Search Unity

AutoTiler - Autotiles made easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tonycoculuzzi, Jun 16, 2014.

1. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Hey guys! I'm almost done creating AutoTiler, so I figured I'd start a forum thread for it!

AutoTiler is an autotile creation and implementation package. It comes with a tool to easily create autotiles, as well as a number of components for implementing them into your games. When in-game, you can update/add/remove autotiles on the fly, super easily! I've also created importers for RPG Maker XP and RPG Maker VX style autotiles, so you can import autotiles made for those engines and use them in Unity!

The exported tile is also in the same format as RPG Maker VX, which means you can use the tiles generated from AutoTiler in RPG Maker as well!

AutoTiler will be on the Asset Store soon! I'm almost finished. Just working on some bug fixes and a few more features I'm trying to get in. It'll be on the Asset Store in a week or two! If you want updates, follow me on twitter: @tonycoculuzzi

AutoTiler Includes:

Editor
    For creating and editing autotiles. Includes a simple canvas with some simple tools. Also includes an importer/exporter for templating files in different image editing programs

Components
    For implementing the autotiles into your game.

Autotile Importers
    For importing various autotile formats, such as RPG Maker XP and VX

Future Plans:

Custom Importer
    An importer that lets you select the key tiles in an image that would be needed to create a tileset out of them. I'm working on this right now. It probably won't be in for release, but it'll be in shortly after!

Simplified Grid Editor
    A GameObject with an editor that you can open and draw your tiles on a grid (each 10x10 square on the grid can represent a tile) which will allow you to very easily place and remove tiles.

NormalMap Generator
    This is a big one! If anyone knows the best way to implement this, I'm all ears, as I want to get this in asap!

Mesh Generation
    A mesh-based implementation that will create a single mesh (and optionally, a single collider) for the autotile layers you create.

Animated Autotiles
    Autotiles that animate through however many frames you specify, animated in sequence or random order.

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    noanoa and KillMobil like this.
  2. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Change Log

Pre-Release

17/06/2014
    Changed export format to that of the RPG Maker VX autotiles

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I've changed the export format to match that of RPG Maker VX's, being two tiles by three tiles in size. This will make for a much smaller image, taking up less space in your project!

For an awesome article on how you create tiles like this from scratch, check out this link: http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  4. Skjalg

Skjalg

Congratulations on the release. This looks really polished. Might be very interesting for our next project :)

5. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Thanks Skjalg!

So I've finished RPG Maker VX AutoTile importing! It works like a charm:

6. netravelr

netravelr

This is very exciting! I've been working on an in-game level editor which I've discovered is easier to create levels than in the inspector. I'm sure with a tool like this it would make my work that much easier. Can't wait to see it on the Asset Store!

7. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm working on all the Asset Store details now. I'll be submitting it tomorrow or Monday once I'm sure it's polished enough! :)

8. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Actually, I'll be working on it for the next week or two getting some final stuff in before releasing it unfinished!

9. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Currently finishing up the pixel-grid editor, and then I'll be submitting it to the Asset Store! Should be done over the weekend.

10. netravelr

netravelr

Any news up on this? Really looking forward to using it. If you need someone to beta test it, I'm happy to do so!

11. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm making a few changes right now, hoping to be done soon. I'm glad to see there's still interest in it though!

12. Paps-O

Paps-O

Hey,
    any news on your tool? any progress on the store publishing?

13. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

Is this tool still in development or cancelled?

14. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Not really canceled, just kinda on hold.

15. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Nope, it's definitely canceled. Unity's new 2D tilemap tool looks much more usable! I may release the tile-creation stuff for the hell of it, but we'll see. AutoTileGen does the same thing, and I don't want to step on its creator's feet by doing that.

16. VrTechEx

VrTechEx

You should continue this project, although Unity might be good, but it's not announced yet for releasing.