Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AVPro Live Camera

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, May 24, 2012.

1. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. It was indeed a bug in the scripting.

I've attached new scripts here for you to try. Please replace the old ones with these and let us know if it solves your problem.

Thank you,

Attached Files:

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Live Camera version 2.8.4 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version on our website.

Changes include:

Improvements
    • All devices now run without a clock,so they run as fast as possible. A new ClockMode option was added to support this, with ClockMode.None being the default, and ClockMode.Default using the default system clock. This fixes low frame rate issues with ZCam and Elgato hardware.
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed issue where the specified frame rate wouldn’t be selected if it was only available in a specific pixel format (eg MJPG)
    Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or preferably to our Github Issue tracker

Thanks,

3. Lordmin

Lordmin

Thank you for quick response.

It works really well.

Asset purchase complete!

4. Soaryn

Soaryn

So, I have been trying to change the "mode" a camera is capturing in specifically the color format, but none of my capture cards are seemingly able to do so? They all default to YUV_YUY2. This, to my understanding is causing some rather auto color artifacts to display.

upload_2020-8-10_19-47-16.png

No matter what I set the format to, it when running it grabs YUV_422_YUY2 where as OBS is using NV12

upload_2020-8-10_19-49-49.png

Capture Device: Magewell Pro Dual Capture - HDMI

Edit: I decided to check to see how many "modes" there were on the device. Turns out there are 75. So I added some debug logging in the device selection script: "Video (00-1 Pro Capture Dual HDMI) SELECTED: RGB32" as the mode format. But the "Device.CurrentFormat" remains "YUV_"...

More notably, I'm not sure the device format is set anywhere, only queried. Is this a bug, or is it done within the extern? `public static extern bool StartDevice(int index, int modeIndex, int frameRateIndex, int videoInputIndex);`

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. Lordmin

Lordmin

1. Kinect V2
    2. Azure Kinect
    3. Logitech C920

I'm testing with three webcams.

All three webcams have _flipX disabled,

To actually keep the same X axis
    [Kinect V2] is _flipX = false,
    [Azure Kinect], [Logitech C920] should be changed to _flipX = true.

Is there any way to keep all webcams the same X-axis screen?

6. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

How are you trying to select RGB32 as the pixel format?

In the CameraExplorer demo scene, does it have RGB32 modes listed?

The device has an internal mode (such an YUV2) and then we use shaders to convert to RGBA32. I suspect the issue you're having with the black levels is related to gamma/linear colour space. If you switch (in Player Settings) to Gamma colorspace does that help?

We do have an open issue which seems related:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProLiveCamera/issues/4

This is something we're looking into currently, and it only seems to affect newer Unity versions in Linear colorspace mode.

Perhaps you could add any further details you find to the Github issue for our support team? The inability to select RGB32 as a mode seems like a separate issue, so perhaps you could post that here:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProLiveCamera/issues/new/choose

Thanks,

7. NathanRH

NathanRH

_flipX = false just means that we aren't doing any flipping - we just take the image as it comes from the driver. Some drivers have internal flipping enabled by default. For example here are two webcams on my system:

upload_2020-8-11_10-40-25.png
    upload_2020-8-11_10-41-49.png

There isn't a way for us to detect whether the image has been flipped or not. This is actually something we will look into more for future versions of the plugin. I've added an issue on our GitHub for our support team to investigate:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProLiveCamera/issues/21

Thanks,

8. Soaryn

Soaryn

Due to the project being in HDRP I am unable to change the color space of the rendering to Gamma.
    As for how I am trying to select the pixel format, I have been trying to select any format in this drop down. Note, the one in the image was just the last attempt, I tried all in the drop down list to no avail.
    upload_2020-8-11_14-34-24.png

In the DefaultCameraDemo, I can see other formats (true for the elgato card I have as well), but am unable to choose any of them. The screen just flashes (I assume it is trying to set it), but then swaps back to YUV_YUY2.
    EDIT: It actually has this behavior on any of the options listed (resolution and the odd frame rates they show)
    upload_2020-8-11_14-36-0.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  9. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks for the extra information.

Are you using the latest version of the plugin?
    Version 2.8.4 was released 13 days ago and fixed a number of similar issues...

