Search Unity

Awesome Machines. A Rube Goldberg contraptions game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mateusbello, Mar 17, 2012.

?

Rate this game

1. Awesome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very Good

20.0%
  3. Good

20.0%
  4. Ok

60.0%
  5. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mateusbello

mateusbello

Hi all,

When I was a kid I loved a game called 'The Incredible Machines' so I decided to create a a game based on this genius game. I am developing it as a hobby and I would like your opinion if it worth continue the development or should I start a new game.

Any feedback(good or bad) and bugs you find on it are well appreciated.

The game can be found on:
    http://games.bellosoft.com/om

Thanks in advance.

2. Cryptnar

Cryptnar

Pretty fun game but I would recommend you make the little box where the planks and stuff are more visible for me its pretty hard to see it because it's visible maybe make it grey?

3. mateusbello

mateusbello

Hi Cryptnar,

You're right, I will change the alpha to make that panel more visible.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

4. mateusbello

mateusbello

5. Demigiant

Demigiant

I totally loved Incredible Machines! Played and finished them all, back in the day :)

About feedback, I agree with what Cryptnar said. Also:
    • It looks a lot like the last Incredible Machine they made, with the semi-realistic backgrounds and graphics. That's a thing I didn't like in the original, and I think a more cartoonish approach would work better, and it would make it more "yours" (also, as of now, a realistic look has to look really really realistic not to appear clumsy).
    • The texts should appear more quickly. I had a hard time waiting for them to complete, since I could read faster than the animation.

That said, it really looks nice. Keep up with it :)

6. mateusbello

mateusbello

Hi Izitmee,

The texts are indeed too slow, thanks for pointing that out. I will change the speed.

About the cartoon look, I agree with you. I don't have the skills to do something realistic, a cartoon style would definitely look better. The background can be easily changed but the objects would give a lot of work. Is there any way to make the objects look more like a cartoon? Changing the textures maybe or applying a different shader?

Thank you very much.

7. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Oh man, this brings back my childhood. I love games like this!

I would have to agree with the graphics - making a more cartoonish look would be great for something like this.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  8. Wolfos

Wolfos

Don't like the graphics. Should be more simple. Love the positive attitude of the tutorials, though. I'll play some more tomorrow.

9. Demigiant

Demigiant

I think there's probably some shader out there that could help you with the cartoon look, and changing the textures would also be good. Though I think you might just start by changing the background, and applying a different lighting. That might already do the trick (or at least a lot of it).

10. mateusbello

mateusbello

Thanks for your feedback Thinksquirrel and Wolfos.

I'll definitely go for a cartoon look.

Izitmee, I found a toon shader that ships with Unity. I will try it and post the results. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012