Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Automatic LOD - Create and manage LOD levels automatically

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, Aug 11, 2015.

1. yonson_chappers

yonson_chappers

Hello there I wrote you an email but haven't had a response as yet so am trying here. I bought the full pack, and ran through the automatic LOD generation which performed the calculations surprisingly quickly (I have a lot of models in scene so assumed it would take all night!) which is a big bonus.

However, when actually running the game, the LOD switching simply doesn't occur. This is true if the LOD is based on screen size, or distance, and I've tried it on various models all with the same result - everything renders at 100% even when the player is miles away. I've checked there is only one camera in scene (the player's). The 'tris' is idential close up as far away.

When I click on each of the LOD levels in the inspector, they change over fine. However when actually running the game, the models never switch over. Some stay at 100%, others stay at a lower level (i.e. even though I'm right next to them, they are not on the higher setting). Basically the transition component seems to be totally broken, can someone let me know why this is the case?

radiantboy likes this.
  2. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello! I bought your asset but I bought it because I saw that you few time mention that you are working on Texture LOD when it will be avaliable? This is very important for me to get that, To be honest I bought it to get texture LOD :) Where it will be avaliable ? 90$ is quite large amount of money i spend only to simplify mesh, Esspeccialy there are cheaper asset that make mesh simplify and texture lod and atlas :) Waiting for reply ;)\

Also one more question why isnt Mesh LOD work when I'm in editor, My project have huge world with many meshes, and I need to be able work on it on editor, now I only can click on model and then by slider check mesh, but it dont work normally as I move camera in editor, Why? This is very important because it makes asset useless because In editor I need so much ram and in game no...

3. ranaUK

ranaUK

Having an issue with AutomaticLOD; I've a prefab with couple of LOD levels that get's instantiate and added to a non-active holder; at some point, parent holder get's enable.

With this configuration, I'm getting the following error.

Enabling or adding a Renderer during rendering; this is not allowed. Renderer 'LOD1' will not be added.
    UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
    AutomaticLOD:SwitchToLODRecursive(AutomaticLOD, GameObject, Int32, Boolean) (at Assets/UnityPackages/_Linked/0.LinkUnity/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1133)
    AutomaticLOD:SwitchToLOD(Int32, Boolean) (at Assets/UnityPackages/_Linked/0.LinkUnity/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1070)
    AutomaticLOD:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/UnityPackages/_Linked/0.LinkUnity/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:227)

Bump: Also, any updates on textures? Also any news on having unity lod group support.

I agree with kubaskia : it's very expensive compared to some other assets which also packs the textures - without that option, it's hard to recommend this product.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. mkgame

mkgame

Unity 5.6.1p3

Hi,

I cannot move the sphere modifier in AutomaticLOD by dragging on the transform position arrows. This works with Mesh Simplify. It is a bit annoying because I need more of them for human mesh optimization.

I already had a mesh optimizer/lod creator, which has good algorithms to optimize the meshes, but the optimization had to be stop at the first visible error. This can be fixed with your very important "Vertex Relevance Midifiers" feature in your tool. The demo should be updated, it doesn't show the important feature "Vertex Relevance Midifiers", and the demo should also support adding our own meshes. The demo was not the reason why I bought this asset, I bought in blind hope. I was lucky ;)

Awesome pruduct!

5. m_basbas_apex_mt

m_basbas_apex_mt

Hello @UGTools, How does this package do with Assetbundles?

6. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm particularly interested in the ability to create texture atlases and having Unity LOD group support as well. Any word on if/when that may be coming?

7. olavrv

olavrv

This asset is really well made! I am wondering if there is a cut-off distance, and where do you set this?

8. olavrv

olavrv

The LOD switching is noticable at runtime (a brief flickr when LOD's switch). Is this a bug? I assume that there is a frame where both previous LOD and next LOD are switched off? (which is incorrect).

Hope you can fix this issue, because this is an awsome asset! (all your assets are).

Keep up the good work!

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Just bought this plugin. Are there any functions where I can input a mesh and output an LOD level in game? I have to generate LODs for procedural meshes at start.

