Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Avatar Animation Workflow Seems Inefficient

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Tyr1onLannister, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Tyr1onLannister

Tyr1onLannister

Hello all,

I'm new to unity and was trying to rig a humanoid avatar and provide it with a range of motions. I imported an FBX from iclone via 3DXchange. This file contained the mesh and materials, but no animation. Then I tried to find out how to export motion files for use with this avatar, but was dismayed at my findings. There seems to be no way to bring in motion for an already imported character. It seems you have to import all of the motions in that original FBX. The effect being, that anytime you want to add or replace an animation clip, you have to compile an new updated FBX, bring it into unity, and configure it all over again. To me this seems to be such a restrictive and inefficient workflow that it can't possibly be the only way to work, but I'm currently unable to find any resources pertaining to this specific issue. If someone offer some explanation as to how I'm supposed to be working, I'd be supremely grateful. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

If you just replace the FBX file in Windows Explorer instead of importing a copy into Unity it should keep everything you have configured.

You can also just export each animation as a separate file.

3. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

That's good to know and I will have to give that a try. I am only just starting down this path and testing a pipeline from iClone 7 to Unity. I didn't use 3DXchange but maybe I should because so far getting animations over to Unity seems to be create another project, create the same character, place one motion on there and export. That can't be the right workflow. Is there a way to load up many motions and export at once from iClone 7 to be used in Unity? Thanks.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I have no idea sorry, I'm not an animator and I've never used iClone.

5. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

Ok, no problem, thanks. I'm sure it will all make sense to me at some point.