Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Axis Game Factory

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by HeavyMcD, May 9, 2013.

?

Would you buy this?

1. Yes

41.7%
  2. This thing is awesome!

33.3%
  3. I want to use this code for my games

17.3%
  4. No

13.7%
  5. What the hell is this thing?

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

$As seen on STEAM!!!.png

$Buy_02.png

$AGF_Package_02.png

[video=youtube_share;7QX_DtoPjjs]http://youtu.be/7QX_DtoPjjs

[video=youtube_share;P-GKgu976as]http://youtu.be/P-GKgu976as

[video=youtube_share;9bcdAV5I2eQ]http://youtu.be/9bcdAV5I2eQ

[video=youtube_share;9XwoBmd50xw]http://youtu.be/9XwoBmd50xw

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. tylernocks

tylernocks

Very Nice!!!

3. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

4. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

verry well done what a great product.

5. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

Looks really, really nice :)
    Keep it up!

6. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

[video=youtube_share;d8D5lfD8jmw]http://youtu.be/d8D5lfD8jmw

05.09.2013a "Lets Build" a game map. Medieval Island Village part 02
    Time Lapse, 38:00 to 10:00 - NEW Terrain Editing Features, NEW Foliage Brushes, NEW Atmosphere Features, NEW Lighting features

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. xtremepman

xtremepman

Epic. Maybe even better than Unity itself...

8. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

9. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

I knocked this out this morning. I am out of town for the weekend.. I'll post more stuff when I return.. Thank you all for the support..
    $AGF_05 2013-05-10 13-05-32-77.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  10. jleaney

jleaney

This looks great, I'm downloading now to try it out!!! It looks like it is heavily designed for large outdoor environments, is there much content in the way of creating a more domestic setting like a street of houses or a slightly more futuristic indoor space? Regardless, I think it's a really great idea and am excited to give it a go!

Jake.

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

To be honest it looks much too complicated to be of mass appeal. Maybe if it was repackaged as a level building tool I'd be interested but thats explicitly what you say its not for.

EDIT: Note it looks really good, polished, etc, I just can't see the point (for me).

12. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Considering that there is no alternative to what it does and the fact that my 8,13 and 15 year old sons have been driving me forward with features for it as well as there is already more then 300 students nation wide that are using it in schools from 5th grade - College. I would really appreciate it if you downloaded it and gave it a try. It is actually very easy to use.
    Maybe I should have my 8 year old make a tutorial video..

AGF could be a level building tool for Unity. I just haven't decided how I want to release the software so that it could be used with Unity. I also didn't want people to think it came with art that they were going to be able to load into Unity. The fact that it could be used to make unity scenes/levels/prefabs on devices that Unity does not support I think is very interesting. I am working on a version that can run on ipad and ouya and tablet devices If you don't see the point there I don't know what else to say.

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

For mass appeal maybe I have underestimated the ease of use, from the video it looked like there was a lot of menus and properties and manipulation to get through (compared to say minecraft)*. I just don't see gamers getting in to it without a game to drive it. And I don't see developers getting in to it because its not offering the flexibility of say Unity or UDK.

Getting it into schools was something I hadn't considered. That seems like an area where it fits quite well.

And I'll definitely check it out when I have some time.

- John A

PS When I said "I can't see the point (for me)", I meant I can't see any reason I would want it, which is what you asked in your poll question. I probably would have clicked "This thing is awesome" if the question was "What do you think of this?"

PPS I agree being able to create content on other devices is very interesting.

----

* I don't want to belabour this point, but in a context away from the classroom (where students are presumably strongly encouraged to use the tool), I still see the complexity as an issue. It's not about an 8 year old being able to use it, its about it holding someones attention for long enough for them to become connected with the product. Once someone has that connection they will figure it out, but these days if something doesn't give someone that connection in a few minutes they tend to move on.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  14. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Earlier in the projects life cycle I had both sci-fi and domestic city combat art loads. I can easily add those back into the game at a later time. Having so many art types and game genres available was making development very muddy and disconnected, so I went with what I thought would be the most difficult to perfect first. If I cannot make a great quality natural landscape terrain engine and tool set and an editable RPG style framework for my game whats the point of it? As it is called Axis Game Factory, The idea being you can make several game types not just one or two..

