Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Fence Builder [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Two_Click_Tools, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Awesome screenshot... Makes you wish you could drop in and explore ;)

2. julianr

julianr

Thanks! That's just one area that we use the fences on, pretty much used everywhere. In fact it's one of the mostly used asset packs in our game, being an open world.. :) Ideal for keeping people in contained areas, no short-cuts.. increases the playing time!

3. gurayg

gurayg

Hello Two click tools,

I know that the new update is very close.
    I was wondering if you've already submitted it (are we waiting for the Asset Store)
    or will you be submitting it in following days.

If I'll be waiting another week, is it possible to send you my invoice number and get the update before it hits the store?

Thanks for the update and all your time.
    Have a nice day.

4. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Yes, it's been submitted to the asset store.
    By all means. Anyone who would like a direct download, please email your Unity Invoice to the support address.

Thanks

Joe

5. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

6. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

v2.0 has been in the queue for nearly a week now, so hopefully it will appear very soon.

It's a major change from v1, so here's some notes on updating:

• Please test initially in a new empty project.

• Please backup any project existing you're going to add AFB to.

• If you have any live fence in progress, do a 'Finish' on it, and then remove AFB from the hierarchy before importing the update. Everything has been updated, scripts, prefabs, meshes and textures. We've done our best to maintain compatibility with v1, but occasionally Unity loses the .meta links when updating.

• To be extra safe, (if you intend to merge v2 into a v1 project), before importing v2 create prefabs from your finished fences:

- Do a 'Create Merged-Mesh Copy' on each Finished fence folder
    - Drag this Merged-Mesh Copy into the Assets folder to make a prefab
    - (optional) export all these prefabs as a .unitypackage

• If you do end up merging v2 in to a v1 project with a live fence (not recommended), you will probably see that Auto Fence Builder in the hierarchy has lost its link to the script. If this happens, add the AutoFenceCreator script back on to the AutoFenceBuilder. Make some small change in AFB, and it should rebuild.

Finally, if you have any custom prefabs you've made in the 'Fence Prefabs' folder, export these as a .unitypackage. The folders *should* safely merge, but, where Unity is concerned, importing a package over an existing one can sometimes have unexpected results , so better to be safe.

julianr likes this.
  7. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Auto Fence Builder v2.0 Update is now available on the Asset Store

Requires 5.2.x +
    I made the silly mistake of submitting it with Unity 5.3. (Asset Store now assumes the version you were using at the time of submission is the minimum requirement.)
    If you're using 5.2, you can install 5.3 to download it, then switch back. Next week's update will be submitted with/for 5.2. Or if that's a hassle, contact us for a direct download link.

Please read the release notes above!

-------------

V2.1 Will be submitted at the end of this week with two major feature updates:
    • Drag&Drop any GameObject in to the Inspector to use as Post or Rail. (...At last!!)
    • New Component Type 'Extras'. This can be any supplementary type of object and will be repeated anywhere on the fence with all the usual options.

Contact us for a 2.1 beta.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  8. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Auto Fence Builder v2.1 Update is now available on the Asset Store [ Requires Unity 5.2 + ]

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23201

New Features:

• Custom User Objects

Any GameObject can now be Drag&Dropped into the Inspector to use as a post, rail, wall, sub-post or extra.
    Anything you create will then be available as a preset component in any of the dropdown parts menus.
    They're not simply spawned at the correct location, but become an integral, editable part of the design system.

• Combine Tool
    A tool is provided to combine complex grouped objects into a single mesh. You can also use complex objects directly as custom components, though it's more efficient for Unity to work with combined meshes.

• Extras
    There's a new category of parts called Extras to complement Posts, Rails/Walls, and Subposts. You can use these for any purpose e.g to add more detail to a fence/wall design, or to use as an object placement tool such as placing lampposts or penguins in specific places alongside your fence or wall.

• Randomize
    You can now randomly omit any components. Works great on broken fences where every section appears different. The random seed is now saved as part of the preset.

• Lots of other small improvements
    •Subposts can be aligned with main posts to act as a secondary detail or design.
    •Improved fake mitering of wall ends - even custom objects will be jiggled to hide joints where there are no posts.
    •Fences can be wound in reverse order (click-sequence is reversed). Everything will face 180 the opposite way.
    •Beta - Auto-rotation of User objects to adapt to use as rail/wall/post.
    •Lots of new fence & wall prefabs, along with some demo 'Extra' prefabs, e.g. lampposts, tyre-walls, direction-signs.

As ever, if you find any gremlins, or think a feature can be improved, contact us at the support address.

