Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Texture Tiling Tool Version 1.82, 2018.3 ready

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chris_Entropy, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Version 1.82 is now compatible with the new Prefab-System of Unity 2018.3
    You can now tile textures on pre-defined submeshes with the Basic Texture Tiling script, also included in this asset package. Now also works with light maps.

Everyone has been in this situation: you want to prototype some new map or build some architecture in the Editor, since you don't want to fire up your 3D-modeling software for such simple stuff. You build a floor and some walls.
    But oh no! The texture stretches! No problem, since you can set tiling in the Material Editor of Unity.
    But oh no! Now the tiling of each side is the same. And it is also the same for any object with this material! But you don't want that!
    You give up completely frustrated and abandon your project for weeks, drinking yourself to sleep with vodka while binge watching Netflix.
    There has to be a better way! But there isn't...

Or is there...?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present:

Simply slap the AutoTextureTiling.cs script to any game object with a mesh and voila! The textures get automatically tiled.
    "But wait", I hear you ask, "what if I want to change the scale of my texture? I bet you did not think of that!"
    Hah, you could not be more wrong! You can change the scaling, offset and even the rotation of the tiled texture with ease in the inspector. You can even do so for each side of your object individually!
    Heck, I even added a feature, that lets you add and edit a different material to each side!
    "Now come on, it can't be THAT easy to solve such an intricate problem!"
    You would not believe HOW easy it actually is to use. How easy it is, you ask? It is so easy, that I wrote a humorous informercial style sales pitch instead of taking this seriously.
    Just add the script to cubes, spheres and whatnot and start prototyping or even building levels for your game. You don't want to take the time to add the script to anything? Heck, I even added a menu item for you lazy folks!
    Another new feature is Mesh Baking: you can now save the generated mesh as an asset in the project view, making the tool even more useful.

Now the best part: it's so dirt cheap that it is a steal! For only $14.55 you can get your very own copy of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool today: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41613

Buy it, download it and never worry again about tiling textures!

Version 1.79 with New Features
    The Auto Texture Tiling Tool will now try to import already applied materials. Like this you can pre-apply materials in a 3D Modeling program and then make them tile in Unity with the Tool!

Version 1.77 with New Features

The new version of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool is uploaded and available on the Asset Store. It features face dependent texture manipulation. Now you can edit more complex shapes than before!

A little preview for the new Face Dependent unwrapping of Version 1.75:

Behaviour with Cube Projection:

As you can see, all sides facing in the same general direction will share the same settings. This is fine for simple cubes, but might not be enough for more complex shaped.

Behaviour with Face Dependent unwrapping:

Now you are able to edit offset, rotation, scale and material of each face individually.

A little preview for the new Gizmo handles of Version 1.72:

Offset
    You can control the offset by dragging the mouse on the arrow axis. Hold the Left Control key to snap the offset to discrete steps. Click on the blue cube to center the texture and click on the white handles to snap the texture to the edges of the object.
    Offset.jpg

Rotation
    Click and drag the sphere handle to rotate the texture. You can again hold the Left Control key to snap the rotation to fixed degrees.
    Rotation.jpg

Scale
    Like with the offset, you can control the scale by clicking and dragging along the X or Y axis of the texture. Use the white handle to scale the texture uniformly. Hold the Left Control key to snap the scaling to discrete values.
    Scale.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    TeagansDad and hippocoder like this.
  2. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

New Feature: Rotations!

Auto Texture Tiling Tools 1.6 was released and it has an awesome new feature: You can now rotate the textures on each side of the object individually. And they are still tiled!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41613

You want some new features? Post suggestions here!

JBR-games likes this.
  3. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi Chris!
    Just stumbled on your asset , and if it meets only some of the promises , it is probably the most underrated and useful asset throughout the store ;). Bought it just a minute ago and there will be feature requests, for sure :p.

Cheers
    Michael

Chris_Entropy likes this.
  4. JBR-games

JBR-games

Hey everyone just thought I would mention that I bought this Asset when it was first released and since then the publisher has been very supportive and open to new feature requests. It has been continually updated with new features over the past months. It is simple and quick to use, and best of all the new texture uvs look great...