I am glad you asked about indoor environments. I have given this much thought. You can at the moment make indoor environments but it is very clunky. I know I can come up with a much better way to create them along the lines of a blueprint editor that would build geometry from a 2d floor plan.

I also need to make a seamless scene linking system that take the player from exteriors to interiors quickly with little or no load time and is easy to set up by the user.

The trick with Interiors is how to make a simple to use builder that is flexible feels natural to use and does not create too much geometry or parts that take too much time to assemble.

Sci-fi and Domestic are simple compared to a terrain/atmosphere generation and editing system on par with Skyrim. That's what My children want out of AGF and I accepted the challenge. I have a long way to go but I feel I can get there eventually.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. jleaney

jleaney

Thanks for your reply, all good points and I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds! Being mainly a musician rather than a developer, I can't imagine how much time and work must go into creating some of the stuff! I have to say I'm really impressed with the current beta release, very cool indeed.

16. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for the props. If you have a track you would like to have in the product, send it to me and Ill add it to the next build.. :)

17. Frednaar

Frednaar

I don't understand why there is so little interest from the community in this project , maybe it is too early.

I honestly thnk it is an extraordinary project and hope it will meet an extraordinary success..

I will put my 13 and 10 years old kids in front of the game for a few hours and see what happens...

Congratulations I really am impressed

Fred

18. botumys

botumys

Time for my kid to leave minecraft and build worlds with this tool! :)

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  19. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Fred, I am so thankful for the love. I am having a crappy day and your comment really picked me up. Please let me know if your kids and you want to do a Google hangout for a live demo. Thanks again...

20. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks, So much for the support. Please let me know if you or your kids need any assistance. All my info is below..

21. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thank you very much for the support. Please spread the word.

22. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thank you for the support. It really helps me get through the crappy days..

23. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

NEW BUILD/ PLAY MODE- Build while your character follows you around as if you were GOD!

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  24. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

MORE,,,

25. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Kicking ass and taking names!!!

26. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Ok, this is the last one for the night.. We had a really productive day!

27. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Hello,,, Is thing thing on ? I thought I would have at least one response from the vids I posted by now..

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looking really good. Can you tell us a little more about it? Does it run inside Unity, or is it stand alone? If it's stand alone, can the scene or perhaps just the terrain (plus textures/plants/etc) be exported to Unity?

29. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Glad you aksed,, I am planning on offering a pro version in Oct that you could add your own models to AGF. I was also going to make a Game level prototyping version as well, to accelerate the (greyboxing) process..

Here are some very early samples of AGF from months ago that somewhat demonstrate this.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  30. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

31. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

View attachment 77015

I have finally started to nail down some of the prefab terrain palettes, atmospheres and lighting rigs that will be available for users in AGF.. What you see will (eventually) require absolutely no set up by the user. Just pick a biome type and rock it out. If you want to make tweaks to the rigs I set up then GUI's are all there. But for the novice user its all about the level creation. Please take a look at my progress..

Also Big thanks to jleany for the music track

Jacob Leaney
    Composer | Sound Engineer
    www.greenghostproductions.com
    jake@greenghostproductions.com

Download the latest builds here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wxgyj0ei47201tl/sobtGZHs8a

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  32. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Sorry, If you have a slow download speed. I noticed my game is pushing 600 megs, again.. I'll have to clean up some of the test assets tomorrow and re-post a smaller build..

33. Ullukai

Ullukai

Downloading your latest build now.

I haven't tried it and have a question: When you get this thing done, are we going to be able to sell a game we make with it ?

How much is it going to cost to get the full AGF thing and what versions are there going to be ?

34. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

When I first created AGF the idea was not to make a system that users could make games and sell them. That is what Unity is for. My product is made with Unity. I have been asked by many supporters to sell the plug-ins we have made to make our product. So they can use it to make their own games from my tool set and make .exe's via Unity. I have that release scheduled for Oct of this year.

My original concept was more about making a system that users could work together from the same set of assets and link their levels designs to each others.

The editor version I was thinking about $20.00 to $50.00 The stand alone player would be free. This is what I am thinking but this may change, nothing is in stone. The framework we have set up is pretty flexible.

We have been approved for distribution by many major sales portals. We have just started talking to Steam, They had some great ideas that may take us in a slightly different direction. We will see.