Thanks,

10. Soaryn

Soaryn

Yep latest version :(

11. NathanRH

NathanRH

I think that it is reverting to YUV because it is based on the input signal that the capture hardware is getting. It probably just exposes those other modes for when it is receiving those kinds of signals. Same reason why other resolutions aren't selectable.

I guess the main reason you want to have RGB support is to get to get the black level correct ?

Another thing to try. Go to this component and disable Internal Format Conversion:
    upload_2020-8-11_15-14-51.png

I have an Elgato HD60S coming in a few days so hopefully I'll be able to replicate the issue and fix it with that.

Thanks,

12. Soaryn

Soaryn

Well, it is more to have the correct color values being present. I am using Unity as a broadcasting tool more or less so having colors be shown incorrectly is a rather large detriment.

Turning off the internal format conversion resulted in less options, but still disallowing the selection.
    upload_2020-8-11_17-32-19.png

One of the things I noticed is the capture card input is RGB, but the output, the translation from card to software is YUY2.
    upload_2020-8-11_17-33-48.png

In OBS however, the output format is NV12
    upload_2020-8-11_17-34-50.png

So I know it is supported, it is just a matter of getting the plugin to address that :p

ALSO something I noticed is the tab in the middle in OBS is set to capture, and preview is used in AVPro... unsure if related.

13. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks, your details and screenshots are delightful! :)
    Yes the capture/preview is definitely an issue....
    NV12 vs YUV2 shouldn't be an issue. I think the colour issue is a separate issue. We will investigate anyway.

Thanks,

14. Soaryn

Soaryn

Sure thing! If there is anything else I can do to help let me know!

15. Soaryn

Soaryn

I was curious if there were any progress on the investigation. I have found the color degradation is in the "FinalTexture" preview as well, not just in the scene. OBS has a small variance; however, it is negligible compared to the raw.
    Capture is using AVPro. This is causing issues in production as I am using this in a live broadcast environment. :(

upload_2020-8-17_0-58-54.png

16. Soaryn

Soaryn

I think I found my color issue cause. So when the temporary texture for the capture is created, ARGB32 is used. This loses quite a bit of the lower scale colors it would seem. Instead I changed it to ARGBFloat as a test and magically I have a fixed output :). Changing line 320 in AVProLiveCameraFormatConverter from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _finalTexture = RenderTexture.GetTemporary(_width, _height, 0, RenderTextureFormat.ARGB32, rwMode);
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. finalTexture = RenderTexture.GetTemporary(_width, _height, 0, RenderTextureFormat.ARGBFloat, rwMode);
    My recommendation is to have the user be able to provide a RenderTexture and AVLivePro use that as its "final texture". Reasoning: more control, and if the user wishes to use that render texture else where then it is less copying or requiring an extra blit somewhere else. :)

Seems to have corrected the color space issue I was having. This however still leaves two things not addressed with the magewell card: AVLiveCamera using the preview rather than the capture; and the mode format non-changeable to anything other than YUV_422_YUY2. I'd like to be able to select RGB :(

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  17. NathanRH

NathanRH

Awesome! We will test this on our end too :)

I suspect that you won't be able to select RGB on the Magewell as your source is probably in a YUV format (YUV422 or NV12) natively.

Using preview instead of capture is on our list to look at.

Thanks for checking things out on your side - I'll get back to you soon.

18. NathanRH

NathanRH

We've been looking at the preview/capture pin issue and you are correct - it's currently preferring to use the preview pin. We are working on a change for this - to prefer the capture pin and to give the option to change the preferrence. This may allow you to select RGB modes (it does on the Elago we're testing with). It should also fix the darking issue you've been seeing. I will let you know once there is a new version of the plugin to try (shouldn't be long).

Thanks,

19. ToxMox

ToxMox

I'm testing out the trial.

This is using the CameraExplorerDemo.

When I hit start on the AVerMedia GC573 the mode (index is -1) is 1920 x 1080 YUV_422_YUY2, Capture is 60.00hz and Display is 60.00hz. If I click on Frame Rates, only 240.00hz and 24.00hz are available (with 240 highlighted) for that mode (and all 1920x1080 modes).

Simply clicking on the already highlighted mode in the Modes section changes the Capture to 240.00hz and according to the console mode index 57 (internal index 18) and no matter what else I choose I can never get back to 60.00hz on the capture until I actually completely stop the app and start it again.

Is there a way I can force 60hz here or manually specify? I would ignore it but CPU performance is affected.

