Search Unity

Automated build upload to external webserver

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by uniMaxi, Dec 5, 2014.

1. uniMaxi

uniMaxi

Would like to be able to upload the Web build to a specified external webserver location automatically after it has been built.
    Is there any functionality available to that end? Maybe some FTP automation?

2. uniMaxi

uniMaxi

Dug around a bit and found this solution that is perfectly free, unless your build is somehow over 2gigs in size, then you'll need to pay for Dropbox.

1) Have Dropbox ( www.dropbox.com )

2) Have FTP access to webhosting space with an empty folder dedicated to storing your *.unity3d build file (i made a second level domain folder for mine)

4) Have synkee ( https://www.synkee.com/ ) - it is an application that integrates with Dropbox and creates a folder in Dropbox that is synced with a given ftp folder

5) Start a new project in synkee - in this process you will create the Dropbox folder that will be synced with the folder you previously created in FTP

6) Navigate to the folder that was created in your Dropbox by synkee's new project creation procedure (likely something like Dropbox/Applications/synkee/ProjectName/ )

7) In this folder, write a simple Unity Web Player embedding html file that, when loaded in browser, looks for the *.unity3d build file in its folder and embeds it. You'll likely need to provide specific name of *.unity3d file - pick any you like ( procedure of embedding UnityWebPlayer in html file explained here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-embed-a-unity-game-into-a-webpage.86356/ )

8) Go and get the build file from Unity Cloud build. Save it to the synkee project folder with a name decided in (7)

9) Wait for Dropbox and synkee to do the update procedures. You can monitor Dropbox progress through Dropbox icon in the icon bar of your OS and you can monitor synkee's progress in synkee project's dashboard

10) Load the created html file in your browser to see the result. If you did everything right, your build will be embedded

Done.

After this is done, you simply download a new *.unity3d build to the selected dropBox location and you will see it deployed shortly. The whole process of web build deployment is now was easy as doing a Save-As in Unity Cloud interface :D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    hypeNate likes this.
  3. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi @uniMaxi - thanks for sharing this solution! Now that I've read this, I understand what you were talking about in the other forum thread. Cool!

We're working on some plans that should give users who want to auto-deploy some additional options. When those plans are more concrete and further along, we'll make sure to announce them. In the meantime, thanks for trying out the service and sharing your information!

4. yoieyo

yoieyo

@uniMaxi @hypeNate I know of a bit more of a simple and easier solution, if you get filezilla, you can connect to your server (Usually there will be a guide on how to connect FTP to server), you click connect in the top right corner and then drag files from your computer on the left side into the folder you want to put it into on the remote site on the right side, it will then upload all files and you will be able to delete and update via filezilla.

5. goldbug

goldbug

Any progress on that?

6. JustinReinhart

JustinReinhart

FYI I have used GoodSync in the past. It sits in your system tray and detects file changes and uploads to FTP. Can be configured for multiple projects and it is very robust.