10. Zenneth

Zenneth

11. UGTools

UGTools

Hello guys!

I just finishes version 1.5. The main new feature is full Unity LODGroup support, so besides Switch GameObject and Switch Mesh (which probably will get deprecated in the future at some point) now you can use Unity's built-in component.

This makes more sense now that the free version of Unity also has LODGroup functionality. I believe this one is going to give the best performance and flexibility of all :)
    Also this should fix all other issues regarding polygonsoups, switching, performance etc.

Should be available as soon as they approve it.

ZoneOfTanks and tapawafo like this.
  12. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

That's fantastic news, thanks for the update!

13. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Still no sign of the 1.5 update, but with a bunch of the team away at SIGGRAPH this week it may have slowed things down...

14. Urishizu

Urishizu

@UGTools Any ETA on that new version becoming available? I'm waiting on it to jump in and start using it.

15. UGTools

UGTools

Hey guys. I've contacted the Unity team and they told me the Asset Store team are super busy. It's weird because all my other assets went live the same day I uploaded a new version of AutomaticLOD (July 28th). 10 days is too much for an update :(

16. Urishizu

Urishizu

@UGTools Thanks for the update, keep us posted please.

If we begin using the prior version, will it be a seamless upgrade when the new one is released, or is it just best to wait?

Also I have some questions:
    1) Let's say I want to LOD every object in a complex scene. In your experience, would the savings from dramatically cutting the tris (i.e. for a console port) show benefits over the performance cost of the LOD system working?
    2) If I already have many existing prefabs, is it safe to add the LOD system to an instance of a prefab, calculate the LOD and apply back to the existing prefab (assuming the save for prefab checkbox is ticked)? Will it just work properly and update all of the other instances of that prefab?
    3) Also curious, is there just a way to blanket add the LOD system to a set of game objects on the scene with some standard settings?

The second one is very important to me as the game is assembled, but I just need to get a LOD-system in place for performance saving on consoles. I'm basically at the optimizing stage and I carelessly didn't think through having LOD in place.

Thank you!

17. UGTools

UGTools

v1.51 is now available!

Now by default when creating LOD gameobjects you have LODGroup switch mode selected by default. For the older ones I recommend pressing Delete LOD Data and regenerate using LODGroup.

I've done some testing prior to the release with other users and we didn't find anything. In case of a bug please contact me at info@ultimategametools.com and I will address it ASAP.

18. UGTools

UGTools

It will work, but the new LODGroup mode will only be used for newly created LOD gameobjects or old objects that have been especifically regenerated by pressing Delete LOD Data and switching to LODGroup.

It should, yes. Especially now that LODGroup uses the native Unity LOD switching mechanism.

Yes. I've seen some console exceptions in a couple of cases which may need to be addressed but none of them are critical. If you have prefabs you should be able to get an instance and delete LOD Data->change switch method->Generate LOD Data->"enable prefab usage"->save to file->apply to prefab.

But please, please, backup your projects or have them versioned (svn/git/Perforce) just in case. Always :)

There is full multiselection support for batch processing if that is what you mean. I spent a big amount of time making it work because I imagine there is a lot of need to process multiple objects at the same time.

Thanks for your feedback!

19. Urishizu

Urishizu

@UGTools New version just popped up and I'm giving it a run through. So far, so good. Using the Unity built-in LOD system is far more intuitive when working with tons of objects as well, so this is great to see it added.

So far, I've only had one crash after hitting the prefab tickbox. No error message or anything, Unity just hard crashed. But after that it's been going OK. I'll post back with results after I get a bunch of stuff converted over.

20. Urishizu

Urishizu

I think there may be a crash when converting objects from the older version to the new unity LOD system. If you have specified more than 3 LOD levels (i.e. it's set to 4), switch to Unity LOD, then attempt to calculate everything, it may crash. That's my best guess right now.

21. Urishizu

Urishizu

I've converted over all of my enemies to the new Unity LOD system in the latest release. The bulk updating worked great (multiple selected objects) and I'm not seeing any more mesh soup issues on transitions. The system is far more intuitive now using the Unity controls as well. Outside of the crashes I've outlined above, the new release is a major improvement for me.