20. NathanRH

NathanRH

This is actually something we're looking into at the moment. We expect to release version 2.9.0 of the plugin tomorrow which should hopefully resolve this issue.

Thanks,

ToxMox likes this.
  21. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi All,

AVPro Live Camera version 2.9.0 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version on our website.

Changes include:

Improvements
    • Added support to set the YCbCr range mode to either Limited (default) or Full to get accurate representation from more devices
    • Added support for selecting which DirectShow pin type (preview or capture) is preferred. Capture pin is now the default whereas it was Preview previously. This was done to be more correct and to fix frame rate and mode selection issues on some capture cards (Elgato, Magwell)
    • Inspector UI improved to be more intuitive and offer greater control
    • Shaders refactored
    Changes
    • Unity 5.6 is now the minimum version supported
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed issue where the clock mode wasn’t passed down to the plugin
    • Fixed issue linear colour space issue where colours would become crushed and lose precision especially at the dark end

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or preferably to our Github Issue tracker

Thanks,

22. ToxMox

ToxMox

Hi. I'm assuming the trial hasn't been updated yet? Downloaded it again just now with no change to the framerates available.

23. NathanRH

NathanRH

The trial has been updated (or it should have). You can test this by looking in the Console window - it prints the version number in there - and it should say 2.9.0 for the latest version.

For setting the frame rate - have you tried using the LiveCamera component to do this? In the Inspector window you can set the mode selection parameters, and specify the frame rate that you want. If it's still not working then we will take a look again. It may be that the specific capture card you're using is just behaving differently to the hardware we have tested on.

Thanks,

24. ToxMox

ToxMox

Just downloaded the trial again. Console reports 2.8.4t.
    EDIT: Looks like a browser caching issue. I opened the site on another browser and the correct version downloads.

2.9.0 had no effect on the available refresh fps modes.
    Forcing the fps as you mentioned using the LiveCamera component doesn't work. It just captures at 24hz. If I specify the mode by index as -1 then I get 60hz.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  25. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks for checking!

Would you mind downloading and running this tool "DirectShowCaptureCapabilities-x64":
    https://alax.info/blog/software#ds

And copy-pasting me the log it generates? Since I don't have the capture hardware you're using, this will give me the information I need to figure out what's going on, so that we can fix this.

Thanks,

26. ToxMox

ToxMox

@NathanRH sure here you go. Attached. Thanks!

Attached Files:

NathanRH likes this.
  27. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks, I think I see what's happening. We're working on a new build to fix this and will let you know once it's ready.

Thanks,

ToxMox likes this.
  28. ToxMox

ToxMox

I'm still testing the trial out. I can't get the Material Mapper to work in my URP project.

Tested out the MaterialMappingDemo in both a fresh URP project and a fresh 3D project. In the 3D project it just straight up works fine. In the URP project, I upgrade the materials to URP and run the demo and only the IMGUI Display component seems to work. Nothing happens to the surface of the objects.

Is there an easy way to just have the plugin render a webcam to an already created Render Texture?

29. NathanRH

NathanRH

hi ToxMox,

Yes I believe that Unity can only upgrade non-lit shaders to URP automatically. The MaterialMappingDemo uses lit shaders, so they won't upgrade. You should however simply be able to assign a URP lit shader to those materials and then the AVProLiveCameraMaterialApply script should be able to apply the video texture to that URP material - you may just have to change Texture Property from "_MainTex" to "_BaseMap"

That should be pretty straightforward:

Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderTexture myRT = new RenderTexture(liveCamera.OutputTexture.width, liveCamera.OutputTexture.height, 0, RenderTextureFormat.Default);
    2. myRT.Create();
    3. Graphics.Blit(liveCamera.OutputTexture, myRT);
    I hope this helps you?

30. ToxMox

ToxMox

Hiya. Wondering if there is any progress on this?
    Second question. I have a couple of Live Camera sources that I need to add buffer or latency to in order to sync with my audio. What would be the best way to handle that?

NathanRH likes this.
  31. NathanRH

NathanRH

Sorry we've been quite busy and haven't had a change to get back to this. It's still on the list.

If your audio is coming too late then you could create your own buffering of the video frames. This can be achieved by creating a tool of RenderTexture's, blitting into them and always displaying the second oldest texture. I hope that makes sense, if not I can try to explain in a bit more detail.

