Search Unity

Axis Game Factory

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by HeavyMcD, May 9, 2013.

?

Would you buy this?

1. Yes

41.7%
  2. This thing is awesome!

33.3%
  3. I want to use this code for my games

17.3%
  4. No

13.7%
  5. What the hell is this thing?

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thank you! I have made it my quest to change all that. Map making should and can be Fun!! The tools just need to do what they are supposed to.. AGF- Making the game is the game!

2. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

wow, im totally impressed. is this supposed to be a game engine like software, or is it like a building application.

but anyways all look forward into the development!

P.S i voted for coding in this application, because it would give developers (or young developers) to give a wide range of imagination and gameplay into there game or application (or something like that)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  3. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

My original idea was that the "game" is making a game. Build - Play - Share. I will also be able to sell it to Unity users to make their own games with too as well as the ability to use the framework to provide an editor for their games. Sorry if it doesn't make sense I am really tired.. Been up for like 30 hours now.. Try out the PC build.Mac version doesn't work I'm told. Watch the tutorial videos and play around with it.. Get back to me when you have time with your crits.. Thx...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

Wowzers! That's really cool! Although I know you already said it has nothing to do with actual Game development, you should really consider making a Unity extension from this. Either way this looks like a lot of fun :)

5. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Funny you say that. I have decided to shift my focus on AGF and I am going to make just that. A standalone terrain editor. Let me know if are interested in how I see it come together.. My skype is heavyh20

6. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

That's awesome! If you need some beta, or alpha testers hit me up! Also you should consider this to not only be a terrain editor, but a level design tool. Just think about it. Make amazing terrain. Create awesome Rooms / Dungeons right in the editor. Build prototypes for games instantly. All without the need for external tools. Haha I sound like a salesperson :)

7. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

OMG, Your'e killing me.. Were you the fly on the wall when we had our meeting today? Hook me up on skype so we can talk..

8. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

i got the application and it looks like it doesn't work, i got the mac build and a soon as i click open it doesn't work. is there any more things i have to do to get it to work or is that how you do it? my specs are

IMAC 27-in, mid 2010

Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

P.S i got the latest build

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  9. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Yeah sorry.. the mac is broken.. my bad.. Ill get a new one up soon..

10. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Absolutely stunning!! Really love the simplicity of it, but it can create so many things, limited only to the imagination!

11. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

One thing it actually reminded me of, is the Neverwinter Nights Obsidian and Aurora Toolset that the game had :D

12. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

$Buy_02.png

WOW thanks,, If you want to be a tester. Please mail me personally to add you to the "new" and private build dropbox. I have had torrent issues this week.. My mail is Matt@heavyh2o.com

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  13. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

NOTE TO ALL:

my new website's downloads page:
    $Downloads.jpg

We have over 60,000 users now, but not quite the way I had hoped.. Damn torrents.. Its not even done guys..

I am closing down the website downloads page..

We are now focusing ONLY on a pro-version of AGF. To be released in the next 2 months.

I will be posting later to outline what that is exactly.

I am only looking for 10 PC users and 10 Mac users to test.
    If you want to participate in the "pro" testing, you need to e-mail me personally
    You don't have to have a ton of experience or be a pro developer. Newbies and hobbyists are welcome as this is what AGF is geared for. You MUST however, have a basic understanding of Unity as parts of our code will require plug-ins to interface with it. I also would like to have at least half of the people that want to test be programmers. As our Pro-version will be allowing programmers to make players and character controllers that could be used for AGF and distributed in its in app store as well as be sold in Unity's asset store.. The framework for that model will be outlined in a consistent manner to Unity's asset store but also at a later time.

Our goal sales price for AGF-PROv01 is to start at $90.00 per user NOT PROJECT, per user. At least that is what I am thinking at the moment. Project sales will probably have to be addressed in a different manner.

