Search Unity

Automated Build - Experiences - Opinions - Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoDumbQuestion, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Which Automated Build pipeline are you or your team using?

1. Free manual build from editor

22.2%
  2. Unity Cloud Build

22.2%
  3. Jenkins

11.1%
  4. Command Prompt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gitlab CI

11.1%
  6. Travis CI

5.6%
  7. Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)

11.1%
  8. TeamCity

16.7%
  9. Others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NoDumbQuestion

NoDumbQuestion

I recently have to work on develop a new automated build for some special requirement android app. After a few days, I just decide to use Gitlab CI pipeline on remote server.

Then curious feel me with wonder of what other people using as well. So here is the poll, feel free to hit me what tech I am missing.

Edit: after a week work with Gitlab CI. It was nightmare. Now I understand why there are no detail tutorial with any kind of CI.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. Roycon

Roycon

Your missing Azure Devops (VSTS) Builds

The catch was I had to setup a sever with the build agent on it then install Unity + SDKs

3. liortal

liortal

We built our own CI system (using TeamCity with build agents running Unity on them).
    This was after a long time of using Unity cloud build, which was not flexible enough for our needs.

I am not aware of any 3rd party services offering something to allow building Unity projects automatically (since u need to install some stuff, like Unity itself, Android SDK, etc). Eventually we just built our own server using local and cloud servers.

As a side note to anyone who's doing automated builds or using Unity from the command line:

I just released a new Asset store package to help with running Unity from the command line - more details here.

If you'd like to have a look and play with it (if it sounds useful for you), drop me a line so i can send you a voucher to get a free download :)

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We use vs.com with a custom build agent works perfect. But alot of config etc to get it to work, only build lightmaps when needed etc

But I hate how often they change the UI, i even wrote a blog about it :D

https://andersmalmgren.com/2018/11/16/visualstudio-com-changes-ui-daily/

5. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

Our core system is built around TeamCity but our full CI process include Azure DevOps (was called VSTS) - for Git and Pull Request system

We use to be on Unity Cloud Build but the building time are too long to have a serious QA process. Over 1h for Android while it takes a maximum of 30 minutes on a ryzen 1800x machine - going as low as 8 minutes if built on the same agent.
    We still use UCB for iOS because the cost of a powerful mac is too expensive (around $5k)

6. QFSW

QFSW

You're missing the "other" option :p

7. xjjon

xjjon

We use Unity Cloud Build, it's pretty easy to setup and integrates well with native Unity pipelines.

8. NoDumbQuestion

NoDumbQuestion

Why not use a Hackintosh on a powerful PC, i still use one as dev and it work fine as expected.

9. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think that's actually against the Apple EULA.

ttermeer-reboundcg and QFSW like this.
  10. NoDumbQuestion

NoDumbQuestion

Hum, you are right. I got too used with comfort of gray area.