Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Fence Builder [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Two_Click_Tools, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

All Users of Unity 5.5+
    API Update

Following the recent Unity update, the source code's use of some Random() functions needs updating. When you Import AFWB, please allow it to Update API.

Thanks Joe

2. highfade

highfade

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep your method in mind.

I didn't use too many different textures and materials so just kept those needed and deleted the rest, so the AFWB folder is still there but with only my meshes and the required textures.

3. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Any news about random objects/irregularities?

4. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi Rod

Very sorry for the delay, I didn't get a forum notification, and there have been no tech support issues recently.
    We're planning an update for the middle of June which will include this. If you want to email support early June for a beta, you are welcome.

Thanks

Joe

julianr likes this.
  5. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Does the have to ability to automatically connect during runtime?
    Like in Command and conquer. You would put a corner down then when you placed then next corner if it was close enough it would automatically join the walls.

I would like to use this in an RTS. But that connection at runtime is critical for me since the players will be the ones placing it.

I would like to use it in combination with RTS Engine by SuminDelRio
    **Note I did already buy this just haven't used it yet**

6. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi,AFWB is focused on offline building. A demo script is included demonstrating how to call the building functions at runtime. It does work offline in the way you described, but it would be up to you to write an interface for your player that calls the necessary point-to-point section building.

If you'd like to try the realtime demo ( after seeing how it works offline first), you're welcome to email us with any questions about how to implement the functionality you need.

Cheers

Joe

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  7. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Hi -

Nice asset. However, a few questions / suggestions.

1) How do you delete a preset (beyond deleting the preset file?)
    2) How do you save the existing preset you are editing? The only way seems to be to create a new preset?
    3) Collider options should really be per-preset and not global as this tends to be pretty specific to the fence.
    4) The dropdown list for presets is a real mess. I'm sure it didn't start out this way, but it is now. It should be refactored into a scrollable list in a dialog or something. Frankly, if I was doing that, I would instead just get rid of the plain text preset files and instead use scriptable objects for the presets. This would simply a lot of things, allow you to delete/duplicate presets for free, allow dragging a preset from your assets to change your preset, etc.
    5) Is there any reason you force a finalize on fences before you start another? This workflow is not realistic as it implies you do everything correctly the first time. I don't see much difference between a finalized fence builder and a current fence builder beyond some of the finalization scripts. It would be much nicer if the fences could all be designable until you are absolutely ready to finalize them (after play testing, etc). I know there are some (odd) workaround workflows for this, but meh :). If the issue is something constantly being updated on these builders, then just do them on the selected fence builder.

8. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi, thanks for the comments.

1) There's no extra convenience function for deleting presets, as you found, deleting the file works.
    2) Saving over a preset... This is something we could implement if you think it's useful. The original idea was to protect the original.
    3) Colliders, again do-able, what is it about certain fence presets that would necessitate them having colliders or not? It seemed like a per-project choice, e.g. fences in an area outside the player's access would usually not need them, but the same preset in the player's path would, hence the quick global switch.
    4) When you say 'real mess' do you mean that the list grows very long and therefore is cumbersome to navigate?
    If so, agreed, and having them organised in to smaller sub-categories is something we're trying.
    5) Finalization - You make a good case for this. Honestly, we've had no feedback on this aspect at all, but as the asset has grown I can see it could be useful to keep several designs live, without the current extra steps required to re-edit a finished fence.

You're welcome to contact support if you'd like interim betas on any of these.

9. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Note: edited because I included everything in the reply quote.

2. Yes, this would be very nice as especially when you are fiddling with custom fences, you want to play with it, save it, play with it some more, save it, etc. Iteration. Right now I have like 10 presets saved for the same fence because I saved each time I fiddled with it. It would be nice to just have a "save over" button that maybe pops up a confirmation dialog before saving it.