Again, the actual feature list for the pro-kit will be posted at a later time. In the interim, Imaging your best wet dream as an indie or beginner game developer being fulfilled.

Best,

Matt

to sign up:
    Mail me personally and outline who you are, what you do or want to do
    and why you are dedicated to the project, its quality and its timely completion.
    Matt@heavyh2o.com

PS: I am done messing around, its time to get down to business and complete this thing. If you want to help me, then jump on board. I am not mad about the torrent stuff.. Its just made me more focused...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  14. tweedie

tweedie

This is just too awesome :D Although I'd prefer an in-(unity)editor framework, a standalone works fine for me if it just imports into unity :) The terrain editor looks great as I always struggled to get anything that looked... natural with the unity terrain, haha! Really looking forward to seeing this progress into the 'kit' form. Great work, keep it up! :)

15. LUZDAVIDA

LUZDAVIDA

:)

HI MATT !

Thanks For your Message!

We been talking By mail Some time ago .

As you know I can Help your development Contributing with Original Game Assets Me and My Sister Develop .

And we would love to be In your Unity Extensions / development for the PRO Beta Team.

You can Count With us.

Thanks so much for your kindness and Enthusiasm.

Cheers.

LUZ DINIS

LUZDAVIDA TEAM
    http://luz-da-vida.com.pt

16. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

I sent you a link to the testing area..

17. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for your support. If you would like to participate in testing please let me know.

matt

18. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Pro video:

[video=youtube;JbCLGrw8zbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCLGrw8zbY&feature=c4-overview&list=UULPqwJa_46PkRJsS_iHQLHg

19. pickle-chips

pickle-chips

First of all, this looks great.
    I'm seriously digging the whole terrain editor thing. Would you consider making that part a separate unity plugin? Or make a seperate program That lets you export it to unity? I would be a lot more interested in being able to use it along with unity rather than it being it's own thing.

20. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

That is exactly what it is... Stand alone editor that has it's own file format. Importers and exporters to get data back and forth, in concert with Unity.. I really didn't convey the information properly if you didn't get that.. My bad... This is the first video, I obviously need to make that kind of thing more clear. I also need to make a page that outlines that stuff properly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  21. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  22. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

wow, amazed.

the pro price is even cheaper than the actual unity pro price (witch is better)

are you planning to have an fbx importer or something like that so developers can make there own custom models and meshes, same with textures.
    it really help out all though i can tell thats gonna be to much work. cant wait for the full release!!! to exited.

23. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

AGF is made to work with Unity Pro. Not to replace it. My Objective for AGF Pro was to create a clean, unified, consistent interface that is easy to use and allows for rapid level design. We also made several features that Unity does not have to further expedite game development. You can add objects into AGF but that ability is through plug-ins for Unity Pro. AGF can save scene files that you will be able to load into Unity through importer plug-ins made for Unity Pro. You (or your team) don't have to have several copy's of Unity pro. Just one to export your assets that you would want for your game and to use in AGF. The level designers of your project would not need Unity to use AGF. Its like artists making images for a game in Photoshop. Consider AGF as an external tool in that way.

24. iotech

iotech

This is sick, Matt!

I'd pre-order in a heartbeat if it were usable with the non-Pro Unity. At least now I have a good reason to upgrade I suppose. Great job so far, please keep going!

Gerry

25. Acolit

Acolit

Does it work with voxeland?? Thank you!

26. primus88

primus88

This tool looks amazing!
    Too bad that now I'm passed the level design stage (and passed my budget) or I would buy it on the spot !

For the amount of work put into this tool and the quality it brings I think 100$ is very much worth it.

27. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for all the support guys!

If you send me your e-mails I'll get you on the testing group and you can play with it. I don't have the hooks to Unity complete yet but it is a great way to sketch out environments and play them without any programming.

28. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Terrain Tutorial 01. We discovered a cool technique for making rolling hills that cover an entire 1k terrain quickly. (double the setting for 2k. But understand it will go very slowly as you will be moving MANY vertices each time you edit)

(1) Set General Options" to "Fastest" and Resolution" to something low. You are going to be moving many vertices so you want to set it up so it will run as fast as possible.
    (2) un-check the "Water Active" This will also help to increase frame rate.
    (3) Via the "resolution/Size:" > "Modify..." > "Terrain Settings" menu. Set the terrain resolution to 1024 and the Vegetation resolution: to 512. Start with a 100 meter terrain.
    (4) Adjust the view to see the sculpt-able terrain area that is now defined with a box outline.
    (5) Using the fractal style brush and the grid set to 50 meters sculpt out the terrain
    (6) Toggle between "Painting" and "Planting"
    to get to something that looks like this. NOTE: Adjusting "Density" and "Distance" will make the process of planting faster for your CPU. Lower settings are will increase frame rate.
    (7) Go back to the "resolution/Size:" > "Modify..." > "Terrain Settings" menu. Change 100 to 1000 and click "apply". NOTE: Only change the "Terrain Size" Changing the " Terrain Resolution" will reset the entire height map and result in loss of work.
    (8) Adjust your quality settings in General Options” Place the Character locator and click “Play” You now have a massive 1000X1000 meter environment. Save this as a “preset” so you can use it as a jump point for future projects.

Have fun!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  29. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

The other slides for the tutorial...

$Terrain_06.png $Terrain_07.png

30. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

• Increased Speed- We were able to increase frame rate about 200%
    • Larger Terrains- Up to 2000X2000m terrain area with adjustable resolution and scale.
    • New Terrain Editor GUI- Sculpt, Paint, Plant vegetation - All at the same time or individually.
    • New Vegetation Editor GUI- Unlimited vegetation detail layers.
    • Interactive Density and Distance Sliders with real time visual feedback. Individual Vegetation settings- Set Minimum and Maximum, Width and Height as well as color tint spectrum.
    • Object Selection and Transforming- Select, rotate(r), translate(t) or scale(y) an object or a collection of objects.
    • Object Duplication- Duplicate an an object or a collection of objects (ctrl+d)
    • Copy and Paste- Copy(ctrl+c) and paste(ctrl+v) an object or a collection of objects from the "design" mode to the "build" mode to save as a "custom" object.
    • Grid Toggle- Toggle grid settings by tapping the (z) key

• $AGF_08-22-2013_01.jpg $AGF_08-22-2013_02.jpg $AGF_08-22-2013_03.jpg $AGF_08-22-2013_04.jpg

31. chelnok

chelnok

Not going to repeat all the posts here, but want to say

Very, very impressive work you've done!

ps. dont forget to update the first post in this thread with all the new info

32. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for the props and the reminder. I have been so busy with the development I forgot about that. Good Call !!

33. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

NEW! development testing video!!

[video=youtube;9RnxuBg3j_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RnxuBg3j_o&feature=youtu.be

34. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Interested party Q and A 08.22.2013

(Q) if I made a terrain in AGF can I import it into Unity Pro?

(A) Yes, You will be able to. We haven't release that ability yet as it is not complete. I hope to have that feature released late next week.

(Q) if I did import a terrain would the shader scripts that I see in AGF also be imported?

(A) YES, will provide you with the shaders we made for our tool. There are a few bugs we need to resolve with the way the shader displays on some video cards as well differences between Macs and PCs OS. So what you see in AGF will carry over to Unity properly and therefore work properly on your project's target platform. We I havent tested it on mobile devices yet but we will be doing so as time permits.

(Q) can I import assets from Unity Pro to AGF?