32. akalegman

akalegman

Hi!

We are looking to use one of your plugins to record webcam footage to disk. We need to be able to start multiple recordings at the same time, which plugin should we use?

AVPro Live Camera
    AVPro Video (Windows)

I tested the AVPro Video demo and the recording webcam footage worked perfectly, but you state that for higher resolutions AVPro Live works better. I could not find an example of that plugin actually recording footage though and it is not mentioned in the documentation.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  33. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi!

So I think the plugin you're looking for is:

AVPro Movie Capture - this records video files to disk from Unity.
    https://renderheads.com/products/avpro-movie-capture/

AVPro Video is a video playback plugin
    AVPro Live Camera is a plugin to allow webcams and capture cards to stream video into Unity

I hope that helps.

34. akalegman

akalegman

Thanks for the quick response, I mixed up the Video and the Movie Capture!

35. qwert024

qwert024

Hi, AVPro Team
    I am currently running "DefaultCameraDemo" scene with the trial version in Unity 2019.3.3f.
    I have a built-in USB Camera on my laptop and a Logitech Webcam HD C615 plugged in.
    "Update Hot Swap" checkbox on AVProLiveCamera component is checked.
    What I expect is that the display should automatically switches to USB Camera when I unplug the Logitech Webcam, and automatically switches back to Logitech Webcam when I plug it back again.
    However it doesn't work. Is this behavior weird, or is it my misunderstanding on what "Update Hot Swap" actually does?

I also add a line in the AVProLiveCameraDevice.cs to see if the connection state is detected:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Update_HotSwap()
    2. {
    3.     bool isConnected = AVProLiveCameraPlugin.IsDeviceConnected(_deviceIndex);
    5.     /* I ADDED THIS LINE*/
    6.     Debug.Log("device #" + _deviceIndex + " '" + Name + ": " + isConnected);
    8.     // If there is a change in the connection
    9.     if (IsConnected != isConnected)
    10.     {
    11.         if (!isConnected)
    12.         {
    13.             Debug.Log("[AVProLiveCamera] device #" + _deviceIndex + " '" + Name + "' disconnected");
    14.             Pause();
    15.         }
    16.         else
    17.         {
    18.             Debug.Log("[AVProLiveCamera] device #" + _deviceIndex + " '" + Name + "' reconnected");
    19.             if (IsRunning)
    20.             {
    21.                 Start(_lastModeIndex, _lastVideoInputIndex);
    22.             }
    23.         }
    24.         IsConnected = isConnected;
    25.     }
    26. }
    When the display is using Logitech Webcam, console keeps printing "device #1 'Logitech HD Webcam C615: True".
    If I unplug the Webcam, it still keeps printing "device #1 'Logitech HD Webcam C615: True" while I thought it would be "False".
    Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  36. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

I see what you want to do, but I think here is a misunderstanding about what the hotswap feature is meant to do. We don't have any feature that supports automatically switching to another webcam when one is unplugged. This is something you would have to implement yourself. The hotswap feature is an attempt to reconnection to the webcam if it is disconnected (eg USB) and then reconnected. This can happen either due to the user doing it, or some USB extenders just drop connection from time to time, so it's a way to make it a bit more resilient for users who have connection issues.

If you want to switch to another device you would need to select the device index you want and then call Begin(), eg:

liveCamera._desiredDeviceIndex = 1;
    liveCamera.Begin();

I hope this helps.

37. qwert024

qwert024

Hi,
    Got it. Thanks for your reply!
    However I was also wondering if there is something wrong with the detection of device connection. When I unplugged the webcam, isConnected remains True. (Deteails quoted below)
    Is this a normal behavior?
    I would really appreciate it if you could help!

38. djrosu

djrosu

Hello. Quick question I hope. I am using the BackgroundDemo scene as a base for a project. It there an easy way to make this '"scale and crop" like found in the IMGUI Display component? This BackgroundQuad in the BackgroundDemo scene is throwing me off.

39. ActiveMe

ActiveMe

Hello everyone,
    Quick question :
    I downloaded the free version and imported it into Unity BUT the Dll files are missing. How can i find the dll in the free version ? Currently I can't test the plugins and I want to test it before direcly buy.

Here are the errors that Unity return to me :
    upload_2020-11-16_10-26-38.png

Thanks for your help !

