Search Unity

Auto-Updating Emoji?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Antistone, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Antistone

Antistone

Google is changing its developer terms (effective February 2) so that emoji added to Unicode in the future need to be supported in apps within 4 months. They point out some Android libraries that can be used to support this.

What do Unity devs need to do about this? Are those libraries already used/usable in Unity somehow?

What's the latest state of emoji support in TextMeshPro? Last time I looked at it, it seemed like you could sort of do emoji via sprites, but you had to use sprite tags rather than the unicode being directly interpreted, and you needed to prerender an atlas of every emoji you wanted to use.

Also, I would be interested if anyone here can offer specific reliable information on exactly what apps this applies to. Does this mean every Android app with user-enterable strings must support emoji, or just that if you support emoji you need to keep it up-to-date? Or that you're somehow required to do this even if you don't allow the user to enter strings? (Which seems like the strict literal reading, but also seems crazy.)

Ardito92ITA likes this.
  2. tepa

tepa

I am wondering the same things. Have you got any new ideas around the topic?

In my Android game, I don't think player can use emojis anywhere. I have 1 text field but it is type of integer and it opens device's number keypad. But the new emoji policy says that all apps should comply. I wonder if I should do something even that there is no place to put emojis anywhere in my game.

Anybody have new thoughts or helpful links to provide?

3. Alan-Liu

Alan-Liu