Search Unity

Avoision - 2.5D Arcade Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by marcos, Feb 22, 2015.

1. marcos

marcos

Hello!

I've been working on this project for a little while now, and it's getting to the point where I'm starting to need feedback.

To get things started, here's the latest gameplay video:

..and a webplayer:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/AvoisionULTRA/Marky Bola - Avoision.html

In terms of gameplay, I'm aiming for a mix of Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong Country, and the super old school Mario Bros game. Essentially it's a high score game where you avoid enemies, then jump on their heads to defeat them and score points. Every time you defeat an enemy, they'll drop a coin, which can later be spent on different things, which will likely be continues, unlockable costumes, and powerups.

In terms of platforms, I very much have mobiles in mind (both Android and iOS), but to start with I'm just focusing on developing for PCs. Mobile controls is a can of worms I'd prefer to open once things are more or less in place.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it so far! My highest score is 58, so if you manage to beat that, please rub it in my face. :eek:

Mark

2. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

Interesting concept :)

Have you considered making it multiplayer so you can avoid stuff together and troll by bumping each other? ;D

3. Moeen

Moeen

Hey :) I like the game mechanics and the different enemies, despite them being just blocks, have loads of potential for characterization. With good graphics, maybe some power-ups, levels and more enemies, this could become amazing.

4. Moeen

Moeen

Just played it... That could be sooooo addictive

5. marcos

marcos

Hey, thanks! I have definitely considered that idea ;), currently thinking something like Battleblock Theater, where you can work together, or sabotage each other.

First thing is getting the single player mode looking and playing great first, then I'll expand upon it if there is enough of a playerbase to warrant the work :)

Thank you! I hope so! I enjoy playtesting it, so I guess that's a pretty good sign. :)

I've been getting a bit done. Migrated to Unity 5, added a bunch of particles, and started working on the character models. Here's the first enemy so far:

Still very WIP, but you can see the sort of style I'm going for I suppose. I'm aiming to find a sweet spot between hand painted textures, and PBR surfaces.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. mcunha98

mcunha98

Really I'm bad...7 was my max :/
    Good work !

7. marcos

marcos

Here's a new web player, would love some feedback:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/Avoision5/Marky Bola - Avoision.html

Updates:
    - Changed the one-way platforms to be Unity 5 Platform Effectors, they feel a lot nicer now.
    - Made the camera feel a lot better
    - All the sounds now use the Unity 5 system, instead of Sound Manager Pro (which was awesome, thanks AntiLunchBox!)

I'm yet to find a spot on the level that you can exploit to get a higher score, but if anyone manages to find a sweet spot, let me know! ;)

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that everything in this game is done using Playmaker.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. marcos

marcos

Thanks!

I must confess that sometimes I die without getting a single point :eek:

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Awesome work! Very inspiring.

10. JohnPet

JohnPet

Hey, that's some interesting gameplay.. Deffinetely an upcoming hit in the appstore! Though the character movement seems a bit slow. Faster will make the player want to play more, as slower movement poses as a stoping variable to play after you lose, but great nonetheless.

Also, is the character a rigidbody? Because that platform ain't moving itself..