Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video AV broadcast / stream from Unity

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mikewarren, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mikewarren

mikewarren

Any suggestions on libraries or assets compatible with Unity that I can use to live stream AV from a Unity game?

I'm looking for something similar to Unity Remote (is there source available for Remote) that could act as a server to stream from several Unity simulation cameras over standard protocols to simultaneous remote clients like VLC.

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm not sure if this is quite what you're after...but we have AVPro DeckLink which is a plugin that allows smooth output of Unity for BlackMagic DeckLink hardware. But I have a feeling you're looking more for video network streaming...

3. mikewarren

mikewarren

Appreciate the suggestion. Frankly, I'm not quite sure what I need, but video network streaming is probably it. I'm not familiar with DeckLink hardware, so I imagine it must not be what I'm after.

My goal is to have my Unity application also act as a streaming server for the main camera (or multiple cameras). The thought is that multiple clients can connect to the server and stream video from the application to a separate viewers.

Unity Remote and a couple assets can do it, but they seem to require a special player app that implements whatever protocol the asset is using. I'd like to using something a little more standard (E.g. RTP) so I can take advantage of COTS players, compression, multi-casting, etc. I'm fairly ignorant on the subject, so I've a steep learning curve just trying to figure out the nomenclature and relevant issues.

Thanks again.

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I see...is this just for a local network?

5. mikewarren

mikewarren

Initially, yes. I intend it as an internal debug and presentation tool, but I could see it as a test tool I'd use to work with our sponsors on a WAN. Those networks would likely be private, so staying away from streaming services is essential.

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I see. Well, our plugin AVPro Movie Capture can be used to grab the Unity visual output (no audio support yet) and pipe it to FFMPEG which can then be set up to create a stream. Then you could use VLC or a Unity app built with a plugin to support the video stream playback on all of the client machines to connect to the stream. It's definitely a bit fiddly and not something that is too easily supported. You could also look at using software like OBS to broadcast your Unity app, but I am not too familiar with its local streaming options. Thanks,

7. Taishi-Taishi

Taishi-Taishi

for the same streaming purpose. Does any one know about live stream android devices screen to facebook?

8. Archi_16

Archi_16