5. Tubbritt

Tubbritt

I just have to chime in and give my 2 cents on this one for sure as it's pretty awesome.

I only purchased this a short while ago but I can't believe how important this has turned out to be as part of my main “Tool Set”.

There are the obvious benefits to this asset in that it simply saves you a ton of time and it does away with the need to have countless duplicated versions of the same textures in my project just to maintain scale.

But what may not be so obvious is the fact that this also allows you to maintain quality / consistency across your objects that share the same materials. The same texture always looks scaled perfect regardless the size of the object with zero effort. No more trying to match things up.

It's easily the most useful asset I've purchased form Unity Store by far. Highly recommended even from a pure common sense point of view. This asset makes Unity work how it should work by default.

Regards
    James

Chris_Entropy and JBR-games like this.
  6. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

SUPER SECRET SANTA RAFFLE

You can get the Auto Texture Tiling Tool for free, and you only have to do one thing:
    Write a post in this thread, where you describe, why you need the Auto Texture Tiling Tool, or write what features are missing in your opinion. I will not only try to implement those features, I will also give away a voucher for the Auto Texture Tiling Tool to the first five people to post!

7. MOSTY

MOSTY

I want to try this asset (if i win it) for prototyping my levels for my upcoming casual game! Thanks for your work!

8. p6r

p6r

Very interesting to be able to adjust textures... Not always easy to do !
    It could help me a lot. Thanks.
    6R

9. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi Chris!
    Already own this asset!
    My suggestions:
    1. Bake button to bake in the uv-tiling and material, so i can get rid of your script(to export as package).
    2. Indication on what side i´m adjusting the parameters(blend a color).
    3. Is it possible to assign different Materials to the 6 sides in future?
    4. Have a different Texture on the side i`m adjusting(only for adjustment, some of these uv-textures)
    5. Gizmos for adjusting the texture(size, rotation) (this would sometimes completely eliminate to go to main 3D-App).
    All this would make a Pro Texture Tile Tool ;)

Thanks Michael

JBR-games and Chris_Entropy like this.
  10. gurayg

gurayg

Hello,
    I'm modelling some of my scenes using Unity and moving the models over to Blender for final touches,
    I'd like to see if "Auto Texture Tiling Tool" can work in high poly models, terrain meshes and when exported to other 3d packages.

11. radimoto

radimoto

Hi there, looks like this could be pretty handy for rapid prototyping levels. Cheers!

12. MOSTY

MOSTY

Did someone get a voucher already?

13. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Thank you all very much for your input! We have five winners and the vouchers will be sent out soon. I will get my hands dirty to implement some new features you mentioned after the Holidays.

Until then: Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

14. p6r

p6r

Voucher received and asset downloaded.
    Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays too !
    6R

15. MOSTY

MOSTY

thanks, too ;)
    merry christmas!

16. JBR-games

JBR-games

All great ideas..

17. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Yes, the Gizmos are high on my feature list already, they are the next step for the next update. The other features are very good ideas, too. I will see that I implement them in the next weeks (after the holidays, that is ;-) ).

I think the "baking" feature proposed by mensch.mueller will also be great for you. I plan on saving the generated meshes as a Unity asset, which should be compatible with other packages for exporting models for example. For terrains, I don't know if my script will work with them, since they are different from normal meshes, but there is something called "Triplanar Projection", which works with shaders and is already available on the asset store.

18. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

When i have multiple materials and textures per material..
    can i select the affected material and textures?

19. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Hm, that's a good idea. I think I will set this on my priority list. Currently only one material is affected.

JBR-games likes this.
  20. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

would be great, since it would be a great help in a tile system, where rotated tiles are not matching with seamless textures, unless you rotate the texture
    :)

21. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Ok, just so I get this right, could you give me a screenshot of what the feature you have in mind would do? Maybe a screenshot of an object with the current behaviour and a description of the intended behaviour? I think that would be the easiest way.

22. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

Current State:

as you can see, the rotated wall tiles are fitting perfetcly to each other, like the floor tiles too.
    But:
    See the Bottom left wallrow, which fits the Floor perfectly.
    The lower right not, cause of the tile rotation, the grass texture can't fit the Floor tiles.

Here a feature to rotate the grass would be great, to correct the texture-2-tile rotations.

The grass Texture is a separate Texture on my Material. The grass blends over the rock via a blend-texture - so if the grass is rotated, the rock isn't affected (my material can blend up to 4 textures over each other - like vertex blending, just blendmap-based)

23. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I am currently having some other projects, so I could not invest as much time into the tool as I wanted. But I added a small new feature: You can now change the material of each side of an object individually!
    I uploaded it for review to the Asset Store, so it will be available in a few days. If you already have purchased the tool and want a preview, you can mail me and I will send it to you. Don't try to trick me, I know my guys! :D

24. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Auto Texture Tiling Tool now even MORE USEFUL!
    The new minor update version 1.61 was release, which lets you add different materials to each side of the object. Check it out!

25. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Coming Soon
    I just uploaded Version 1.62 to the Asset Store.
    The Auto Texture Tiling Tool will now have the added functionality to save the runtime created meshes as an asset in the asset folder.
    As usual this update will take some days before it will be approved by apple.

26. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Version 1.62 with New Feature: Mesh Baking
    The small update 1.62 was released, adding a new function to the Auto Texture Tiling Tool. You can now save the generated mesh as an asset in the project view, making the tool even more useful. Use it to export the mesh to other applications or create prefabs.

JBR-games likes this.
  27. Poopenheimer

Poopenheimer

Hello! Just bought the asset package. Really useful to me as a level designer!

I was fooling around with trying it on some 3D models made in ZBrush and 3DSmax for my game and it seems it only works on certain ones that are less complex in shape. I'm getting an error on some canyon rock objects though, saying there's a failure to place triangles, something about the indices being way more than the vertices. It distorts the mesh into a bunch of weird polygons. Here's some examples:

This is it when it's not applied: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Hclsy53HwVRU4xbGo0dHp4TkE/view?usp=sharing

This is after applying it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Hclsy53HwVMGFDeXhMaDRxdUE/view?usp=sharing

Anyway to fix this? Like specific import settings, or export options that might allow me to use this asset package to auto tile on these rocks?

Thanks for the help!

28. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Hi there, this looks really funky. Probably some error with reading or writing the mesh. Maybe there are some unconnected vertices or something. If you provide me with the project file (or maybe the asset), I can take a look at what went wrong and fix it.

29. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

@Poopenheimer One other thing, do you use the newest version of the tool? This seems similar to a bug I already fixed.

30. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The bug was fixed and the bugfix will be online in a few days. If everyone else encounters this or a similar problem, contact me and I can provide you with the fix immediately.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  31. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The Auto Texture Tiling Tool is running now without bugs (at least none of you found any until now).

But I am currently working on breaking it again ;-)
    I found some time to add some graphical helpers. When it is finished you will be able to click the different sides of an object to select and highlight them. You will then be able to manipulate the texture with handles (like the one for scaling, moving and rotating of objects) and also edit the values in a dedicated window, so no more guessing which side is which.

Below a little work-in-progress screenshot:

Attached Files:

JBR-games likes this.
  32. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi Chris
    It would be great, if we have handles on the sides of UVs, so we could snap them to edges of geometry!
    So that we can easily fit them to the object.
    like SabreCSG: http://sabrecsg.com/learn/reference/brush-tools/
    That would be phenomenal :)

Cheers and have a good time programming!
    Michael

33. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

34. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Upcoming Version 1.7 with New Features
    The new version of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool is ready and uploaded to the Asset Store for approval. You will get a bunch of new functionality and a completely new GUI with Gizmos and graphical handles!
    It will be available in a few days. Get the Auto Texture Tiling Tool now, while it still has the old price!

