Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[B11] Failed to start package manager

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by JakubSmaga, Mar 18, 2018.

1. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

After installing B11 I've got "failed to start package manager" window, I've tried to use B10 after that (Which worked before) and now it also has this error.

Editor.log:

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @JacobSmaga ,

Did you update your Windows OS last week by any chance?

Regards,

Pascal

3. PJBowron

PJBowron

@okcompute_unity
    Hi, another user here with the Package Manager timeout issue.
    My main versions in use are 2017.2.1p2 and 2017.3.1p3, and I'm running on Windows 10 Enterprise v.1709 (OS Build 16299.309)

To your question above, I did receive a Windows update last week, however I'm reasonably sure that I was still able to launch Unity for several days before this problem started (I was working fine during office hours on the 16th (GMT), but by evening the package manager was failing).

I was following one of your other conversations and tried the patched upm-win.exe that you offered, but that exe unfortunately failed to run at all.

Let me know if I can help diagnose this any more

Thanks

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

5. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Yes, I did. Here's my update history:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. PJBowron

PJBowron

Thanks Pascal, but I still get the timeout when running 2017.2 ('2017.2.1p2 (1dc514532f08) revision 1950996') with the new upm-win:

[Package Manager] Server::EnsureServerProcessIsRunning -- ReadyRequest exceeded maximum alloted time, ran for [10] seconds
    [Package Manager] Server::Kill -- Server was shutdown
    [Package Manager] PackageManager Server::Start -- Process restart attempt #1
    [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 51472 was selected
    [Package Manager] Server::EnsureServerProcessIsRunning -- ReadyRequest exceeded maximum alloted time, ran for [11] seconds
    [Package Manager] PackageManager Server::Start -- Process restart attempt #2
    [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 50647 was selected
    [Package Manager] Server::EnsureServerProcessIsRunning -- ReadyRequest exceeded maximum alloted time, ran for [11] seconds
    [Package Manager] PackageManager Server::Start -- Process restart attempt #3
    [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 59383 was selected
    [Package Manager] Failed to start Unity Package Manager: operation timed out.

Regarding updates, my last quality update was KB4074588, installed on 15th Feb; a driver update installed on 20th Feb. More interesting perhaps, there was an update to Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 (March 2018 KB890830) installed on Thursday 15th March (a day before the problem began for me).

7. PJBowron

PJBowron

@okcompute_unity
    Hi Pascal - FYI we've found a workaround to the problem in our studios, which is to add a process exclusion in Windows Defender for upm-win.exe

8. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Tried B12 (Job system preview build), still not working.

9. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

I've tried using B8 and now it also has this error. @okcompute_unity Do you know what causes this?

10. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@JacobSmaga Can you try to add a process exclusion in Windows Defender for upm-win.exe? Windows Defender seems to be the culprit for most people.

11. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

I'm not sure if it's a Defender problem since I've disabled it through Registry Editor 2 years ago but I'll re-enable it and give it a try.

12. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Still the same:
    Update: Fixed it by uninstalling the latest Windows security update. I'm sure that this problem will come back after I'll install this update again.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  13. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@JacobSmaga That is good news! Thank you for the update. I'm trying to get in touch with Microsoft to fix this issue for everyone and so you don't have to face it again.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  14. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We have an official response from Microsoft. This is a bug in Windows Defender Beta. Are you or your company in the beta program?

Here the workaround for the problem:

The recommended workaround for anyone who does hit this is to revert the antimalware platform to the version before the Beta. From an elevated command line prompt:

"%programfiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -resetplatform

Pascal

JakubSmaga likes this.
  15. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

I'm not even sure since I have disabled my Defender through registry editor 2 years ago. Seems like it's fixed now.