Search Unity

Avoncya, a cross-platform RPG thing

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by returnString, Oct 5, 2012.

1. returnString

returnString

Avoncya, meaning “to progress”, is a crossplatform multiplayer RPG for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. Not that I’m ambitious.

The Game
    The game’s focus is a cooperative campaign mode in which an undisclosed number of players use their wits, skills and a large arsenal of weaponry to battle their way through a multitude of different environments. Along the way, you’ll build up your character, encounter some interesting new friends (and foes!), and, most importantly, acquire shiny new toys.

You start out by selecting a class: the unwavering Soldier, the underappreciated Support, the walking tank, Heavy, or the silent Assassin. Each class has its own strengths and weaknesses, plus a unique ability. Sure, the Assassin might lack health, but he more than makes up for it with increased agility and the ability to temporarily disappear.

The game itself plays out as a top-down shooter, with intuitive control schemes on both desktop and mobile. The cross-platform love doesn’t stop there though; fancy four-player coop with a Windows desktop, a Macbook, an iPad and a Galaxy S3? Why the hell not?

As for the story and setting, I have no idea right now. Working on that.

Development
    Right now, the game is in a prototype stage. I’ll be regularly pushing test builds, playable right in your web browser of choice, which you can find here if you so desire. For clarity’s sake, I’d like to turn this into an actual paid game one day, but whilst it’s purely mechanics and very little art, the free test builds will continue!

The current build features three quick test levels, including an unexpected entrance in the third. It’s pretty short right now, maybe a few minutes, but one of my priorities is to create a proper demo with an entire mini-campaign. That’ll happen once I’ve got some basic art going.

A word of warning: it’s entirely possible for a given update to break existing characters. Don’t worry! The included debug menu allows you to recreate an older character by setting their level, experience, money etc manually.

Spotted a bug, or got some feedback? Let me know here.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Girard

Girard

Awesome stuff dude. Had a pretty big drop in frame rate on the escape level though. Keep up the good work.

3. returnString

returnString

Ah crap, I deployed that build with network debug enabled, and I've yet to move the spikes over from RPCs to proper serialisation. You can imagine how much logging that causes :D

4. blaze

blaze

Very cool. It will be commercial, or just for fun?

I just steal your BoxEd code, want to see how it works! Looks awesome!
    Can I use it inside a game?

Carry on!

5. returnString

returnString

I'd like to make it a proper commercial game one day, preferably before my 20th birthday next September to meet my weird goal of releasing a game in my teens, but I'm just concentrating on building it and making it fun right now.

As for BoxEd, sure, use it for whatever :) Just be aware that it's not all great code, heh.

6. returnString

returnString

Pushed an update:

• Added the WIP 'Hub' world with a shop, and an entrance to the Prison Break level set
    • Players have inventories (accessed via the tab key)
    • Players can buy items from shops
    • Consumable items (just health packs and ammo boxes right now) can be used via the inventory once bought

Access the Hub world from the "Host" menu screen. It'll probably replace the menu entirely one day, but I need to keep it for testing right now. Another handy feature: want to test the shop, but got no money? Press Escape to open the menu, and access the Debug Menu. From there, you can set your level, experience, and most importantly, money. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. StevenOBrien

StevenOBrien

Very nicely done! The spider boss startled me a little XD, I was just shooting at the small spider guards and I look back and there's suddenly a giant freaking spider bot out to get me. I look forward to seeing how this progresses!