Search Unity

authoritative fps mouse input

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by joshua-jebadurai, Jul 22, 2010.

1. joshua-jebadurai

joshua-jebadurai

I'm making an authoritative multiplayer fps, it works fine when sending just the "horizontal" and "vertical" a.k.a keypress inputs. The problem occurs when sending mouse inputs to the server because it works based on mouse sensitivity..the server acts completely different from client side, so the prediction gets really screwed up.

anyone have a work around for this problem ? I kinda solved it but still there is bit of lag.[/code]

2. joshua-jebadurai

joshua-jebadurai

Don't worry about it, I have solved it. I'll post a full authoritative fps soon. Thank you. :D

3. Drippy

Drippy

Sorry for commenting on an such an old thread, but I have the same problem and was wondering if you still had that script code laying around.

4. Alabatross

Alabatross

Just curious, but why would you make mouse looking authoritative? Aimbots exploiting lookat on clientside?

5. Drippy

Drippy

Since I'm using an authoritative multiplayer game (more of a simulation), a player can't rotate/move his character client-side and must ask the server to do it for him. I attach this script to the parent object of a player's character and set it so the player would be able to rotate his character horizontally. I do the same with a child object that has the camera component and set it to only work in y-axis, but this one doesn't necessarily need to be authoritative (as it wont affect anything).

6. Alabatross

Alabatross

Yea it seems like it would just use up memory