(A) The way it is set up is that you create the files you want to use for AGF as you create any asset to be used in UNITY INDY or UNITY PRO. YOu can also use any objects that are available from the UNITY ASSET STORE The fore mentioned AGF tools batch process all the data for you and creates a package file that AGF can load (import). You are really exporting assets from UNITY PRO. It is important to mention that once these package files are created for AGF you no longer need UNITY to use the assets in AGF. AGF does not need to UNITY PRO to run and create scenes. You only need UNITY PRO to ADD ASSETS and or USE SCENES you create with AGF for your Unity Pro projects. I mention this because in a scenario that you are working with several people on a project only one seat of UNITY PRO is needed for this processing the rest of the team can use AGF to make the scenes.

In a case where the team all want to see the scenes created in AGF All will require UNITY PRO as some of the camera effects and shaders are only available in UNITY PRO. IE water. However We are looking into setting up these PRO type assets to have fallback versions for use in UNITY INDY. I do need to further investigate this though.

(Q) can I export assets from AGF to Unity Pro?

(A) From AGF you simply save your scene files. The tools to get the data back into UNITY PRO will be provided by us.

Part 2 AGF without UNITY PRO IO

(Q) can I create static 3d models and import them? aka buildings, rocks etc?

(A) not at the moment. I believe there are OBJ importers available for use run time UNITY applications but I have not diligently looked into that yet. Many users have asked about this feature. If it is possible I will do my best to make it happen.

(Q) (part 10 can I create animated 3d models and import them?

(A) Still speaking from the standpoint of you not having UNITY PRO the answer is currently No. I will see if this is possible in future releases. To be clear you will be able add animated assets using UNITY PRO for use in AGF.

(Q) (part 2) And set the animation sequences to map to controller actions?

(A) We will provide you with the AGF scene loading source code so you will be able to use any character controller system that you like. Please note that in this scenario you would be able to use AGF as your projects user generated scene creation system or your internal teams player system that would have the hooks you code as your project needs.
    Again AGF does not need Unity in this scenario.

(Q) can I import my own sounds?.

(A) AGF has the ability to use external players you create. So currently your original sound would be handled on the external player side that I outlined above and would require UNITY PRO to implement fully. The assets placed in AGF would have calls to your specific sound files in the player you would make or buy (and modify) from the UNITY ASSET STORE. You would add the needed scripts and code for you to load the AGF scene file format. All the code will be provided by us for you do read our data sets (scene files,models,themes,presets and prefabs) All data generated from AGF are handled in our code for you to simply load them into your project/player. The only additional code you would need to provide is the actual file browsing code for your player. You could write your own but I suggest you use UNIfilebrowser from the UNITY ASSET STORE. It is only $10.00 US and is easy to implement and edit for your project as you like.

UNIfilebrowser from the UNITY ASSET STORE
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/151

(Q) Can I import my own textures?

(A) You currently cannot import textures directly into AGF. I understand that it is possible to import PNG files into UNITY apps at run time but we have not yet set it up. I intend to add this feature but it will be at a later date.

Side Note. I have been asked by users if I will be offering the source code for AGF. I cant say this is immediately possible or what it would cost but we are open to the conversation. Please let me know if your are interested in using AGF as a scene editor/creator or user generated game-play solution for your project.

Another Note. We will be providing 3 different players to test your scenes made with AGF. We plan on making more players as we have time. The source code for the two RPG type players will be made available to users that purchase AGF PRO. The FPS player we used was made with code we bought from the UNITY ASSET STORE as a test to integrate our scene file loading into outside players. We do not have authority from its creator to redistribute. If you want to have the source code for the FPS player you can buy it from the UNITY ASSET STORE

fps player used $30.00 from the UNITY ASSET STORE
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7739

35. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Latest testing video

[video=youtube_share;LythxyeOW9w]http://youtu.be/LythxyeOW9w

36. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Today's video!!!

[video=youtube;5KfsD3vLIf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfsD3vLIf4&feature=youtu.be

37. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Matt this is just insanely amazing!
    Questions:
    Is there any winter textures and environments?
    Is there any way to do underwater type environments

What is the best hardware config to run this.
    I am on a two year old macbook pro and it does not run unity very well.

