Search Unity

Automatically pull from google sheets on app start

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by jugdemon, Oct 18, 2021.

1. jugdemon

jugdemon

I have looked through the localization package and I found the code to pull from within the Unity Editor the Google Sheet. I was hoping to write code that would pull from the sheet when the app starts. But the pull feature is in the UnityEditor namespace. Is there a pull to be used within a build or can we only pull in the editor? I would rather not have to manually code the pulling from the googlesheet, especially when it already seems to be there.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Google sheets support is Editor only at the moment. There are security concerns to consider when supporting it in the player, API keys can be abused and require the sheets to be public.
    If you want to do updates in a build I would recommend looking at doing it through Addressables via content updates.
    This can be used to update tables and add new languages etc.

3. jugdemon

jugdemon

Thank you for the reply. I have now looked at addressables and I cannot get them to work on the ios build in ci. Building for ios works locally and the CI works for android but no such look for ios. I have not even found out what exactly is missing since it works locally for ios but not via CI. I setup the build scrip twith CleanPlayercontent and BuildPlayerConcent which does the magic for android but not for ios. I no build error, the addressable is simply not there when deployed via testflight. Any ideas what exactly is causing this kind of problem?

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm not familiar enough with Addressables, I would try asking in the addressables forum section https://forum.unity.com/forums/addressables.156/