3. Well, many of the colliders that are generated don't really match the geometry well. One of the fences I am using (Brick with concete or something?) is perfect for a firing position, but the box collider goes end to end rather than actually covering only the rail and the wall (so I can't fire over it). I might have to generate custom colliders for some of the fences. In the case of my custom fences I want to use custom colliders as they work perfectly. But on some other fences I might want colliders on everything depending on the geometry (for example some fences with some posts maybe I allow firing between the posts,so I want each post to have a collider. But in some other fences, for whatever reason, visually, etc, I figure "it doesn't make sense to fire through the posts, so I dont need a collider covering them". etc etc

4. Yes, selecting fences is very tedious because of the number of them available. A solution to that would be great. A favorites list would be extra credit.

5. Yes, this would be a great addition. I find that as I muck with the level there are fences that I don't like the way they are designed so I want to move them a bit. Maybe I want to lower it because it is a bit too high to fire over after playtesting or extend it. etc. I find myself deleting fences and recreating them quite a bit.

As a corollary, whenever I click the checkbox for modifying the fence control points, unity becomes almost unusable. If you are doing something here per-frame in this mode, maybe you could do it every half a second or something to make this more usable?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. truefx001

truefx001

I have a question and I don't know if its already implemented been playing around with your asset that I just bought couple of days ago. Is there a gate door available anywhere? Would be great if we could have a door that opens or closes the fence/gate with a script if the character has a player tag. Different doors/gates for different fences.
    Great asset so far and what a selection of fences and walls, wow!!!

11. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi, this is definitely on the to-do list! In the meantime you can remove any section after you've finalised a fence and place your own door there.

Cheers

Joe

12. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

I'll post here as usual when the update is ready. I'll prioritise 5, 4, 1 for the next release and the others soon after.

13. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

Can you use your own meshes instead of the generated fences?
    Can you pull the fence nodes into the air?
    Can you rotate the fence so it's not facing up, but sideways?
    Can you rotate each node to twist it from up to sideways?
    Can you duplicate a parallel fence with a width parameter? (the consistent distance between the two fences)

These things would really open up the functionality of this tool so that I wouldn't just be placing grounded fences, but could make race tracks to water slides

Thanks for answering my questions before I purchase.
    Jeremy

14. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the questions.

Yes, you can use your own meshes.

Pull in air/rotate sideways... not during the design phase, but after finalizing the fence, you can treat it like any other game object.

You can rotate similar elements (e.g. All posts), but not apply a seperate rotation to each individual node.

The parallel duplication feature is coming in the next update.

To be honest, this would not be the ideal tool for making water slides; a large part of it's functionality is following the ground/terrain in a convincing manner, and adjusting the length of elements to suit. It sounds like a more freeform modeling tool like Pro Builder could work.

Joe

15. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

I have Pro Builder but I prefer using Sketchup with sketcheducation extensions, importing to maya to auto uv and then to Substance painter, and then to unity.

I got some inspiration from this water slide image from dinotopia: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jpYernEyqls/VOM4NT1XUqI/AAAAAAAAaDk/J610slQxNME/s1600/WB3+Cargo+Chute.jpg
    It's like a race course, with fence sides, but modeling programs are a bother at doing this sort of thing in a productive way.

But I could use a flat mesh on a poly line as the plane for the water slide and then place the fence along the sides of the mesh. Right?

Thanks for answering my questions. I have a better idea as to what will work for me.

16. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Yes, that's a great looking concept, and following the base mesh would work fine, and there's a wall similar to that included or can can use your own meshes/game-objects.

17. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

"Can you rotate the fence so it's not facing up, but sideways?
    Can you rotate each node to twist it from up to sideways?
    You can rotate similar elements (e.g. All posts), but not apply a seperate rotation to each individual node."

I also have a need for this feature. Is this feature difficult to implement?

Jeremy-Borton likes this.
  18. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

I'd have to say at this point it's not a priority as we're concentrating on more general wall-related features mentioned elsewhere for the next release. It's not overly difficult to implement, the main work would be providing an interface for specifying the rotations on individual pieces, without cluttering the interface or adding complexity for normal useage.

Of course it can go on the todo list if needed, what would be your example of needing to rotate individual nodes seperately?

