Search Unity

Graphics Azure[Sky] - Dynamic Skybox

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by DenisLemos, May 1, 2015.

1. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Working in progress...

Daytime cycle from sunrise to sunset showing the realistic effect of Earth's shadow in the atmosphere of the new sky model in development for the Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox.

(Sorry for the poor video quality)

The video shows the atmospheric effect at a median altitude because the terrain is small, but it is possible to determine the minimum and maximum height at which the camera will affect the atmosphere. For example, if you set the height to a low value of 800 meters, the atmosphere will look smaller and the altitude variation will be more noticeable during gameplay.
    ScatteringTab.JPG

You can see the altitude variation of the new sky model here in this old GIF. Now the effect is already improved, but it gives you a sense of how the effect works.
    https://imgur.com/OvekD4q

Soon I will send to Asset Store an update with the new sky model in Beta version. I'm still trying to decide the best way to make the night sky, if with the fake moon light like the standard sky model(best performance). Or realistic with moon light scattering(worst performance).​

2. marcatore

marcatore

Good...really good.
    About your last sentence...why not leave to the user the choice ? I imagine it's more work for you but I think that an asset like this should give the opportunity to choose where sacrifice quality for speed or speed for quality.

ftejada and DenisLemos like this.
  3. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Thank you!
    I think the choice is going to have to be by the more realistic, does not mean that the default mode is of worse quality, because if you look at the video showcase in the Asset Store page you will see that the night sky of the default sky model is amazing.

The user's choice will be what sky model to use, the default model is faster and has many customization options that can range from a realistic game to a stylized game.

The new sky model leans more to the realistic side, but will not have many styling options because the data is precomputed. And also for one of the most realistic and complete sky models currently, it will demand more performance than the default model.

Right after I wrote the last post, I came to realize that I'm going to have to make the night sky with the moon light scattering for the following reason. The new sky model has altitude variation and the default model does not have, so that the night of the new sky model also has altitude variation, it will be necessary to calculate the moon light scattering.

4. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Working in progress...

The altitude variation of the new sky model is amazing!
    AzureSpaceScreenshot.jpg

The standard mode of controlling the intensity of the stars and Milky Way is customizing in the curve field, usually the intensity of the stars is set on the curve to be zero during the daytime and only appear at night.

Now with the altitude variation of the new sky model, I added a property to set the intensity of the stars when the camera is at high altitude. Then at daytime as the camera goes up in the sky, the stars gradually appear as the atmosphere grows thinner. But it is also possible to keep the intensity of the stars at zero if necessary.

Below is the link to an animated GIF that I did to show the updated effect of the altitude variation. The GIF is not in excellent quality, but you can have a good idea of how the effect is.

(3.35MB)
    https://imgur.com/a/VN8FM
    GIF2.gif

5. angel_m

angel_m

Good asset.
    What is the water-ocean asset are you using in the Aerial perspective demo from the Asset Store?
    Thanks.

6. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!

The water you are referring to is a Horizon[ON] feature, in fact it is not a true water, but an effect painted directly on the terrain as you can see in the attached image.
    Horizon[ON]Water.jpg

7. angel_m

angel_m

But, in the demo I can see the little waves moving...

8. Mark_T

Mark_T

Indeed, it`s really nice.
    One question: is the camera altitude/movement/distance to the ground realistic? Are the terrain assets placed and respecting real life size/altitude? How much freedom or accuracy is allowed or mandatory with the new realistic sky model?

9. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, it works like ordinary water. The moving waves are Normal Maps, the problem is that you can not use this water in the habitual way, it's a feature of HorizonON's terrain tool and it's painted directly on the ground based on an Alpha Map. It's not a plane mesh that you can move on the scene.