We'll post videos in the coming days to cover the new features in detail.

Thanks

Joe
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Blah blah boring...
    Backup your Project Folder if you intend to overwrite a project currently using Auto Fence Builder.
    Contains major code and asset changes, not suitable for overwriting a 'live' Auto Fence scene in progress. "Finish &Start New" to bake your Fence if you have one in progress. Remove Auto Fence Builder from the hierarchy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    julianr, RobertMead666 and gurayg like this.
  9. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Issue affecting AFB 2.1 & Unity 5.2: Missing normal maps on some prefabs

If you're using a pre-5.3 version of Unity, you might have an issue where some of the prefabs look flat and dull and are missing their normal maps, even though they're present on the material. This is an issue with tangents not being calculated on some .fbx meshes.

A fixed update has been submitted to the store, but a workaround in the meantime:

•In your Assets folder, navigate to Auto Fence Builder/Meshes
    •In the Meshes folder Select-All meshes (Cntrl/cmd A), then deselect the 4 folders (cntrl/cmd click each folder)
    •In the Asset Import window in the Inspector, find the 'Tangents' drop-down menu and select 'Calculate' and then the 'Apply' button.

All presets should now look correct.
    (The Asset Import window will only appear after a few seconds once you have deselected all the folders)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    julianr likes this.
  10. julianr

julianr

Looking good :) Loving the New update, but have not had much time to really get into it, but I'll post some screenshots as soon as I'm done with my current task list.

11. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Thanks, look forward to it. In your open world game you can use it as a quick object-placement tool now as well, not just fences and walls.

julianr likes this.
  12. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Stepping through some of the presets in Auto Fence & Wall Builder 2.1. First an overview, then close-up. (No Audio)

(06.39)

Tutorials to follow...

13. julianr

julianr

Seriously awesome amount of presets there. I can see quite a few that I'd use in my game.

14. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hopefully theres plenty of starting-off points there for further customisation.

15. julianr

julianr

yes, for sure. I'll be adding a race track also at some point so there are plenty of options there for it, and a prison.

16. julianr

julianr

It will be interesting when I add damage states to the fences/walls/barriers. Hopefully I'll be able to drive some cars through the wooden fences, it should be fairly easy to modify some of the sub sections and sub posts.

17. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Funny you should say about damage states. In the next update there'll be 'Variation Groups'. For any component such as wall, post etc, you'll be able to set a link to a group of related Game Objects, then have those models swap, either at regular intervals or randomly so that every repeated section can have any amount of variation.
    But these could also hold damage states and be swapped out at runtime via a script. Should be easy to tag your cars and set which objects are allowed to swap-out parts. (But I appreciate you might also be doing real dynamic damage as well in your project!)

Ideal for things like prisons you mentioned, and with 'Extras' you can set them as things like gatehouses or lookout posts to appear at any interval.
    One tip for anyone doing things like castles and prisons is to do multiple passes with AFB using 'Finish & Duplicate'.
    For example, make the main castle/prison outline, with walls, turrets (as Posts), wall-supports(as Subposts), gatehouses(as Extras).
    Then do a 'Finish & Duplicate'. Now you can swap out parts in the new build, e.g. switch off Walls & Posts, assign out-buildings to Extras and Subposts. These will of course align perfectly with the previous build, while giving the option to space them at different intervals and offsets/rotations from the main build.

hopeful likes this.
  18. julianr

julianr

Sounds good. I while back I had an artist design 3 crash barrier states for straight and curved corners for the previous game engine I worked on, but may move them over to Unity, however I've been quite happy with AFB. I still need to work out a damage system that works off projectile damage amount, the mass of a vehicle or mass of an object. For example; if a part of a building is damaged and debris is created from that damage, the debris needs to have a knock on effect if it damages another building on the way down. Its a lot of work, but I think it can be done without too much overhead. Fences, walls and street lighting all need damage states too, as well as tiled paths and roads. I deliberately place roads and paths above terrain level so that they can take damage and reveal pipe work underneath if required. You could probably make a road tool from AFB clone for tiled roads and paths based on meshes with LOD, with side objects such as paths/pavements, dropped curves, slopes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Two_Click_Tools likes this.
  19. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

I wonder what would happen if that debris effect started a chain reaction... in principle it could go many levels deep. But I guess if all your models have extra damage states, the actual processing is quite light.
    Road tool :)