Joe

19. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Hi -

In SetupPost ()

you have

thisPost.layer = 8

:). Can you make this configurable somewhere please and not an arbitrary layer? Even after finalizing the fence the posts would stay on this layer (it seems like they should get put back to default on finalization). I'm not sure why they are moved to this layer anyway - I assume for some sort of collision reason.

20. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi, yes, not a problem. It was for trivial picking when wanting to move nodes.
    Contact us at the support address if you want a modified script before the next update.

Apologies to all for the lateness of the update... no excuse other than summer hols!

21. mkgame

mkgame

Hi, awesome asset!
    1. Can we make any presets?
    2. Is it possible to do not break the connection to the prefabs after deploying the fence? I must do some changes later to the components.

Hint: forget 1! I see there is a button "Save Preset".

22. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi
    2) Not exactly, but it's really as easy as drag&dropping your re-modified prefab back in to the slot, and everything will update instantly. The reason for this is that AFWB creates private copies of all the fence parts in order to modify the meshes etc. to adapt to the terrain.

Keep in mind that the Transform properties of Position, Rotation & Scale are set within the AFWB interface, so modifying these externally on your prefab might not give the results you expect. E.g. If you set an X scale of 2 on your prefab, then re-import it to AFWB, the X scale will be determined by the settings, which might not be 2.

Thanks

Joe

23. wood333

wood333

I have questions regarding the fort panel/pole.

1 The default fort palisade wall is too short (in terms of historical palisade walls). To get the fort to the desired height I attempted to use the "Fence Height Scale" slider. This stretches the tops of the poles and makes them look unrealistically perfectly tapered sharp, like a pencil. I next attempted to make the palisade higher by stacking, which helped a little, but only works for one additional stack. How do I get the palisade higher and still looking good?

2. When I returned to the scene to prepare this post, Auto Fence Builder warns that for the Auto Fence Creator, "The associated script can not be loaded..." although there is a Current Fence Folder for the single section of fort palisade on which I was experimenting. Why have I lost control of the fence when all I have done is exit unity editor a few times? If I fail to save shouldn't the last saved version of the current fence remain accessible? This is probably my fault, but what do I need to avoid doing to keep the current fence active if I have to leave the Unity Editor?

24. julianr

julianr

If anyone is undecided or on the fence (pun intended) with Auto Fence Builder - grab it! Its a time saving and useful tool to add to your collection, it will add value to your game and bring things more closer to life by adding those details to your game that really make it work. Not only that, Joe has always been there to support you.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  25. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi,
    1) Yes, at heights above 4 or 5 metres, that design does start to look a bit pointy. As the upright posts are one single mesh, when AFWB modifies them for your higher setting, the sharpening is unavoidable on this particular shape. The best way around this is to import the mesh in to some modelling software and lengthen just the straight part (or lower the end point), then re-export. If this sounds a bit of a faff, contact us at the support address and I'll send you a modified prefab.

2) Absolutely should not happen, so if you can reproduce it, please let me know the details. In the meantime, did you know you can clone the fence in your orphaned Current Fence Folder? This will rebuild it as an active fence.

1.rename Current Fence Folder (or just add "-Old" on the end) so it doesn't get overwritten.
    2. make a mental note of which preset you're using, or if customised, save it with a new name.
    3. remove AFB from the Hierarchy, then re-add it.
    4. drag 'Current Fence Folder -Old" in to the Cloning Options of the AFWB Inspector and press Copy Layout, then select the appropriate preset style.

You can now hide Current Fence Folder -Old, and you will be left with the active clone.

BTW, this cloning trick can also be used to construct fences with unlimited parts by finishing the fence then cloning over it and changing pieces and sizes.

Joe

wood333 likes this.
  26. camel82106

camel82106

Hi,
    I would like to create wall that's looking like this:

Do you think it's possible to do it with auto fence builder. For example may it be possible to create something like this from bunch of rock prefabs? Any hint for right direction to take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter

27. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi Peter,

It's not pretty, but here's a quick example and screenshot of how you could do it (I just downloaded some random rocks off the Asset Store). I left some posts showing so you could see where I clicked, and where each section begins/ends. At the back of the image, left, is the source group of rocks, and right is the combined object.