40. NathanRH

NathanRH

I have replied to you on Github Issues :) Thanks,

41. farazs

farazs

Hi,
    AVPro Live Camera is an amazing plugin.

I am experiencing couple of issues.
    1- Crashing if OBS virtual camera is flipped from OBS.
    If i am flipping OBS virtual camera feed from OBS and selecting that camera in AVPro live camera, Unity Crashes.
    2- Camera feed freezes after some time randomly in few cameras.

Looking forward to its solution.
    Thanks.

42. farazs

farazs

I have tried this solution as of now:

using UnityEngine;
    using RenderHeads.Media.AVProLiveCamera;
    using System.Linq;

public class CheckCameraFPS : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public AVProLiveCamera aVProLiveCamera;
    private bool isStartAgain = false;
    private float[] cameraValues = new float[10];
    private int cameraIndex = 0;

void Start()
    {
    InvokeRepeating("UpdateFPS", 1, 0.1f);
    }
    void Update()
    {
    CheckFPS();
    }
    void CheckFPS()
    {
    if (isStartAgain)
    {
    isStartAgain = false;
    aVProLiveCamera.Device.Stop();

aVProLiveCamera.Device.Play();
    if (!aVProLiveCamera.Device.IsRunning)
    {
    aVProLiveCamera.Device.Start();
    }
    }
    }

void UpdateFPS()
    {
    if (cameraIndex > 9)
    {
    cameraIndex = 0;
    //check
    if (cameraValues.Distinct().Count() == 1)
    {
    isStartAgain = true;
    }
    }
    cameraValues[cameraIndex] = aVProLiveCamera.Device.DisplayFPS;
    cameraIndex++;
    }

}

43. Kaimen001

Kaimen001

Hello,
    I have a Chroma Key Kit license, AVPro Live Cam license, and a DeckLink Studio 4K card. I can't capture over HDMI with the DeckLink Studio 4K. It just looks black. Is there a compatibility problem? Chroma key Kit supports DeckLink Studio 4K and AVPro Live Cam or do I need AVPro DeckLink? In the AVPro DeckLInk specifications it does not say whether it supports Chroma Key Kit. Can you help me?
    Thank you.

44. NathanRH

NathanRH

Okay thanks for telling us about this, it sounds like something that should be fixed. If you could please post the issue here, then our developers will be able to investigate:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProLiveCamera/issues

Thanks,

45. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,
    AVPro Live Camera can support DeckLink cards, but it isn't ideal. It doesn't support many of the DeckLink features, the most important of which is Automatic Input Mode Detection. Without this feature you will need to specify the EXACT index mode that you're using and this can be tricky to find, and without it you will just get a black image. AVPro Live Camera is a general plugin for many webcam/capture cards/tv cards, but it has it's shortcomings.

The AVPro DeckLink is much more suited to professional uses. We don't have built-in support for Chroma Key Kit, but I don't think it should be difficult to adapt. You would just need to feed the texture from the DeckLink plugin into the Chroma Key Kit plugin. Perhaps the developer of Chroma Key Kit can point you in the right direction.

Thanks,

Kaimen001 likes this.
  46. watchagames

watchagames

Hi. Checking this asset to replace the built in WEbCam Texture I use to include video on a 3d object.
    Downloaded the demo package (thanks for providing this btw). Everyhing works perfect.

For my project I use URP (Universal Render Pipeline) (Running 2020.2).
    So tried to import asset into new URP project and convert shaders but shaders/materials are not converted to work by unity URP converter.

Has anyone been using the asset for URP ?

Any leads where I should look too reconnect / make it work ?

I'm fluent in scripting/c# so if you have leads I should be able to make modifications, so pointing in where to look at will be of help.

Thanks.

47. NathanRH

NathanRH

It should work fine in URP, but yes, some of the shaders/materials might not convert automatically. Actually only shaders that handle lighting should have any problem converting. Can you try again to use the option in Unity to convert shaders in the project to URP?

If it's still not working, perhaps you could give some examples of the demo scenes or components when it's not working so that we can narrow it work.

Thanks,

48. Polaaa

Polaaa

If I try to stop and restart the camera, CameraGrabDemo crashes after I compile the project

Attached Files:

49. Polaaa

Polaaa

plugin crush when I use Logitech C270 webcam

50. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks, we see you posted an issue to Github about this - we're investigating.

Thanks,