20. julianr

julianr

Road Tool would save a lot of time on pre-tiled meshes. I've used another package in the store, but its way beyond ready and performance took a big hit in the editor. Best to keep it easy and not over complicate things with the tool too much.. all you need is squares, maybe some curved corner options with/without walkway, dropped curb/slope options, decals for junctions and later you could extend it, adding bridges/motorways/roundabouts. Sizing options and repositioning while keeping them snapped together. This tool would have saved me weeks worth of work. Just an option if you plan on creating a suite of products :) but that other tool we mentioned is more important! lol

On the chain reaction with buildings - I guess a constraint could be added so if it reached a certain amount, don't destroy any further parts, maybe just add a damage decal instead.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  21. RobertMead666

RobertMead666

Just playing with the 2.1 update, found a new trick. Designed a single section of fence (post-wall-post) , then turned it in to a single object with the combine tool. Then cleared the fence design, and imported the new one as a single wall panel, freeing up all the other parts again.
    When I use it in a new fence the rotation looks slightly off, and ideas?

22. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

When you bake the fence using the CustomObjectCombine tool, make sure your section is straight in your scene, e.g. either along the x-axis or z-axis. The easiest way to do this is enable 'Snap' when you position the markers.
    AFB will automatically adjust 90 degree rotations to suit the fence or wall, but not minor rotations as that could be the intended shape of you baked objects anyway.

BTW, you can also use that on the Current Fence Folder, or any of the contents if you wanted to quickly grab a single-mesh copy of any of it, it won't affect the fence in progress.

julianr likes this.
  23. disny1234

disny1234

hi TCT
    i want to buy this tool but first want to know something.
    i want to know that, the fences can collide or not, and if colliding than what collider you are using,
    In my case i want to use box collider with trigger option.
    if this is possible pls let me know as soon as.

thank you

24. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi disny1234

Yes, there is an option to add Box colliders, one collider is added for each section of fence/wall. There are also controls to scale the Box colliders and move their position.
    (There is also an option to use mesh colliders instead if you are using your own custom meshes)
    By default, they are normal box colliders, not triggers, but when you've made the fence, it's very easy to select all the 'Rails' in the hierarchy and select 'Is Trigger' in the normal Unity way.

Thanks

Joe

25. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

There is a strange issue on the Asset Store that has caused some people using Unity 5.3.x to be served Auto Fence & Wall Builder version 2.0 instead of the current version, 2.1.1.
    It seems to have affected Windows 7 users, but to check, you can see your version either in the Downloads tab, or the version history text file in the package.

It should be fixed on the store soon, but if this affects you and you need the current version ASAP, you can either download it using Unity 5.2.x, or contact us for a direct download link.

Thanks

Joe

julianr likes this.
  26. lewisboadle

lewisboadle

Hi Joe,

We are experimenting with your tool. It seems excellent and very straightforward to use! If only more developers took your approach to usability!

One of our requirements is that our fences be breakable, and we are using a custom script for this (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3075).

Do you know if it is possible to retain the breakability of fences we lay out using your tool?

Thanks,

Lewis

27. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi Lewis,

I'll take a look at that now and get back to you soon.

Joe

28. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi Lewis

In principle this could work, the reason it's not working as it is seems to be because the asset has its colliders on a parent game object, rather than the model object containing the mesh (There's nothing wrong with doing that of course, but AFWB expects the collider to be on the model/mesh, so as to work with the majority of users' models)
    In this case you can see Mesh Collider on 'Breakable Fence Prefab' rather than 'fenceSurface' which is the model mesh itself.

fence.jpg

I can try copying the collider back on to the mesh object, but I'm guessing it's there for a reason, and the breakage script propbably expects it there.

Sorry there isn't a simple quick way to implement this, but if you drop us a line at the support email address, I can contact you if I find a workaround.

Joe

29. julianr

julianr

30. lewisboadle

lewisboadle

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I'll drop you an email and see what we can figure out.

Hi Julian. We would certainly use an extension such as the one you linked to if Joe indicated that he thought it might work.

31. julianr

julianr

This weekend I will see if it does work and provide a video if it does

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  32. lewisboadle

lewisboadle

Very kind! Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

julianr likes this.
  33. julianr

julianr

No problem. Its on my list of things to do. Better late than never :)

34. julianr

julianr

Not forgot about you :) Had a few issues with my current project - but I'll be looking at this over this weekend as a priority :)

35. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Will this work during run time, or is it in editor only?

36. Theekshana-A

Theekshana-A

Pretty sure, it's editor only but I was wondering the same thing.

37. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I'm looking for an extension that will help me build walls and fences in game. This does look useful tho

38. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

Hey this asset is tremendous.

