Search Unity

Autochess - a profitable DOTA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rasly233, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasly233

Rasly233

Every developer think about gameplay and i want ask what you think about it.

Consider those gameplay ideas:
    *Fair: very challenging.
    *Teamscore/Luckbased: kind of challenging, require good pc.
    *Pay2Win not challenging, annoying but free, require good pc.
    *BattleRoyale luck based, kind of challenging, pretends to be big, gameplay is fast, any pc.
    *Autoches very luckbased, a little bit challenging, very fast gameplay, any pc.

Obviously Autoches is most profitable because it is accesable to more people.
    So should we all make Autoches now?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

How do you determine hardware req. based soley on genre? nonsense.

I make games that i've always wanted to play.

Antypodish and hippocoder like this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

What is Autoches? When I google it, I only get hits for some game called AutoChess. I don't suppose that's the same thing?

4. ADNCG

ADNCG

Pretty sure that's what he's referring to. DotA 2 has a way of making custom games with their "Hammer" editor IIRC. There is this highly popular game named AutoChess and Valve decided to make their own version "Underlords" with the DotA characters. It launched last week.

Outperforming Valve seems super likely. Watch me, this is how I'm going to make my millions.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Sorry, I'm still working on my Fortnite clone.
    I mean PUBG clone.
    I mean Hearthstone clone.
    I mean Flappy Bird clone.
    I mean Doom clone.
    I mean Mario clone.
    I mean Tetris clone.
    I mean Zork clone.
    I mean Pong clone.

6. Vryken

Vryken

I'd rather make something I enjoy, rather than something just for-profit.
    This is also why I've fallen out of favour with most Tripple-A games nowadays; because they're the same, uninspired, rehashed formula that's been done thousands of times already.

Antypodish and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  7. Rasly233

Rasly233

Yes you can, Also i tihnk we all wanted to make a game for ourselves but when you need to go to actual work you start to think differently.

Point is what bring more money. What people actualy want? Like i want Content and Interactivity but general public seems to treng towards Lotto like games, aka games that dont represent challenge but rather fast dumb luck. So its not easy for me to understabg how to setup gameplay.

8. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

That list is ridiculous....

.... You missed out minecraft clone :D

Well one thing you clearly dont want is punctuation or correct use of spelling & grammar.... ;)

xVergilx likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

What is "autoches"? @kdgalla already asked but you didn't answer. :)

Antypodish likes this.
  10. Rasly233

Rasly233

Because i was thinking he is trolling, i mean its clear that i mean AutoChess, i dont know how it could mean anything else. Sreiously i thought people here would be smart enough so i would not have to be so precise.

11. Rasly233

Rasly233

I try to take you seriously. Did you not understand something? Then how about you ask and ill explain it more clearly. But if you understand everything and still bitching about grammar, then youre on wrong forum. Its not hard for me to check spelling, i just dont think its important because it is not a grammar forum and many people here are from other countries, so as long as what i write is understandable, it is ok.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Amon, MadeFromPolygons and hippocoder like this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Or you think about how it's done properly and do that then it runs fine.

Ryiah, Amon, SparrowGS and 1 other person like this.
  13. Rasly233

Rasly233

Except everyone have their idea about how it is done properly.

14. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

While the points you made just now are all sensible, I just wanted to point out that mentioning someones poor use of spelling or grammar does not make someone a troll. Also calling people trolls as you have done here a couple times now in a short space of time doesnt really do much except raise tensions in the thread, the same goes for swearing.

You might not care about writing properly (and you have every right to do as you please) but some people do, I am one of those hence why I mentioned it. Its not a big deal, unless you make it one by getting aggressive about it.

My tone wasnt aggressive, I was merely pointing it out and even included an emoji to show that clearly it was meant in good spirit.

So to sum up, yep your right most people can understand what your saying. But its spelt incorrectly, and I highlighted that. No biggie. Peace.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Being precise is what you need if you want to make games (or anything else for that matter).

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No? it's pretty clear at least to me, or even a glance at GDC. You need to look at the source for your advice: a professional or an amateur, then take the necessary steps. But this is another discussion...