JBR-games likes this.
  35. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi Chris
    Great! I´m really curious :)

Michael

36. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

A little preview for the new Gizmo handles of the upcoming Version 1.7 of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool. Still available for the old price for a few more days!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/41613

Offset
    You can control the offset by dragging the mouse on the arrow axis. Hold the Left Control key to snap the offset to discrete steps. Click on the blue cube to center the texture and click on the white handles to snap the texture to the edges of the object.
    Offset.jpg

Rotation
    Click and drag the sphere handle to rotate the texture. You can again hold the Left Control key to snap the rotation to fixed degrees.
    Rotation.jpg

Scale
    Like with the offset, you can control the scale by clicking and dragging along the X or Y axis of the texture. Use the white handle to scale the texture uniformly. Hold the Left Control key to snap the scaling to discrete values.
    Scale.jpg

mensch-mueller and JBR-games like this.
  37. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new version 1.7 of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool is reviewed and available on the Asset Store.

JBR-games likes this.
  38. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new version is released, and nothing seems to be broken. At least there are no bug reports yet. ;-)
    Which leads to the question: which feature(s) should I add next? Is there anything you are missing? Anything that is currently stupid? Or maybe even a feature, that makes the plugin too bloated and unreliable and should be removed?

Please post your ideas about what is missing in the Auto Texture Tiling Tools.

On an unrelated topic: I just saw, that I still had the old screenshot of the Asset Store entry with the old price. Sorry for that.

JBR-games likes this.
  39. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

To make things even more confusing, the Asset Store screenshot is out of date again: The Auto Texture Tiling Tool is available at the reduced price of $5.95 for the remainder of the week. Get it while its cheap!

40. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Fixed some minor bugs, removed the Auto-Popup of the new Editor Window (apparently this was annoying). Made the Plugin path independent, so now you can copy it anywhere in your project.

If you encounter any other issues or if you think that a feature is missing, just give your input here, and I will give my best to try and satisfy your needs (that came out wrong).

The changes will be uploaded in a few days, as usual.

41. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new Version 1.71 is available in the Asset Store.

42. samusam

samusam

hi, why i have this message when i click on ATTwindows

Attached Files:

43. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

You have to click on the selected object again to show the tools and options for the Auto Texture Tiling Tool.

44. samusam

samusam

Hi, i click again on the objedct but the message reamins. Where is my error?. Once it run.

45. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Does the debug console say anything?

46. samusam

samusam

it is that i do

47. samusam

samusam

No error in consol

48. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Ah, this was a misunderstanding on my part. I thought that you were clicking on scene objects. You have to click a scene object with the Auto Texture Tiling Tool component to see its properties. I don't think that it will work with clicking on Assets on the asset list.
    Can you try to add an Auto Texture Tiling component to a scene object and then click on it on the scene view?

49. samusam

samusam

ok it is a problem texture

50. samusam

samusam

sorry anoher problem:
    InvalidOperationException: This cannot be used during play mode.
    UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty (Scene scene) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorSceneManagerBindings.gen.cs:156)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.MarkSceneDirty () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.deprecated.cs:95)
    AutoTiling.AutoTextureTiling.Awake () (at Assets/AutoTextureTilingTool/Scripts/AutoTiling/AutoTextureTiling.cs:591)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object)
    MBS.tbbBattleField:CreateField(String) (at Assets/Resources/myBad Studios/TurnBasedBattles/Scripts/tbbBattleField.cs:312)
    MBS.tbbBattleField:InitializeBattleSystem() (at Assets/Resources/myBad Studios/TurnBasedBattles/Scripts/tbbBattleField.cs:375)
    MBS.tbbBattleLauncher:LaunchBattleSystem(Vector3, Quaternion) (at Assets/Resources/myBad Studios/TurnBasedBattles/Scripts/tbbBattleLauncher.cs:188)
    MBS.<LaunchBattleSystem>c__IteratorE:MoveNext() (at Assets/Resources/myBad Studios/TurnBasedBattles/Scripts/tbbBattleLauncher.cs:135)
    When run the texture