There were a couple issues that prevented it from building, however. Three scripts in the scripts folder need to be put in the editor folder (SettingsWindow, FinishWindow and one other I'm forgetting). They use UnityEditor and it won't build without putting them in the editor folder.

Similarly, the utility script CleanUpUserMeshAFB has using UnityEditor but it doesn't need it. Commenting that line out let it build.

Thanks for a great asset!

39. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

One more thing -- I noticed after adding Auto Fence Builder to my project that my builds tripled in size. Upon looking at the Editor logs I'm seeing that *all* of the Auto Fence materials and objects are being added to my build, even though I'm only using fences of a single variety.

Do you have a recommendation for stripping the unused assets from my build? Obviously they must be referenced in my scene somehow by the Finished Fences. Now that the fences are finished, can I safely delete the attached Auto Fence scripts that I'm assuming have references to everything in the auto fence library?

Thank you.

-- edit --

I clicked on 'merge objects' on the finished fences (and deleted the originals) thinking this would unlink the Fence Builder assets -- but no joy. All the Fence Builder assets are still being built with my project including all textures and meshes. Please help!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  40. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Apologies for the late reply, we'd stopped receiving forum notifications, until Sebastian above posted, for some reason.
    It doesn't have runtime functionality at the moment, but it's an easy mod, and we can provide a demo project showing how it's done. (It's only a few lines of code need adding/changing)

41. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

A fix will be submitted for the problems mentioned above in the next couple of days. If this affects anyone in the meantime, please contact support for a temporary workaround.

Thanks

Joe

42. hokuni92

hokuni92

I want to put the drooped rope to Rail. Is it possible? If function doesn't exist, can you add function?

43. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Hi, there is one example included that uses a drooping rope:

rope.jpg

(It's called RedRopeAndChrome_Rail)
    It's easy to change texture on the material for a different kind of rope. If you want to upload a picture, I can do it for you.

Joe

(If you mean a realtime physics-simulation of drooping, then no it's not possible)

julianr likes this.
  44. julianr

julianr

Nice! Need something like that for a night club in my game :) Rope physics would be awesome if you could add that at some point. It would also make it easy to snap by having a link or two.

45. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Thanks, yep, good for nightclubs, museums, art galleries etc. Rope physics would be good for general pylon cables too.

julianr likes this.
  46. julianr

julianr

Ragdoll physics work great with the fences collision by the way.. I've run up to a crash barrier and fallen over it. Some packs I have to turn the player collision off as they get stuck, but its just right with how its all setup by default.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  47. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Don't you just hate it when developers make excuses... :)

A direct dropbox link is available from us for the new v2.2. This is particularly important for users having Build issues in v2.1.1 which have all been fixed, along with various minor improvements.
    Please contact us at the support address for the download link.

<Rant>
    We've had big problems getting the AFWB v2.2 submitted to the store. This is partially a problem of the Unity Package Uploader just randomly failing sometimes, not often, maybe once every 4 hours of use (so you'd never see this bug with regular uploads ) but combine that with a typical crappy UK internet speed which takes 6 hours to upload the 1.5Gb update, and we're hitting this bug virtually every time. It's 44% there on today's attempt, so we live in hope.
    Interestingly, just spoke to a dev in the wilds of northern Norway who has 1000Mbits, and could upload it in under a minute. That's it. I'm moving to the top of a mountain in Norway. </Rant>

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    hopeful and julianr like this.
  48. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

"I've run up to a crash barrier and fallen over it."

Drink less beer? ;)

Thanks, good to know. There's one Box Collider per section by default, but if you use your own complex custom meshes, you can use their Mesh Colliders instead.

julianr likes this.
  49. julianr

julianr

mmm beer.. mmm doughnuts ... I've tried to make things as realistic as possible with physics, well in a sci-fi game :) so if you run into something then its going to hurt :) Yet to make things break with fences, but I'll get on that soon now I have player collisions out of the way. Wire based fences I'll probably make it so that circular chunks can be ripped out from them.

50. Two_Click_Tools

Two_Click_Tools

Yes, definitely interested in the breaking thing. But after talking to Lewis about this as well , I think it has to be something that is done after the fence is Finished and Merged, so it's now just dumb GameObjects and meshes. At that point a separate tool (supplied with AFWB) could scan through all the fence parts and add your 3rd party breakage scripts, or add them as targets, however they work.
    I'm fairly certain these things won't work while the fence is still in its procedural state, as the objects are created and destroyed dynamically.

The broadband gods have smiled, and a mere 7 hours after pressing Submit, the package has dribbled its way to Sweden ready to be approved, narrowly beating a USB stick on a donkey that was my backup plan.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    julianr likes this.