I'm sorry though everyone needs to get back on topic, and I will edit the title to clarify the typo from "Autoches" to "Autochess - a profitable DOTA?"

SparrowGS likes this.
  17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Going on topic, I am not sure what your asking ,it seems your asking whether making luck based games versus non luck based games is a good strategy for making a game that makes money?

if that is what your asking (sorry if I misunderstood) then my take is this:

I think above all a game should be fun, if its fun it has the chance of being addictive in a good way (as in without using gambling mechanics) and likely to draw an audience.

Generally its always better to make a game fun than try and make it a "money maker" as games that are fun tend to be easier to market and sell for indies anyway.

But that said, a lot of AAAs get away with shovelling rubbish that isnt fun but is built to make money, but again their budgets and marketing is very different to what you or I can acomplish.

So my 2 cents is "is it fun" is more important than "will this make money" and usually if it is fun, itll be more likely to make money

SparrowGS and hippocoder like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nice post (had to delete some others) - yes lets discuss the real details as GDC (hehe) has said!

Rasly233 and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  19. Rasly233

Rasly233

I disagree, efficiency is a balance betven precision and creativity.

20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I have to ask, @Rasly2 is this something your asking because your thinking of making an autochess style game? Or is it purely just out of interest?

Im only asking because I think the autochess "craze" has sort of passed and I dont think making an autochess clone would be profitable to anyone other than a AAA right now

21. Rasly233

Rasly233

Yes i have a prototype with some gameplay that makes me wonder if i do it proprly. I want my game to be fun but also to make money.

Well in my case i try to make an isometric shoter, with main selling point being cheaterproof and very easy on connection and server. I plan to sell game for 9 bucks without any other monitization.

But i wanted this to be generic like: What is considered fun gameplay today and what do you need to make money.

22. Antypodish

Antypodish

Problem with jumping on end of hype train, is that clones tends to bring little to no income.
    By the time you will release your product, train will be gone.
    Sure you may get some earnings. But don't be surprised, if that is much less than expected.
    In the end, you are not the only one, who makes clones. So competition is rather big.

Wouldn't be better to focus on something, which is more close to your hart/soul?

xVergilx and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, why not?

The new title is a lot better. :)

24. Rasly233

Rasly233

I think about turning my project into autoshess. I dont think that its late because Lol servers are crashing from too many players and it takes second to find a game in lol autochess. It is super popular now and its easy to do it seems.

25. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I don't see how those two contradict each other.

Saying "yes you can" isn't an answer.
    hardware req. might be derived from game features, while it's true that most game in each genre share a lot of features with each other, it's still not a way to catalog them, it depends on what you're doing with the game.

And not all of us are chasing money, I have a day job that makes me enough to live the way I want and even help my mom pay her bills, on my free time I work my projects that I make by what I think is fun, not what I think is gonna be a cash cow.
    How do you think all the game people try to copy started?, somebody had an idea of something they think is fun and never been done before (or in my case only done in a minimal fashion on '90s flash games) - that's how you start a hype train.

xVergilx and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  26. frosted

frosted

No zombie or survival games... what a scrub.

27. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

it seems
    it seems
    it seems

xVergilx and Antypodish like this.
  28. frosted

frosted

nah, autochess really is. It was a chinese mod that was super sloppy at first. Valve turned it into a commercial product in like a month and a half.

This is one of those really rare instances where it really was that easy (if you had the dota characters as a base)

29. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I'm sure the reputation and IP had more to do with success than anything else. Me and you make autochess nobody gonna know or care.

xVergilx, Gekigengar and Antypodish like this.
  30. Murgilod

Murgilod

lmao, the new topic name

"Profitable DOTA"

DOTA is profitable DOTA.

xVergilx and bart_the_13th like this.
  31. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

but seriously, what is autochess games? is it a game with gameplay like dota autochess which I havent played (not dota fan here..) ?
    a gameplay explanation would be nice
    why would it become new profitable dota if it based on dota itself?

angrypenguin likes this.
  32. Rasly233

Rasly233

Yes it dosnt realy have anything with dota, its basicaly a new gameplay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.