One quick performance tip though (but my case was specific so I got away with this). I saw the use of Camera.main in an Update() loop in the main script. Profiler was reporting this at nearly 10ms a frame in my level. I precached to the camera I knew I was using and it went down to like 0.28ms in the profiler. So if anyone notices any perf issues, I'd recommend doing that (but this may just have been specific to my game).

Awesome asset! :)

22. UGTools

UGTools

Hey Urishizu, thanks for your feedback! I will go over some of the things you mentioned and see if I get the same results.
    I'm glad it worked great, especially regarding the bulk updating.

Now show me some love at the asset store reviews! :D

23. Urishizu

Urishizu

Review filed. :)

UGTools likes this.
  24. UGTools

UGTools

Thanks! those help me a lot :)

25. Urishizu

Urishizu

No problem. I'm glad I found this tool. It really helped me reclaim significant FPS for my Xbox One release. Thanks again!

26. Urishizu

Urishizu

Just wanted to report in once more now that I've Automatic LOD'd virtually everything I could in my game. Very nice FPS boosts overall, especially when you need to target platforms where you can't brute force your way through. I combined Automatic LOD with MeshBaker and got fantastic results. I mesh baked large sections of my scenes, then applied Automatic LOD to them. There was no issues even in very complex mesh bakes and performance is fantastic now.

Really awesome asset. Anyone making a complex 3D game needs this.

radiantboy likes this.
  27. UGTools

UGTools

Nice! Do you also use occlusion culling?

28. solidearthvr

solidearthvr

Good find. Camera.Main calls FindObjectsWithTag under the hood and therefore shouldn't be in Update().

I have another issue . . . I created an empty object called LOD and placed all my scenes objects under and then added an AutomaticLOD component to this LOD parent.

2017-08-21_125544.jpg 2017-08-21_125523.jpg
    I'm currently using the "switch mesh" method with AutomaticLOD version 1.51. When I move the camera I find that the the LOD of all objects under my LOD parent change at once even though they are all at different distances.

I'm guessing that I should not have childed all of my objects under the same LOD parent and this is likely the reason. Is this correct?

EDIT:
    I added the AutomaticLOD component to each of the individual objects (instead of the LOD parent) and that did the trick. I no longer have the problem of the objects changing LOD state at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  29. ranaUK

ranaUK

One known issue and a request:

using Automatic LOD, I can create a vertex modifier, but I can't move it using the handle; however, using MeshSimplify modifier, it does move.

Can we please have a separate backup game object (like the way simpleLod does it) instead of storing the backup data inside the gameObject; I want to be able to create prefab meshes and have the actual lod prefab tiny - but with AutomaticLOD or meshSimplify, it's simply bloated with backup.

30. ranaUK

ranaUK

Additional Request: I've a mesh that I can simplify down to 13% using "Mesh Simplify" and "Keep Borders" as false; with "Keep Border" as true, anything less than 28% results in almost the whole mesh disappearing.

With AutomaticLOD, it doesn't allow me to set any of those additional settings like Edge Length, Curvature and so on - and by default all are set to true. Which finally means, with autoLod, I can't bring it lower than 28%.

So can we please have these attributes available in autoLOD as well. Thanks.

31. solidearthvr

solidearthvr

Hi,

I currently have automaticLOD.

I have a scene with a bunch of buildings made up of boxed apartments combined together. This leaves many internal walls which are never seen and I would like to optimize the geometry to leave just the shell of the exterior apartment building.

Does meshsimplify have a way to optimize geometries in this way? If not, this would be a great feature.

SuperNewbee likes this.
  32. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello When there will be avaliable LOD for textures and materials? :) It would be great to have it in this system, in otehr way I have to buy aditional system for texture/ material lod.