Also in closing...this is better than unity.

38. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

@Pixlesteam AGFpro will allow you to bring any textures you like into the product via an asset exporter, made to work with Unity Pro.
    You can make underwater environments, Adjust the fog settings to emulate underwater conditions. I could make a preset for you. What I think would be better though is two fog settings. One fore above water and one for below. The fog would automatically change based on the level of the water plane and the camera's y position. We had that in a ways back but it fell out.. I'll add it back into the tool when time permits.

39. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

If you have a friend with Unity pro they can package assets for you to use in AGF. Maybe I can set up a Pro Unity seat her you could control with remote desktop ;P BTW.. AGF will come with a ton of assets.. Mail me and i'll get you on the testers site. matt@heavyh2o.com

40. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

First pass at FPS indoor environment

41. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

very impressive, its nice just to see how the game engine has grown from the first to now. its amazing.

how did you create the file saving system and creating project system, it just makes me wonder

42. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

$Buy_02.png

I'll have to get my programmer to answer that.. I come up with crazy stuff and he makes it happen. We collaborate on how things will come together but he makes the programming magic happen.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  43. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Axis Game Factory (AGF) just hit 100%!!!
    $100%.png

Thank you so much for all the support!!!

44. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

A very impressive tool indeed!

My only concern (as a fellow developer) is an entrepreneurial one. Looking at all the really impressive features built-into the product over the last several months, and yet none of them released? The entire package costs nearly 150$, requires Unity Pro for most of the stuff, and is stand-alone rather than working inside Unity (requiring an import/export step). Here is the thing: You have so much functionality, and yet you took so long to "release". That means that you don't really have customer feedback. People haven't tried it. Only seen the videos.

A much smarter approach is to break down your vision into small parts of the software sold as individual utilities on asset store. For example, some of the "brushes" you have developed (the one that paints meshes on a terrain etc) would really sell well on the Asset Store. Each utility provides feedback, directly from customers, lets you iron out bugs, improve workflow, and most importantly, immediately recovers costs and injects much needed revenue. This iteration also helps generate more ideas, and helps you "iterate" your initial idea/assumptions. Then when it comes time to make the "grand" product, you can combine all your tiny utilities, add some "hidden-until-now" major stuff to it, and present it as the tool that you originally intended. By that time you already have a following.

The way you are doing it now, I think you are risking disappointment. And oh, for the record, been there done that...

45. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for the props. I think... I don't even know what to say about the rest of your note. That's all about your history not mine. Also, for the record, this isn't my first rodeo... I have been in this industry for 23 years, Self employed for the last 17... I appreciate your concern, but I am a big boy and can handle whatever happens.

Thanks again for your support,

Matt

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  46. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Well, that's that then...Wish you the best of luck.

47. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Here are thumbnails of some of the assets that will be shipped with AGFPro1.0. All source art will also be shipped with these assets. 334 assets so far, more to come!

$Contact Sheet-1.jpg $Contact Sheet-2.jpg $Contact Sheet-3.jpg $Contact Sheet-4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  48. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Here are thumbnails of the presets that will be shipping with AGFPro1.0

$Presets_01.jpg $Presets_02.jpg $Presets_03.jpg

49. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

As expected...amazing!
    Very interested to see the asset pass through from Unity in AGF and then back to Unity.

Keep up the hard work!

50. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thank you, We are looking at posting the first run at that code today. If you are not part of the testers group yet please email me at Matt@heavyh2o.com so I can hook you up with the testers version.

Please also get on the G+ Invite only AGF testers community the G+ Open AGF community and or the Facebook AGF page

G+ AGF Testers

https://plus.google.com/communities/101668162114123171613

G+ Open AGF

https://plus.google.com/communities/109424657778091293788

Facebook AGF

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Axis-Game-Factory/485176328242116

Also please subscribe to the You Tube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Heavywatergames

Thanks,

Matt