You are free to set the minimum and maximum altitude you want, but you will be somewhat limited to Unity's flat terrain.
    New Sky Model.JPG
    • As you can see in the image above, in Sky Altitude you can set a minimum and maximum value that the camera altitude will affect the sky, when the camera is below the minimum value, the sky will look at sea level regardless of the minimum altitude you set.
    • When the camera is above the maximum altitude value, then you will be out of the atmosphere, practically in outer space. This new sky model continues to work like a skybox, so in a way, you never really leave the planet. You will not, for example, be able to use this sky model in an interplanetary simulator like No Man's Sky because you will always be trapped inside the skybox.
    • In Layers you can clip a minimum and maximum value of the altitude that the sky will be able to reproduce. For example, if you set the max layer to 0.5, when the camera exceeds the maximum altitude you set in Sky Altitude, the atmosphere will not represent that it is in outer space, but rather that at medium altitude, and no matter how high the camera stays in the sky, the atmosphere will never go beyond that apparent altitude.
      If you set the min layer to 0.5, then the camera may be at sea level, but the atmosphere will represent that you are still at medium altitude. This option give you a great power of customization.

As I have already mentioned, the problem is the flat Unity terrains that do not respect the size and circumference of the Earth. So for a realistic look, you'll be limited to small altitudes for a while.
    So the higher the camera goes up in the sky, the terrain will look smaller and consequently it will come out of alignment with the sky horizon.

In this image I am using HorizonON at a maximum altitude of 1000 meters, the mountains are about 200 meters high. In this case it is as if the atmosphere were the size of 1000 meters, giving the impression that the planet is very small.
    Sky1.jpg

In the next image, the camera is at the same altitude of 1000 meters, the difference is that I've clipped the layers between (0.0 - 0.4). Now it seems that the atmosphere is bigger.
    Sky2.jpg

As you can see, the fog applied on the terrain gives the curvature effect of the Earth, the problem is when the camera is at high altitude. The terrain then no longer reaches the horizon and the fog finds nothing on the way to be able to simulate the Earth's curvature.
    Sky3.jpg
    For this reason, for now we are limited to a small altitude for the effect to work as realistically as possible. But this is not blame of the new sky model as it was developed to simulate the atmosphere on a spherical terrain with the actual size of the Earth. The problem is the traditional way that terrains works on Unity and other engines.

I already have in mind a possible fix for this problem, in theory should work but I have not yet tested in practice because it will take a little more time to do and the next update of the package with the new sky model is ready to send to the Asset Store, only need to do the documentation, the images and ads videos.

My idea is to create a fake planet using the Ray Marching technique to fill the region where there is no terrain until the merge of the horizon line and mix this fake planet with the terrain closest to the horizon. So it will not matter how high the camera is, because the circumference of the fake planet will fit perfectly with the sky horizon.
    And if the camera reaches absurdly high altitudes, the terrain will disappear completely and only the sphere of planet Earth will be visible. Like I said, it's still just theory, but I see no reason to not work.

Akshara, ftejada and Shodan0101 like this.
  10. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Working in progress...
    In the new sky model, the brightness around the sun and moon also changes according to altitude.

The halo appears in the sky when the light of the sun or the moon is reflected and refracted by ice crystals in the atmosphere, the higher the camera's altitude in the sky, the less the amount of atmosphere between the light source and the camera, consequently producing less brightness around the light source.

Sun:
    GIF3.gif

Moon:
    GIF4.gif

The new update is now ready to be sent to the Asset Store, we just need to do the documentation and an advertisement video. Soon I'll make a demonstration scene available for testing.

Thanks guys!​

ftejada and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  11. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

A short video demonstrating the new sky model. Soon I will arrange a demo scene for testing.

(The quality of the video is low, so disregard the effect of "ring" when the sky gets darker. This is due to poor video quality.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  12. clagrens

clagrens

hello, look at this pictures!
    does this plugin not support realtime gi?

the first picture is not bake,it is real lighting. The house is all black

the second picture is baked,and when I save it and restart unity,the lighting is no real. The house is not in black shadow.

what happen?I use 5.6.3
    QQ截图20170925190448.png QQ截图20170925190724.png

13. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    If you test this demo scene, which is included in the package, you will see that the lighting is working in real time.