33. ranaUK

ranaUK

Isn't that what Mipmaps are for?

trilobyteme likes this.
  34. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Nope mimaps not relese RAM from textures, It only makes textures looks better from long distance *and release some video card buffer I think) I need something linke unreal engine, Loading textures to ram during gameplay, (removing big textures when camer is far away from object) Mip map keeps huge textures all the time in ram

35. ranaUK

ranaUK

aah; well in that case, having different materials wouldn't help either; I'm guessing Unity keeps all the LODs in memory as well (imagine if it would have to read mesh everytime lod changed) with all textures.
    Shouldn't be too difficult to write some code to swap in different material and ensuring destroying the previous material - not sure how much that would help though.

36. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Meshes dont take so much memmory, textures are worst, I understand that loading it takes time, but if object is 1000 meters from player unity should unload texture from RAM, n other case it is impossible to keep more 8k teksture on scene for big objects. ;) What about material in long distance it could change material to material wih simpler shader for example no normals, specular etc, because from long distance you dont see it. ;)

37. vinnygombici

vinnygombici

Hello, I just bought the asset and I get this error message on my chracter (I use unity 2017) :
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AutomaticLOD.RestoreOriginalMeshRecursive (.AutomaticLOD root, UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject, Boolean bDeleteLODData, Boolean bRecurseIntoChildren) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1455)
    AutomaticLOD.RestoreOriginalMesh (Boolean bDeleteLODData, Boolean bRecurseIntoChildren) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1413)
    AutomaticLODEditor.RestoreOriginalMeshes () (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Editor/AutomaticLODEditor.cs:1468)
    AutomaticLODEditor.OnDisable () (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Editor/AutomaticLODEditor.cs:75)

Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

38. dave-loper

dave-loper

@ug:

So this function Vertex MinimumCostEdge() pops the vertex with least cost from the heap created in ComputeAllEdgeCollapseCosts() and in ComputeMeshWithVertexCount() we keep collapsing edges until the remaining vertices have a defined count.

I like MeshSimplify, but I have one issue with it:
    I'd like to give it the maximal cost for collapsing an edge instead of a number of remaining vertices.
    Basically I need a function similar to ComputeMeshWithVertexCount(int numbOfVert) but called ComputeMeshWithMaximalCollapseCost(float maxCollapseCost)

I though i can just check against the cost of the current vertex to collapse instead of the number of remaining vertices. But I seem to miss something, because Debugging your code it doesn't look like MinimumCostEdge() even gets called once... what am i missing? Looking forward to your hint

39. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

This is the most expensive lod asset on asset store I bought it with hope that there will be aatlasing of texture like in other lodasset much more cheaper. When it will be implemented? Really texture atlassing ismust have in 90$ asset, ;/ Is there chance that you will implement it or Should I buy another Lod asset from another dev?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  40. radiantboy

radiantboy

I am presuming polygon soup is well and truly nailed by now ?

41. olavrv

olavrv

First I would like to say that all (!) the Ultimate Game Tools assets are very well made!

It would be really amazing if you implemented a texture baking system which is better than existing solutions on the assetstore. We have purchased them all, and they do not work very well..

Keep up the good work! Hope you release more high quality assets soon!

JBR-games likes this.
  42. radiantboy

radiantboy

why would this be good? I guess you mean so far away lods use only one material and therefore only use one batch call? that would be amazing if that's what you mean. But it would need to bake everything into one atlas/texture right? but it should speed things up a lot.

43. radiantboy

radiantboy

just updated and getting a lot of compiler errors on unity 2017.2.0f3 - any ideas?

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs(1955,42): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `UnityEngine.LOD[]' to `LOD[]'

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs(1968,17): error CS1061: Type `LOD' does not contain a definition for `renderers' and no extension method `renderers' of type `LOD' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs(1973,17): error CS1061: Type `LOD' does not contain a definition for `renderers' and no extension method `renderers' of type `LOD' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs(1976,35): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.LODGroup.SetLODs(UnityEngine.LOD[])' has some invalid arguments

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs(1976,43): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `LOD[]' expression to type `UnityEngine.LOD[]'

44. radiantboy

radiantboy

Any fix for this???

45. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

It's seems like creator of this asset very rare visit this forum

radiantboy likes this.
  46. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

try contact them by e-mail, I hope they didnt abandom this asset becasue it cost a lot and I'm soon going to 2017 version too ;(

radiantboy likes this.
  47. radiantboy

radiantboy

I just realised my problem was i also had SmartLOD installed which contains a class called LOD. Took me far too long to realise that :)

Unfortunately I still have issues, all pods are empty apart from 0. And I get errors like:
    SkinnedMeshRenderer: Trying to set a mesh ("Body(Clone)") that is unfit for use with SkinnedMeshRenderer. Most likely it doesn't have Skin information and/or is only assigned to the renderer during runtime, in which case Unity isn't aware of its use with SkinnedMeshRenderer. Mark the mesh as Readable or assign it to the renderer in the Editor before building.
    UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer:set_sharedMesh(Mesh)
    AutomaticLOD:CreateBasicObjectCopy(GameObject, Mesh, Transform) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1891)
    AutomaticLOD:CheckForAdditionalLODSetup(AutomaticLOD, AutomaticLOD, LODLevelData, Int32) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1919)
    AutomaticLOD:ComputeLODMeshRecursive(AutomaticLOD, GameObject, Int32, Boolean, ProgressDelegate) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1356)
    AutomaticLOD:ComputeLODMeshRecursive(AutomaticLOD, GameObject, Int32, Boolean, ProgressDelegate) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1396)
    AutomaticLOD:ComputeAllLODMeshes(Boolean, ProgressDelegate) (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Scripts/AutomaticLOD.cs:1305)
    AutomaticLODEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/AutomaticLOD/Editor/AutomaticLODEditor.cs:680)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  48. radiantboy

radiantboy

Only seems to happen if I use unity "lod group", if I use "switch mesh" it seems ok (is that slower ?). So far so good! Polygon soup is gone. AWESOME!

I think a good feature would be to be able to specify a directory once then let it make prefabs, right now (when processing many at once) you have to wait between then to save them to the folder each time, path is not remembered either.

I think its all working as it should now, Im gonna test it for a bit then leave a review :) One thing I have noticed is that my scene size has increased in size form 100meg to 300meg, Im wondering why this is? I have automatic lod'd about 120 NPCs I guess, but still I wouldnt expect this huge filesize increase when im letting it save to .asset files. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  49. radiantboy

radiantboy

OK everything appears *almost* perfect, and it has allowed me to regain a lot of FPS. One final flaw is that sometimes they swap too late, I can be standing right next to them for up to half a second before they become the good mesh. Once I solve this it's getting 5 stars :) And if you could do the material thing people were talking about, 6 starts haha.... Amazing asset, taken me years to get it working but it's very cool now.

Edit: actually I have noticed problems with the preview in run time, it often wont really let you know what it is drawing, can it not just print what lod its using in the ui? I am swapping between views on a distant shark but it doesnt update at all, it makes me confused as to whether it is really actually showing me a less polygon version of the shark or not. Which kind of makes the whole thing pointless again. EDIT2: During runtime it wont let you preview I dont think, so it was actually drawing the lowest quality for me (making it pointful again lol) (would be nice if during run time it would tell you which one its using and have a preview) - is there no completely culled option?

Another issue I am having is filtering the hierarchy by only Automatic LOD items, because it includes all the children you cant mass adjust your automatic lod things which makes it very annoying if you want to change many at once.

ps - I am assuming my scene size increase is due to my recent light baking, not sure but I assume it needs to add info about every lightmap or something.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  50. radiantboy

radiantboy

Another issue is I have models it is not degrading (only some of them dont work), is there a limit (ie does it not bother with lower poly models? this is 3000 EDIT: I see no limit it even does the eyelashes on people! Amazing)? I used it on the parent object of a character which has a model in its head. Only the model in the head is going down in quality when I preview, not the other body parts within the object which are all skinnedmeshrenders too.

EDIT: The models that dont seem to decimate properly are from mixamo, not all only the droid ones, there is one called beta. I wonder why they dont work but almost everything else does? Something odd about them. here is one that refuses to decimate https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9bj75gd7ekuu26/Snap 2017-12-06 at 08.47.43.png?dl=0

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017