Search Unity

Feedback Automatic duplicate asset resolving

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by phobos2077, Jul 20, 2021.

1. phobos2077

phobos2077

So we have a project with a lot of art assets (textures, animations, etc.), not all of them are being used in the final build, so naturally we want Unity to resolve the dependency tree from the scenes and root assets we load explicitly down to the individual shaders, animations, and sprites being used.

Another requirement is we need to split our content into bundles based on when it's needed (when loading the menu scene, when going into action, etc.). But here comes the problem - duplicate assets.

Let's say there are Asset A which references Asset B which references Asset C (so A->B->C). Now we have a bundle 1 which has asset A explicitly referenced via Addressables location, and also we have bundle 2 which has asset B explicitly. Now as you may know, this will result in asset C being duplicated in both bundles 1 and 2.

The solution currently being offered means going to Addressables Analyze and pressing Analyze then Fix on the "Check Duplicate Bundle Dependencies". Which will put asset C explicitly into its own group. This has issues:
    1. This is manual action that needs to be done before every build. This is not an option for CI pipeline, so we would have to dig into source code and try & run this operation via script, then copy the result assets from the "Duplicate Asset Isolation" group that it creates into our own pre-configured group.
    2. It places all duplicate assets into one group, which is also not ideal for certain configurations. We might have thousands of duplicates due to how asset groups are used.
    Another solution might be to explicitly place entire folders of art assets into separate groups so that we don't have to use Analyze before every build, but it's also not a good option because it will not check if asset is referenced anywhere at all and ends up bloating the final build with unused assets.

So this begs the question.. why doesn't Addressables automatically resolves asset duplicates during build? It might have used the obvious solution of placing the duplicated asset into the bundle with the shortest reference path. So that means if I added a Scene with an FBX into one bundle, and FBX itself into another bundle, it's obvious where I would want to store the art that FBX uses...

Is there any such solution planned? Seems like another feature that's needed for practically 99% of projects.

crekri and sameng like this.
  2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll flag this with the team for some insight!

phobos2077 likes this.
  3. sameng

sameng

Great suggestion.

I would love to have this as well, it would greatly improve the addressables build workflow.

I think the solution presented would work really well for my project and be a standout benefit of addressables over a normal assetbundle workflow.

phobos2077 likes this.
  4. andymilsom

andymilsom

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback. We have experimented with this in the past, and continue to look at ways to improve the workflow, feedback is always appreciated to understand your needs.

In this regard there are particular issues that are tricky to resolve, and don't really have a good way to do so.

A majority of projects have lots of groups. Let's say we have two groups that have a shared dependency. The question now is, how to decide on what group's settings to place the dependency in. One Group could be local, and another remote and we don't have a very reliable way to know this. If the remote group was chosen, then when loading the local group it can un-expectantly go download the dependency from using remote settings. This could cause runtime issues with what and where you are loading from not being strongly defined.

Another is over-excessive bundle updates. If Assets move around regularly between bundles, it can cause a negative experience, both for hosting/download bandwidth and the users having to update often.

One possible solution is to manage duplicates within the same Group, where there is Pack Separately mode (And no other Groups also reference that dependency). As you can be confident it has the same settings.

Though at this time, we have no way that we could make this a default behaviour. It looks like in your case, and other. It will be beneficial to have some behaviour. An analyse script could be run (including in CI) which does what you are asking, placing dependencies into "dependency" groups, based on how they are used, and not just all in one group.
    I have made a task for us to look at adding a sample to our samples. Or modify the existing rule if we find it is better overall.

5. phobos2077

phobos2077

How about adding automatic dependency resolution as an option that defaults to the current behavior? In our case we don't have two groups with the same explicit entries, duplicates only happen because of implicit dependencies, so just following the shortest path rule will be perfect. I'm sure it will be beneficial for many projects.