The last build that is up has some atmosphere issues. The presets I had made somehow did not save as they should. You can make your own atmospheres and they will save properly with the scene file. I haven't seen or heard from users any other major issues.

We are moving our offices this week so I might not get a chance to fix the atmos thing till next week.

Please let me kn ow if you need any assistance. I am happy to give you a live tutorial.

Matt

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  35. AustinK

AustinK

I haven't downloaded it, but from your first post it seemed this was a tool to teach level design/game design, but I'm not to sure how your project actually "teaches" that. Don't get me wrong, this project looks awesome. And for a level builder where kids can build and play, somewhat like minecraft, it's an awesome job. Especially if there is any way where you can turn it into an online type game where you people can just post there levels as a portal and people can visit of people home level. BUT, just going off of that first post, I don't see how this is a tool to self teach. Level design, as I'm very sure you know, has more to it than just placing objects in a level.

But aside from that... amazing job h2o. Keep it up!

36. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

You know what? That is a good point.. I should be more careful with my wording. Thanks for the feedback. I guess experience is the best teacher for me.

I see you're in OC.. I am in San Diego, Let me know if you want to come by. I can also show you what AGF does via Skype or Hangout.
    Let me know if you need any help getting started.

Please go to the link https://www.dropbox.com/home/AxisGameFactory and see the curriculum folder, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9j90x048umptxt/AhJ4zJkuP- there are docs in there that we have been sending out to the teachers that have their students using it in schools already. Eventually the curriculum will be integrated into the Tool/game.. I still don't even know what to call it. In a step by step tutorial type "Mission" for the kids. If you want to give me feedback on that stuff too, I would appreciate it.

Please also see this. http://www.axisgamefactory.com/about.htm It has very dated images and some of the bullet points I see are not quite accurate since many things have changed during development of the tool but it outlines the basic game play dynamic. I'll have to set some time aside this week to make the needed changes to our site. Sorry, I have just been really busy this week moving offices and what not.

What you have suggested is exactly what I will eventually be creating. I wish I had taken the time to write up a complete design doc so I could share it with you. But most of this project is in my head and the fact that there are only 3 of us working on it. There hasn't been much need of a design doc. I just meet with the team each day and we all do what we need to do to get us over the next hurdle.

The scene linking I think is what you will be interested in. The scenes will be available to users online from the product and or the users forum and could be created by any number of people. So collaboration is a huge part of it.

This project is a totally self funded endeavor on my part with the exception of some donations from users that have expressed excitement about the product. I apologize if the documentation and information is lacking and or inaccurate to the builds available. We are doing of best to keep up. So please just keep those details in mind when you happen upon some weirdness.

Its getting late, I need to get goin. I hope you dig it. Thanks for the support!

Matt

37. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for the Support!! BTW, My oldest son is named Tyler too.. Great name...

38. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thank you so much. I moved offices this past weekend. So I am a bit behind ATM. I am looking forward to setting up my gear and rocking out some new videos.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  39. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

A couple of new videos testing destructible tree placement and rendering in product.

40. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

[video=youtube;AyGPuPCqEoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGPuPCqEoo&feature=share&list=UULPqwJa_46 PkRJsS_iHQLHg

We finally got an FPS controller into AGF. I made some assets so users can assemble interior environments. Check out the level creation and game play and tell me what you think so far. Next week we should have AI and multi-player support in place. Stay tuned..

41. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

42. nathanvj

nathanvj

Looks nice, if it's really that easy to use as it seems on your video's, it would be perfect. :D

I'm just a beginner, but I'm trying it out soon.

43. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Awesome! I really appreciate the support. I hope to be able to save Unity scene files soon so you'll be able to use it for your own games.

44. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I'd love to have a terrain editor like this to use for my game....

45. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Thanks for the support! I have a call pending with Unity asset store manager Caitlyn next week to work out how I can make it available to all! I plan on making a new video today with VO so you can hear me while I walk you through the process of how it works. Please stay tuned!

46. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

47. jman12

jman12

$Island.JPG What my scene looked like after playing around for a few minutes. This is a really fun tool. I personally think it is much better than Unity's

48. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

That's great.. Place the start location and press the play button.. You'd be playing your level. Thanks for the post and taking the time to try it out..

49. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

50. Benjamindavid

Benjamindavid

Awsome!!! I thought building a map would be the hardest thing to do... ;)