Did you add some reflection probe to the scene?
    The ambient light intensity of the first image appears to be set to a low value. If you are using ambiet source as skybox and you want the objects in the shadows to appear more clearly then try increasing the intensity of the ambient in the Lighting tab. If you are using ambient source as Color, then set a whiter ambient color.

The second image I can not explain why the bake fails after closing and reopening Unity, I made a bake here to test, I closed and opened Unity and I had no problem with the bake.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  14. Killersan

Killersan

I think that it seems like the building was not set to static, that's why GI was not baked for it.

DenisLemos likes this.
  15. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Azure 4.1.0 is available!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36050

Version 4.1.0 comes with a new optional precomputed sky model that is based on today's most realistic sky model. To switch between the two types of sky models, use the Sky Model property on the Scattering tab.

The next challenge now is to create a cloud system that supports altitude variations to work with the new sky model.​

magique, Shodan0101, ftejada and 3 others like this.
  16. ksam2

ksam2

Cool job man :)

DenisLemos likes this.
  17. gio_987654321

gio_987654321

hello! a very nice job . thats bring light to project.

I have got just a little problem . I used multiscene architecture in my project .
    each Azure Sky component are displayed once by once .

When i make the executable i got 1/3 or 2/3 scenes randomly with a totally pink color window (??)
    in authoring version there is any problems : all scenes are ok !

ive tried many things ( to attribuate a new material name to each sky ) but nothing ...

what is you advice .?

many thanks and best regards

18. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    I think it must be because the shaders are not being included in the build.

Unity only includes in the build the shaders referenced in the materials. To improve performance, Azure has different shader versions that will be defined in the materials of sky and fog depending on the customization you set in the Inspector.

So when the project is compiled, only the shader that is defined in the materials at compile time is included. During the gameplay when you start a scene that uses a different sky setting, Azure will look for the other version of the most appropriate shader and will not find it. The pink screen should be for this reason, this does not happen in the Editor because all the shaders are there.

You can create a different sky and fog material for each scene and set these materials in the Objects & Materials tab.

But the most correct thing to do is to include all shader versions in the "Always Included Shaders" array via the menu: Edit>Project Settings>Graphics. So you do not have to create different materials for each scene.
    IncludedShaders.png

ftejada likes this.
  19. gio_987654321

gio_987654321

many many thanks for your help

20. Mark_T

Mark_T

I would love to have the option to add presets for the entire Azure Sky Controller. To press a "+" button to add a new preset to the list, create a new position and/or button in the presets list and to be able with one click to load any Azure preset in any scene of my project. This way I can create a consistent lighting all over the project with a huge workflow improvement. Create 10-20 presets per project and change them according to the needs.
    Is it possible?
    I would even say that this way might be possible to have entire sky animation based on presets. Am I wrong?

ftejada likes this.
  21. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, I already thought about creating a preset system!

But if we think about it a little, Unity already offers us this in a very practical way. Just change the word "presets" to "prefabs". With prefabs we can do exactly the same thing, for example, when you finish customizing a scene and you want to use the same sky setting in another scene, just create a new sky prefab and drag it in the other scene.

Quique-Martinez likes this.
  22. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @_7stars !!
    And have a public array in the inspector that the user chooses the size (7, 31, 1, etc) for the days we want with different configurations with scriptableObjects.

I think it would be very interesting this option since we could save our configurations in profiles as it does for example (Playway Water) and we would not have the limitation of 7 days.

I do not know if I explained well

Even being able to change the values of one profile to another in execution time, would be perfect to be able to make a future system of dynamic climatology

regards

DenisLemos likes this.
  23. Mark_T

Mark_T

It`s true, I didn`t stay to think a little, hehe :)
    I totally forgot about prefabs. To be honest I was thinking to something like a preset which can be accessed like a variable, for a guy like me maybe using playmaker, or maybe somehow linked with the timeline. As an example, I was thinking if a battle occurs in the game and I want some dramatic effects I would have the option to darken the sky, or maybe turn it red, something along those lines.
    Maybe I should stay a bit more and think a little. :)

DenisLemos likes this.
  24. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Okay, the idea of several profiles I found really cool! This would provide an unlimited number of days and it would also be possible to reorder the position of each day in the queue without any difficulty. Another thing is that I could implement an advanced calendar system that I already had in mind, but that due to the current operant mode of Azure, this did not have much need.

