Search Unity

Available Now!! RapidUnity Vehicle Editor Resource Pack v1.5

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Greg-Bassett, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jorjdboss

jorjdboss

I have been messing around with Unity's wheel collider for few months now. I started off by using Andrew Gotow's tutorial and heavily modified it. Since your product uses Unity's wheel collider, I wanted to know what's new/unique in your product related to the following features: A slider based Inspector window that has everything in one place and save to file, a runtime GUI to modify the above settings, some car assets(models, textures and sounds) and preset setups for each car's physics.

Using Andrew's tutorial I could modify things such engine torque, gear ratios, top speed and wheel settings related to Unity's wheel collider. Only difference here is I had to type numbers instead of dragging sliders(which is not a biggie ). I could also tweak the settings to make it feel like a monster truck, a sports coupe or a Baja bug which would take few hours each. I feel your product is a wrapper around existing stuff with few added features(like the save to file system). If you think your product has new features like for example UnityCar or Edy's, for example, please prove me wrong.

P.S: I'm only talking about 4 wheel physics

2. exoszajzbuk

exoszajzbuk

Hey!

Could someone confirm, that RapidUnity Vehicle Editor is working/not working on iOS targets? I gave it a try and had no luck, I'd like to be sure it's intentional. :)

Balazs

3. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

What problems did you have?

4. toto2003

toto2003

hi greg, i try to import rapid vehicle editor in unity 3.5.6, but cant run a scene, got 14 errors, seems like i m not the only one in this case.

cheers

5. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

A developer has used my Vehicle Editor to release an iOS game in the Apple App Store, I have some details on a few small changes he made to make it all work.

I will dig out this info and share it on this forum shortly.

iTunes Link:
    http://tinyurl.com/c738n9o

6. toto2003

toto2003

looking forward this ios compatibility :)

7. thedodgeruk

thedodgeruk

8. Ullukai

Ullukai

How do I get my loaded saved settings to work ? When I loaded up my saved settings it turned into a motorcycle with 2 front wheels. Now I'm stuck with this motorcycle with 2 front wheels and no back wheel ! How do I fix this ?

9. Ullukai

Ullukai

How do I fix this ? Does anybody know how to fix this 2 frontwheeled motorcycle with no rear wheel ?

10. Ullukai

Ullukai

Atlas ! Finally I got it to work !

No reply from Greg so I guess he figured I would find out how to fix it.

How I fixed it was not saving / loading settings at all. After you get your custom motorcycle bike made you go to the inspector side to do all the settings there instead. You just have to find the front wheel collider and in the inspector you will see all the slip/grip etc... settings there. There's other settings too in the inspector when you select your BikeRig in the scene. There you can set the speed,etc... settings there too ! Maybe this will help someone out too !:)

11. tool55

tool55

How do you remove the Vehicle Editor controls from the game view. I did a web build of a scene and the editor is still there. I have the VehicleRig prefab in the scene and I'm using the stock military jeep that comes with the editor. It works great, but I've watched all of the tutorials and none of them tell you how to hide the editor once the rig is complete.

12. Ullukai

Ullukai

You just need to comment out the line in vehiclebehavior script that displays the GUI, it's near the bottom of the script.
    just put //// in front of each line to hide it

13. tool55

tool55

OK. It seems weird that the developer didn't make it easy to save the settings into a prefab without the GUI, but if that's the way it's done, I'll do it. Thanks so much for your help, Ullukai.

14. Ullukai

Ullukai

np. The answer i gave you was actually the same answer i got from the developer way back over 2 years ago after he answered my pms.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  15. magevenus

magevenus

I just purchased this in the asset store, along with the additional motorcycle addon. Allow me to answer your question, this package is MUCH less sophisticated. It is basically a 105 line function, with about 20 conditionals in it. No fancy math, just mashing together various things until they worked good enough. There's no true math here, just the wheel collider and some hacking of conditionals. PS forget about gears, it literally doesn't have them.

This might be fine for certain games, but for the 45 dollars it cost I expect to get something more substantial than a simple 110 line update function which actually handles all 3 types of cars (AWD / 4WD / BIKES) lumped together. I expect to get at least more than I get from the free resources out there such as JCar / or the Unity Car Tutorial

For anyone interested in the motorcycle stuff this addon contains, save your 45 dollars - it's literally the same 4 wheel script with two wheels removed