Search Unity

Auto exposure in URP

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by andywatts, Apr 20, 2020.

1. andywatts

andywatts

Manual says...
    • Compute-based effects by default, including Auto-exposure, Ambient Occlusion (MSVO) and Debug Monitors. You can use these effects in UniversalRP, but only if your target hardware supports Compute Shaders. If your target hardware does not support compute shaders, Unity disables the post-processing effect at run time.
    How do I get auto-exposure enabled for URP 9.0 targetting win10 and Oculus Quest?
    TIA

2. fangjunzhou02

fangjunzhou02

I'm looking for it, too!!!! Pls tell me if u find the solution!!!!

3. rtknapp28

rtknapp28

Same here! Developing for Rift S and would love this feature to be available in URP.

4. fangjunzhou02

fangjunzhou02

I've see the document written by Unity, it says that there will be no more auto-exposure in URP

5. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

How can this be? Full feature set was promised until 2021. On which statements can we rely?

6. izym

izym

Unity Technologies

I know it's not quite the same, but would it work for your case to setup post processing volumes for e.g. indoor/outdoor with different color adjustment settings?

AlejMC likes this.
  7. AlejMC

AlejMC

That does work for a lot of cases and honestly 99% of games out there... we are either in a dark place or a bright place.
    However anything more intricate, an FPS where you can look through a window to the sunny outside then that's where it shines.

Maybe an example somewhere using RenderPassFeature post process pipeline? I think that maybe for URP it doesn't have to be that crazy for now, just a downscaler pretty much like what bloom does and and have that texture as the value input for the next... however that would be 'instant' exposure.

If that can be extracted to CPU side then we can smooth control those values overtime.

On a side note, I actually have a hard time how to make render target persistent using the supplied CommandBuffers API.

Salvador-Romero likes this.
  8. moatdd

moatdd

...Still no Auto Exposure in 2022 for URP, however, I was able to use the Beautify (paid asset) to achieve this.

Symmetron and MP-ul like this.
  9. rgi92

rgi92

Features for URP which were decades ago implemented in different engines even in Unity are all scattered across its Asset Store. URP is at stable version 13 and still missing lots of stuff that every visual artist is in need.
    This is dramatic how Unity team relying on income of Assets by third parties instead of implementing their own versions. Developers already being stuck with paying for game assets ridiculous amount of cash, and still, need to pay more for fundamentally basic things like Auto Exposure which I, personally, been using since Unreal 3 over a decade ago.

Junior_Djjr, moatdd and Symmetron like this.
  10. moatdd

moatdd

OccaSoftware likes this.
  11. OccaSoftware

OccaSoftware

Came here to say this :) Since Auto Exposure isn't available in URP, I've created Auto Exposure for URP. The asset supports progressive or instant exposure adaptation, offers exposure curve management, and is fully integrated with URP's Volume Component System, so it feels like a built-in part of the pipeline.

Fingers crossed for Unity to develop an in-house solution one day. In the meantime - hope this will suffice :)

I appreciate your support moatdd!

illustor and Meceka like this.