Not to mention the huge number of other facilities for the users as you mentioned and also for me as a developer, since I could code every variation of the sky system in different types of profiles. That way, each variation of the sky would work independently of each other making my development easier and also improving the sky performance.

Currently the Standard sky model and the Precomputed sky model are embedded in the same script, and this makes the task of adding just one property in the Custom Inspector very frustrating, so imagine adding a new feature like new cloud type or weather system.

No problems, buddy! I also played many times with PlayWay and Unity's Post Process Stack and it also did not go through my head to use profiles.:)

Using prefabs is a good way to get around the problem, but if we stay to think again, it is also somewhat limited, because there is no way to change the order that the days will pass, because the 7 days will always pass in the same sequence. Using profiles it is possible to create each day as a separate object and just drag to the "calendar(?)" in the Inspector in the desired order.

Thank you guys for the great ideas!

ftejada likes this.
  25. ftejada

ftejada

Glad to help in whatever I can.

One question, I have not had time to try the new version of Azure.
    Did you include in this new version what we talk about ReflectionProbe? As I already had in versions 3.x of Azure but leaving it off at startup to avoid the cause that caused it to be removed in Azure 4.x

regards

26. Mark_T

Mark_T

No problem mate. We`re in the same boat.

I was pleading for a one click presets system inside the inspector because it would be very efficient and convenient to check and compare different lighting conditions and texture behaviors. Using the prefabs feels like a workaround, too many operations. I think, instant feedback is really important in this case.

DenisLemos likes this.
  27. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

I'm sorry, I knew I was forgetting something, I was excited to release the update with the new sky model that I just forgot about the reflection probes. But adding this feature is not difficult as it is up and running in version 3.0.4, I just need to make some adjustments.

I'm going to work on it this weekend.

ftejada likes this.
  28. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Crazy Sale!
    Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox with 40% Off for a limited time.
    From $50 for just $30

This is a good money-saving opportunity, so enjoy it because I do not do it often. The sale ends later this month.

Asset Store page:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36050

Quique-Martinez, Crossway and jmjd like this.
  29. Crossway

Crossway

There is a cool option in TOD and Tenkoku sky that you can move light source upper than sun position. So you can achive nice horizon view without having long-wide shadows. I really need to do same with Azure.

30. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Update to 4.1.1
    ReflectionProbe.JPG

Re-added the feature to control the reflection probe that is attached with Azure[Sky] prefab. I just sent the update to the Asset Store and it should be available in a few days.

Now it is no longer necessary to manually add a reflection probe into the scene to make Azure[Sky] work properly with GI. You can adjust some properties of the reflection probe directly through the Lighting tab in the Azure[Sky] Inspector. If you change the Refresh Mode to "Via Scripting" then Azure[Sky] will refresh the reflection probe at a time rate you determine in the Inspector, this is a good option to improve performance of your lighting.

If your lighting does not change very often, then you have no reason to update the reflection probe in each frame. You can then set an refresh time based on the speed that your lighting changes so you do not spend unnecessary processing. If you use GI, then this option can dramatically increase the performance of your scene.

NOTE: By default, the reflection probe controls are turned Off. You can enable this feature via the Lighting tab.

Akshara and ftejada like this.
  31. ftejada

ftejada

Thank you very much for including it again.
    I think the more options (even if they are deactivated of base) the better Azure.

Again, thank you very much

regards

DenisLemos likes this.
  32. Crossway

Crossway

There is something wrong with Precomputed Sky fog! it makes whole scene too dark.

33. clagrens

clagrens

I find out the reason.
    The problem is Unity Bake System's Bug

I uncheck the "Auto bake" option in lighting window , so that the Scene Don't bake when unity restart.

When I re-check it , everything is ok!

thanks! I can't wait to use azure sky 4.1.1!

34. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, I could confirm the problem here. My test scene was already dark, so I could not see the difference, but when I tested in a brighter scene, the difference was quite evident. It only dims the area of the screen that has no fog, so it will be very simple to correct.

I did a quick test here and the problem was solved, but I'm going to need to change the fog to be applied to the scene based on the "distance", just like the fog of the standard sky model. Currently the amount of fog from the precomputed sky model is based on "density" rather than distance.

Thanks for letting me know about the error!

When you disable GI in real time, you need to bake the lighting manually, it may not be a Unity Bug, maybe you forgot to bake the lighting manually?

• When you check the "Auto Generate" option, you tell Unity to use GI in real time.
    • When you turn off the "Auto Generate" option, you simply turn off GI, so it is normal to be disabled when you open the Editor again.
    • If you do not want to use GI in real time and instead use "Bake", you must uncheck the "Auto Generate" option and then click the "Generate Lighting" button next to it. Unity will bake the lighting the way you have set it up and it will save the light and reflection information into a folder with the same name as your scene, so when you close and open the Editor again everything will be working. Note that "Bake" may take a few minutes or more depending on the complexity of your lighting.

ftejada and Crossway like this.
  35. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox v4.1.1 is now available.

I just sent another update with the fix of the darkened effect on the screen when using the fog of the precomputed sky model, this new update should be available in a few days. A "Black Screen Fix" slider has been added to the "Fog" tab, the slider is enabled only when using the precomputed sky model. With this slider you can regulate how far the darkned effect should be removed.

FogTab.JPG

36. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. I'm using Azure 4.0.0 and when the timeline of the sky is set to 18.05 both the sun's light and moon's light turn off making the entire scene black. My scenes need to run through the full 24 hours on loop, but the brief moment of no lights is very noticeable to the player. How can I fix this?

37. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Hi!
    Update to a newer version!

In version 4.0.0, Azure automatically changes the intensity of the directional lights to zero as they approach below the horizon line. Even if the curves that control the intensity of sun and the moon directional lights are with a positive value, the change will occur automatically.

Starting from version 4.0.1, two toogles were added in the Options tab to disable the automatic intensity control of the directional lights of the sun and the moon.
    • Automatic Sun Intensity;
    • Automatic Moon Intensity;
    OptionsTab.JPG

You can disable only the automatic intensity of the sun, you do not need to do this for both lights. But remember that in this case you will need to set up in the curve that controls the intensity of sun directional light in the Lighting tab the moment to turn off the light component. So you can set in the curve to keep one of the directional lights active until the other one rises in the sky.

Be careful not to leave both directional lights active at the same time for too long as this can reduce performance.

[Edited]
    Save a backup of the project before importing the new version of Azure because it is possible that some Azure property has changed and you have to customize Azure again.

If you do not want to update Azure, then read this post #449 which shows you how to edit the script manually to remove automatic control of the directional light intensity of the sun.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Crossway, RPowers and ftejada like this.
  38. RPowers

RPowers

Thanks!

39. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Working in progress...
    The next big update of Azure[Sky] Dynamic Skybox will change the way you work and customize the sky system to another level.

The next big update will come with a profile system and a calendar in the Inspector.
    The user will no longer be limited to only 7 days of customization, with the profile system the user can create and customize as many day profiles as he wants and it will also be possible to share the day profiles with other team members.
    The profile system will be similar to the one used in the Unity Post Processing Stack.

AzureCalendar.JPG

With the calendar system added in the Inspector, the user can attach a different day profile for each day of the year.

In the Options tab there will be a field for the user to attach a standard profile. The standard profile will be used on the days of the year when it does not have a defined profile, so the user does not necessarily have to create a profile for every day of the year, but only for the days that are of interest to him.

The calendar system will work in simple and advanced "Time Mode". In this way, games that do not need the realistic position of the sun and moon will still be able to make use of the calendar system along with the weather system that if possible I intend to implement along with the big update. This will be a good feature to use in games that have seasons like farm-style games, Harvest Moon and Life is Feudal: Forest Village.​

40. ftejada

ftejada

hi @_7stars

I think it's a good idea for this feature that you are including. Wishing you to leave.

