Search Unity

Automatic Gaze Input with SteamVR?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by YVanhoutte, Jun 15, 2018.

1. YVanhoutte

YVanhoutte

Hey everyone!

I started a new project for a quick test with the SteamVR package.
    The scene only contains a world space UI with a few buttons, and the standard camera.
    Beyond any possible plugins there should be no components of the SteamVR package active as far as I'm aware.
    I enabled VR support via the build settings and picked OpenVR as the targeted platform.
    When I run this (both in edit mode and in build) and look around with my headset, a button will get selected depending on the view. This is highly erratic though, sometimes going for buttons relatively at the center of view and other times highlighting buttons at the very edge of your view.
    Since I'm using Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR I disabled the mouse in the input settings of Windows MR to be certain this wasn't interfering, but the selecting keeps happening.

When I google around for gaze input it seems that this is a feature people have to script in manually, so I'm very confused as to why I have this (bad) gaze input.
    Anyone know how this happens and, more importantly, how I can disable it? Thanks in advance!

2. YVanhoutte

YVanhoutte

Update: This turned out to be cursor input, which combined with the VR tracking resulted in incredibly inconsistent and seemingly random input. To solve the issue: just don't use the standalone input module.
    For a simple input module that doesn't use the mouse at all, take a look here.
    Hope this will help other VR noobs like me in the future!