Having to add duplicate dependencies explicitly into serialized group data seems like a hack, to be honest. Ideally you'd want to setup your project with a given structure (based on folders, etc) and then never touch Asset Groups again until you need significant structural changes in the project. I can't imagine asking artists or designers to go and add something manually to Asset Groups... this is just not going to work on bigger project.

6. andymilsom

andymilsom

Unity Technologies

We will continue to look at workflow and improvements, but I cannot give any confirmation or timeline on this.

Including a Group is the only way right now. This can be automated in your build process, done as a prebuild step and removed after building and not have any interaction or even visibility to your designers.

phobos2077 likes this.
  7. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

Was there any progress made on this issue?
    The main problem we are facing with the current de-duplication system is the following:

You have group: LocalLevel1Assets, RemoteLevel2Assets and RemoteLevel3Assets

Now there is a certain duplication between RemoteLevel2Assets+RemoteLevel3Assets, however those assets are not referenced in LocalLevel1Assets - the current algorithm still puts everything in the local "Duplicate Asset Isolation" group which will be included in the main build. However in reality it would be much better to create a "Remote Duplicate Asset Isolation" group for Level2+Level3 shared assets.

The minimum viable solution would be to have a rule create 2 duplicate asset isolations (1 for local, 1 for remote)

What we would love would be "automatic asset groups" where we can define which content can be de-duplicated by using those (e.g. a Level2Level3DynamicDeduplicationGroup). The rest of the content would still be part of the "Duplicate Asset Isolation" - Those automatic asset groups could be manually configured to de-duplicate certain other asset groups, and would be automatically updated with every build.

What could also help would be a grouping view in the Duplicate Asset Isolation Group:
    > Prefab1 [LocalLevel1Assets, RemoteLevel2Assets]
    -- Mesh1
    -- Mesh2
    -- TextureA
    > Scene1 [RemoteLevel2Assets, RemoteLevel3Assets]
    and even allow us to ideally move a whole asset group to a different duplicate asset isolation group

8. robrab2000-aa

robrab2000-aa

I'm not sure if this is useful to you or not but I've used this to help cleanup after fixing the duplicates (i.e. if you already have a Duplicate Asset Isolation group and then you do it again, they end up in Duplicate Asset Isolation1:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using System.Linq;
    4. using ArtificialArtists.Tools;
    5. using UnityEditor;
    6. using UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings;
    7. using UnityEngine;
    9. namespace ArtificialArtists
    10. {
    11.     public class DuplicateAssetIsolationCleanup
    12.     {
    13.         [MenuItem("AA_Tools/Builds/Clean Up Dependencies")]
    14.         private static void CleanUpDepenedcies()
    15.         {
    16.             AddressableAssetGroup actualDependencyGroup = null;
    17.             AddressableAssetGroup temporaryDependencyGroup = null;
    18.             AddressableAssetSettings addressableSettings = AA_Tools.GetAddressablesSettings();
    20.             foreach (var addressableAssetGroup in addressableSettings.groups)
    21.             {
    22.                 switch (addressableAssetGroup.name)
    23.                 {
    24.                     case "Duplicate Asset Isolation":
    25.                         actualDependencyGroup = addressableAssetGroup;
    26.                         break;
    27.                     case "Duplicate Asset Isolation1":
    28.                         temporaryDependencyGroup = addressableAssetGroup;
    29.                         break;
    30.                 }
    31.             }
    33.             if (temporaryDependencyGroup == null)
    34.             {
    35.                 Debug.LogWarning("No Extra Duplicates Group found");
    36.                 return;
    37.             }
    39.             addressableSettings.MoveEntries(temporaryDependencyGroup.entries.ToList(), actualDependencyGroup);
    40.             addressableSettings.RemoveGroup(temporaryDependencyGroup);
    41.         }
    42.     }
    43. }
    44. #endif

9. robrab2000-aa

robrab2000-aa

I was wondering if there is a way to analyse and then fix the duplicates by script without using reflect. I'm building out our dev-ops pipeline and this process currently involves manually clicking buttons ‍♀️