On the other hand as an idea, it would be very good to have an approach where the user created several profiles (for example 7, 30, 4 ... whatever they are) and that each profile has the type of day and night it wants, what are you doing now.

But let there be a random mode in which the calendar chooses those profiles randomly. So users should only create a few profiles with which they are satisfied, and randomly the calendar would choose them randomly and not have to use the standard profile for each day that does not carry a defined profile.
    Not to mention the advantage that everything happens in a random and non-predefined way.

On the other hand, (and I do not know if you're taking it into account for the new calendar system) is that you could switch between different profiles during the same day.
    I think that would be very good especially when you enter a climatology system or even when users want to introduce an independent climatology system of Azure.

This would give Azure immense versatility. Since it gives more options instead of removing them as other assets do

Regards

DenisLemos and magique like this.
  41. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, you can create as many day profiles as you want. The characteristics of each day profile will be configured in its own Inspector.

This is a good idea. It will do a bit of work, but I can change the default profile to a list where users can add and remove profiles like the "Outputs" tab lists. Then the day profiles on this list will be used randomly on days when do not have a defined day profile.

And the best thing is that this does not exclude the possibility of the user to continue using a single standard profile, since the user can add only one profile to the list.

As the Azure customization is by curves, you do not have as much need to be changing the profile during the same day since you can change the value of the properties in the timeline.

The array that stores the profiles is a public variable, so you can use your own scripts to access it and replace the profiles of each day as many times as you want.

Since this is not a visual feature in the Inspector, there is no reason why I should not try to implement it. What I can do is try to create a method that makes a smooth transition from the current profile to a new profile just like it is in PlayWay. So you can call this method every time you want to change the profile on the same day.

I do not know if I got it right, but what I'm going to do is add two pivot objects, one for each directional light. Then, instead of applying the rotation and position changes directly to the directional lights, it will be applied to their respective pivot objects.

This way you can freely drag the directional lights of the sun and moon out of the scene or wherever you want and the "Sunshaft caster" objects will no longer be needed.

Ps: If anyone has any ideas, do not hesitate to propose it here in the forum. Any ideas are welcome, and as I'm rewriting all C# scripts, this is the best time for me to try to implement new features!

Akshara and ftejada like this.
  42. ftejada

ftejada

It is also a good idea to mix profiles by weight as PWW. I think it is essential when we want sudden climatic changes such as in a tropical climate.

The idea is that when the climatology system changes to (rain, snow, etc), send to Azure, by a public function, to change between the current profile that carries the Azure calendar and the profile that the user wants.
    And when the weather system returns to be sunny (without rain, snow, etc, etc) that sends a message to Azure to regain control of the profile that corresponds in the current day by its calendar.

I do not know if it is understood

Sorry for my clumsy English.

regards

DenisLemos likes this.
  43. ippdev

ippdev

Not sure you can do this but is it possible to have two cloud layers. I love the dynamic wispy clouds. If this type of movement could be used for a cumulus or big fluffy or thunderhead type clouds I don't think one could ask for too much more. The archviz folks I have shown this to love it.

DenisLemos likes this.
  44. marcatore

marcatore

I think that a weather system is one of the next key point you should develop... :)
    I think that as idea it's enough for a long time. :)

Jokes apart, it will be really useful. I know you already replied to this in a positive way...so it just a reminder :)

45. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes I understood!

What you said is basically how I want to make the Weather System. I'm going to create a tab in the Azure Inspector specifically to control the weather, in this tab I want to put some fields for the user to attach the profile with the specific configuration for each type of climate. Maybe a ReorderableList(like in the Outputs tab) to allow the user to create as many kind of climate as they want.

There will be a list with each type of climate:
    Default; (will use the attached profile in the calendar)
    Cloudy;
    Raining;
    Raining heavily;
    Snowing;
    Etc...