1. Assemble your rocks in to your wall. Make sure you align them so the length of the wall is along the X-axis - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as the way Unity treats rotations of child objects under a parent can be very counter-intuitive.
    (You can't correct this after, because the scalings will be on the wrong axis)
    2. Group your wall under a parent object. Don't apply any rotations, scaling to the parent.
    3. Using the AFWB 'User Custom Object Combine Tool' convert your wall group in to a single new GameObject. (There are instructions in a ReadMe, but basically just add the tool to your hierarchy, then drag the wall group in to the slot of the tool), rename it, e.g. RockWallCombined
    4. Back in AFWB, drag RockWallCombined in to the Custom Object Import slot within 'Rail/Wall Options'
    5. You may need to adjust the Rail A Size (depending on your source material), as AFWB expects a certain proportioned object. In this example I had to increase the Z size by x3

Joe

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 10.32.19.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    camel82106 and julianr like this.
  28. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Can I use to place along a line a CUSTOM PREFAB, instead of a parametrical fence?
    My prefab has its own scripts, trigger collider etc.

if yes, After placement they still be prefabs or prefab nature is lost?

29. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I'm gonna expect previous question have a yes answer :D

What happens if the fences have a chanfer zone like its the corner of a street, if the prefab fence does not fit, could another (shorter) fence prefab be used? (preset). Could that new prefab be scalled automatically (longitudinal) so it feets the required lenght?.

30. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

And as a future request.
    Could the spline points be loaded from a txt file? I use CAD software for building my worlds and I've like a separate file for fences and I could export txt with all the coords of the points of each line.

31. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Sorry, prefabs will usually lose their script when used as a custom mesh for the fence - this is because the rail/wall parts are rebuilt procedurally (sheared multiple times) to suit the shape of the terrain i.e. they are just copies based on your mesh. Having said that, if you want to send a copy of your prefab, I can test it and see if it there's anything in your script that would prevent it from being re-attached to the copies

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your second point, all fence parts are scaled automatically to fit the layout of your fence including corners, so you never need to use another shorter version. If you _want_ to substitute another fence in a particular section, yes you can. You do this by deleting the finished section, then cloning the fence for that section with a new prefab, and deleting the inverse selection.

Yes, a text file could supply the coords. Contact support if you'd like a script to do this.

Joe

32. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Thanks, your tool looks epic, with the procedural generation. Its not for me if I lost the prefat nature cause I need them to be breackable etc. I need them to retain its prefab nature to keep the drawcall under control as I do now breack the fences in teh engine and that generates a lot of drawcalls. For now I won´t mess you and Ii'll try to find a solution more specific to my needs.

33. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Thanks for the feedback :)

34. julianr

julianr

You could just finish and merge the meshes, so they are not using the fence scripts and then run them through as breakable objects using another asset.

Two_Click_Tools likes this.
  35. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

Hey there! Thanks for this fantastic tool I have purchased it years ago and am still proud user of it. Currently, I'm trying to optimize my scene with lightmaps. I was wondering if the objects generated by this tool can be lightmapped?

36. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hey OnurYIL, thanks for the kind words. Yes, all the meshes have an extra set of UVs for lightmapping, so you shouldn’t have any problem. (If you do come across one that looks wrong, let me know, there’s hundreds of meshes, so it’s not impossible that one was exported incorrectly)

Joe

37. ModSimTeam

ModSimTeam

Hi, We've developed a tool that loads in Unity Asset Bundles as a terrain. I'm running into a few problems exporting an asset bundle with an Auto Fence Builder fence. I'm trying figure out the best approach. Here are my steps for creating a fence and exporting an asset bundle:

1. Create Unity terrain.
    2. Create a fence using Auto Fence Builder on the terrain (Using the Barbed and Grilled preset).
    3. I click the, "Unload Unused Assets" button.
    4. I move the, "Current Fences Folder" under the terrain game object as a child (So it can be include into the asset build and bundle export).
    5. I export the terrain as an asset bundle using Unity's free Asset Bundle Browser (on the asset store).
    6. I load terrain using our tool as an asset bundle.
    Every thing seems to be fine except only the poles came in. I don't see any rails. I checked the seen to see if the reference was there in the Hierarchy and it is except that that it can't find the reference to the DiamondRail mesh. When I click to browse for the mesh, it is nowhere to be found. I assume it's in memory and not actually in the editor which is fine because the poles work fin, it's just the rails that don't. Below are the screen captures. Thanks for your help.

In the editor:

Loaded in our tool:

Inspector in our tool (None in the Mesh Filter):

38. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi, sorry for the slow reply, I’m away for the weekend, so will look into this first thing Monday.

Cheers

Joe

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  39. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi VistaT3am

This behaviour stems from the fact that, as you summised, the meshes for the rails are only in memory at this point, this is because the meshes have to be procedurally generated to suit the shape of the terrain, specifically, copies are created which are sheared versions of the main mesh. You can see this in the screenshot below showing both Slope Mode set to 'sheared' or 'normal'.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 12.33.17.jpg

So, to force them to rebuild as a mesh in your Assets folder, first you need to 'Finish & Start New', then on the resulting "Finished AutoFence" Folder in your Hierarchy, select "Create Merged-Mesh Copy" in the Inspector.
    If you now look in your Assets folder within the Auto Fence Builder/UserGeneratedRailMeshes, you'll find the resulting Merged meshes, typically named "Rails Merged 0" etc. Your main fence in the Hierarchy will now be called something like "...Merged Mesh Copy"

In your Hierarchy now, you'll need to disable/delete the pre-merged duplicate, typically named "Finished AutoFence".
    (The Current Fences Folder should now be empty once you've done a 'Finish & Start New')

With all meshes now created you should be able to build your Asset Bundle OK.

Cheers

Joe

40. ModSimTeam

ModSimTeam

This worked great. Thank you for the fast reply! This is an awesome tool!!

41. funselektor

funselektor

42. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi Little_Gorilla

I took a look at your links (I don't have that package), so it seems from those, and your description, that given a set of points, you can define a line with width, which will act as a mask? Do you need just the click points, or the points of every post? Could you reply in an email to support, as I think we'll need to exchange some code. Until we've figured this out I'm not sure if it's something that would be good for the main release of AFWB, or just an add on script.

Cheers

Joe

43. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

It should be an easy setup. The script can add a VegetationMaskLine code to the root of the fence and feed it the fence points in a list or array of vector3 in worldspace. You then set a width call a refresh and it modifies vegetation automatic.

Lennart

funselektor and Two_Click_Tools like this.
  44. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hey Lennart, thanks for the info, it should work well.

45. funselektor

funselektor

Cool. Yeah I think we're on the same page Joe, I'll send you an email and we can figure this out!

46. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Hi there & thanks for this great tool!

I would love to have a setting where I can delete all the prefabs that comes with the tool and start out with a "fresh" copy where I only use my own prefabs and models. Right now, I really don`t need 95% of the prefabs, meshes and materials that comes with the tool and it seems deleting prefabs somehow messes up everything, making the tool itself unusable. Is this something that could be implemented soon`ish?

I know that you can delete preset files, but I would still have to keep all the assets that I don`t use in the "background".

Cheers!

47. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi, thanks for the comments.

Can you email the support address, there may be a temporary way we can help you with this. What’s the main motivation, import time, or something else?

Cheers

Joe

48. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi guy I am a beginner in unity and I wanted to ask you why when I place a fence my cars pass through us. Should not it already be arranged with a collider? thank you

49. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi,

Have you checked you have Colliders switched on in the Settings window? Usually just rail box-colliders will be enough, unless you have a fence made only of posts.

Colliders.png

Cheers

Joe

50. Silveralby

Silveralby

Ops, I do not have the setting, maybe I installed the asset badly?
    Cattura.JPG