Search Unity

Azure[Sky] - Dynamic Skybox

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by DenisLemos, May 1, 2015.

1. one_one

one_one

Awesome! I hope that means we'll also see Azure for HDRP :)

2. w0rksgames

w0rksgames

Hello it's me again,

I already wrote an Mail to "sevenstarsgames@gmail.com" but unfortunately I didn't get an answer : /

I would like to clarify this by mail please.

3. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    I'm sorry I had not noticed your email yet, for some reason it had been marked as spam.

To change the intensity and color of the directional light, you need to set the properties on the "Lighting" tab of the day profiles. Note that you will only notice the changes at the same time as you edit if the profile being edited is currently in use by the sky manager, the sky manager by default always uses the first profile from the "Default Day Profiles" list. So if you are customizing a new profile, add that profile to the first element of the "Default Day Profiles" list on the "Profile Controller" tab of sky manager to see the changes in real time.
    Capture1.jpg

There is no precise way to make the day last 12 minutes and the night last 8 minutes.
    • The first thing you need to do is set the "Day Length" on the "Time Controller" tab of the sky manager to 18, so the full day cycle will be 18 minutes. Also check the "Set Time of Day by Curve" option.
      Capture2.jpg
    • A day cycle is made up of 24 hours and in this case the entire 24 hour day-cycle has been set to last 18 minutes. The question here is not how many minutes of the day length will be daytime and how many will be night, but actually the question is how many hours of the 24 hour day-cycle will be within the daytime and how many will be within the night.

Example:
      In the image below the day length curve is set to linear, in which case the time of day goes normally.
      Capture3.jpg

In the following image I added to the curve two keys to delimit the boundaries of daytime and night.
      The first key at time=6 and value=6.
      The second key at time=18 and value=18.
      Capture4.jpg
      But nothing has changed yet and the time of day is still goes normally.

Now if you move the two keys that were created in the previous step either to the right or to the left but keeping the value, you are actually already changing the length of the day and night. In the image below, I moved the first key 2-hours to the left and moved the second key 2-hours to the right. In this situation, the 24-hour cycle will be 16 hours at daytime and 8 hours at night. You just need to adjust the length of daytime and night to fit your needs.
      Capture5.jpg
    I answered here because it can help someone with the same questions.

4. w0rksgames

w0rksgames

Hello, thanks for writing that helped me a lot :) !

- how do i get these Warning messages away ? how can I turn this off ?
    https://ibb.co/6ZLvY5P

- how can I correctly adjust the light so that it goes with the Sun ?

- In the Documentation it says that you have to put the Shaders in "always included shaders" I haven't done that & it still works in the finished Build / why that ?

- whenever the sun goes down, the frames go down significantly / i dont know why !

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  5. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    I do not know what this is but it does not seem to be related to Azure.

As already answered in the previous post, you can adjust the directional light intensity by the "Intensity" property of the "Lighting" tab of your day profile. By default, the property is set to curve type, so you can edit the curve and set different values for each time of day. Just set a value close to zero for the night time.

Unity only includes in the build shaders that are referenced in some script or material. Each material can use only one shader at a time. So when you build the project Unity will only include in the build the shader currently used by the sky material, but if in another scene you are using a different sky setting that forces the sky material to use a different shader variation, then will run a error (pink color) because the shader that the sky material needs in this other scene was not included in the build.

The error did not occur to you because either you only use one scene with only one sky setting, or you are using the same sky setting for all the scenes.

But this will no longer be necessary starting from the next update because all the shader variations will be referenced by the sky controller script.

Are you using realtime shadows?
    I think this is Unity side, Unity considerably increases the number of draw calls and polygons when a directional light with real-time shadows is near the horizon. Unfortunately I have not yet found a workaround for this.

6. w0rksgames

w0rksgames

- Must i use Realtime Shadows ? °°

- I didn't mean the " intensity " but that the shadows of Objects move if sun goes down & up.

- So it would be better if I included the shaders in Unity ?

7. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

That depends a lot on your project and the quality you want to achieve, many simple games that use a day and night system don't use shadows, but that would not be a good choice for a game with some level of realism.
    To maintain performance balance, you sometimes need to save performance from one place to use in another. Using hard shadows and decreasing shadow quality in quality settings can help. Note that I don't even know if this is really the problem.

I'm a little confused, if I'm right, the shadows disappear when the directional light intensity is zero.

Yes, even if you don't need it now, it's always good to be safe than sorry.

8. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox v6.0.0 is now available!

Asset Store link

v6.0.0 (Requires Unity 2019.3.0f3 or higher)
    • Universal Render Pipeline support.
    • New plug and play Output System.
    • Time Direction can now move backwards.
    • Dynamic clouds now change the movement direction correctly without rotating the entire sky.
    • New Inspector.
    • Bug fixes.
    Important notes:
    • Always save a backup of your project before updating the package.
    • A lot of things have changed and the new version has no backward compatibility.
    • The new version is only available for Unity 2019.3.0f3 or higher, the old version will still be available to users of previous Unity versions.
    • Unity 2019.3.0 is already available for download from Unity Hub.

9. marcrem

marcrem

Hi, is there any way to disable Azure windzone control? I'd like to control my windzone externally, but Azure keeps zeroing it out (it's at 0 in my profile).

Thanks

10. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    Azure controls only its own Wind Zone that comes with the prefab, just select the WindZone game object from the sky prefab and disable it, then create your own Wind Zone and use it as you want.

11. gomurae_unity

gomurae_unity

How can I stop the 'Timeline'?
    I want time to be always noon.

12. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    Set the "Day Length" to zero. When the day length is zero, the time of day remains static and does not change automatically.
    Timeline.jpg

13. gomurae_unity

gomurae_unity

14. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox v6.0.1

Asset Store link

This is just a minor patch update. Since the new version was made completely from scratch, I just forgot to implement the "quickly date selector" functionality using the middle button of the calendar header. Now when the middle button on the calendar header is pressed, an extra selector will appear to travel long distances between month and year dates as was usual in previous versions.
    CustomDateSelector.png

ftejada likes this.
  15. transat

transat

@DenisLemos The sun and moon seem to shine through my terrain. I'm using URP. Any idea how I could fix this?

16. transat

transat

And the mountains in my background have gone white, which appears to be linked to _TemporaryColorTexture in Azure Fog, according to the frame debugger. I don't know if it makes a difference but the terrain texture files I use are originally white (I add color to them with Microsplat).

17. transat

transat

All good. Had to tweak the scattering distance.

DenisLemos likes this.
  18. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

I was going to tell you to adjust the "Mie Distance" in the Options tab of the Sky Controller. Glad you already solved the issue.

This happens when the fog is set too close to the camera, so the Mie scattering coming from the sun and moon seems to pass through the walls and mountains. In dense fog scenes, it is recommended to adjust the mie distance in the options tab.

19. transat

transat

DenisLemos likes this.
  20. transat

transat

@DenisLemos Is there a problem with the Crest integration? Tried following the instructions on page 1 but now the Crest surface has gone pink (underwater is fine). I'm using the last version of everything.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.22.48 pm.png

21. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    Are you using Crest from the Asset Store? I tested Azure with the free Crest from the GitHub a few days ago and everything worked fine. Unfortunately I do not have the version of the plugin sold in the Asset Store to do the necessary tests.

The Crest developer probably changed something in the shader code for this version. By the error message the problem seems to be related to the variable "worldPos".

The line of code that should be causing the problem seems to be this:
    col = ApplyAzureFog(half4(col, 1.0), input.worldPos);
    • Check if the "worldPos" variable has not changed its name. Generally, each developer uses a different name.
    • Check if the keyword "input" used to access the vertex shader inputs has not changed. Generally, each developer also uses a different name.

transat likes this.
  22. transat

transat

Code (CSharp):
    1. col = ApplyAzureFog(half4(col, 1.), input.positionWS_fogFactor.xyz);
    does the trick.

DenisLemos likes this.
  23. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Nice!
    Thanks for sharing the fix, I already updated the instructions on the first page with this information.

unityunity