So for example, the user will create a profile and configure how he wants the rainy day and attach that profile to the "Rainning" field of the Weather System tab. The idea is to allow the user to create as many types of climate as he wants. Then during the day the user will be able to switch between the various types of climate that he has created.

This is not too difficult to do, what will give me more work will be to mix the profiles to make the transition between the sudden changes of the climate be smooth.

It is interesting to note that with this Weather System, it still will be possible to configure the climate in a linear way with the system of curves. For Stardew Valley style games where the weather has specific days and times to change, just need to make climate changes directly on the timeline of the profiles attached on the calendar instead of using the climate types of the Weather System tab.

Yes!
    I will need to completely overhaul the Cloud System to work with the Weather System, so I have in mind to make the clouds work by layers.

This will be necessary to make climate change. For you to have an idea of the problem, Azure currently has 3 different shaders only for the clouds (No Clouds, Static Clouds, Dynamic Clouds). This is a problem because you can not do climate change if each type of cloud is in a different shader because there is no way to mix two shaders.

So each type of cloud will have to work in layers in the same shader, so it will be possible to make one type of cloud appear while another disappears, or even maintain more than one layer of cloud at the same time.

This will not be as simple to do, because as incredible as it may seem, clouds are the hardest things to do in a sky system.

ftejada likes this.
  46. magique

magique

Just a thought, but please try to make the whole weather system with the ability to replace them with 3rd party alternatives. Just in case someone already has a weather system that they prefer. For example, I have PA Particle Field and it is super high performance for snow and rain and if it could be controlled by Azure then that would be great.

Also, consider the ability to tie weather to systems like Microsplat/Megasplat to adjust terrain snow, rain, wetness, etc. I could also see great use for hooking into the new Vegetation System which has the ability to change vegetation to go from spring to fall to winter, etc.

ftejada and Akshara like this.
  47. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

Yes, i agree with you!
    Azure is in need of a weather system for a some time, but I do not want to do something rushed and deliver an unfinished system or just do "more of the same" without any innovation.

As I am now reformulating the entire sky system, with the ideas I received, I found the ideal model to implement the Weather System using profiles. You can read about it in the topic above where I tried to explain how the weather system will work.

Regards

48. DenisLemos

DenisLemos

It will be extremely necessary to make the weather system of Azure in any way compatible with the most famous terrains shaders. I still do not have these assets, but when the development of this new version of Azure that I am working on is more advanced I will do some tests with this third-party assets.

About the particle effects is a bit more complicated because the asset you mentioned uses its own particle system, and initially the Azure particles will use the standard particle system of unity. But you'll still be able to create a simple script to pick up the values of the Azure variables and apply it to the your 3rd party particle system.

ftejada likes this.
  49. magique

magique

Yeah, what I'm thinking is that it could be designed in such a way that we could override an interface and have callbacks that start and stop weather events like rain and snow. And perhaps there are some parameters for how heavy the snow or rain is. Then with that interface we could just turn on/off 3rd party assets systems.

ftejada and DenisLemos like this.
  50. ftejada

ftejada

hi @_7stars

I follow much the line that says @magique.

One of the reasons why Azure seems to be the best in its field (even though today it lacks features that its competitors have) is because you can activate / deactivate any feature of Azure and have a third party because you like it more.
    That is one of the most important points that made me buy Azure vs. Unistorm for example, etc.

For example deactivate the Azure clouds and include the Kode80 clouds that seem to me the best.
    With the climatic system I would like something similar since as says @magique there are very good alternatives like liquidum that I seem the best or PA particle for its performance.

I understand that this flexibility of Azure should follow, because it is one of the things that distinguish it from competitors. It gives options instead of limiting us options

I think Azure's "Output system" system can be very important, for what it says magique to be able to play with third-party asset to change grass color, etc. (Infinnigrass, etc.) or terrain textures with Megasplat which is the one I use or others like RTP.

If you think about how to do it could be a very powerful tool for these purposes.

Anyway, they are just suggestions that we make. But I think they are very important because they give Azure great versatility apart from how good it is.

Greetings.

Crossway likes this.