Search Unity

Question Authentication really necessary?

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by MiTschMR, Sep 3, 2022.

1. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

According to the documentation, the authentication package and a valid UGS sign in (i.e. anonymously) is required in order to be able to use remote configuration. However, in my tests I was able to fetch the values even though I was not signed in with any account. I simply initialized the UGS services and then started fetching the values, getting the published ones.

My question now is, is authentication only required if you use game overrides? Because apparently you can’t generally say that it is required if you can fetch the values without being signed in…

2. Julian-Unity3D

Julian-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

Simply put: Game Overrides wont reliably work if you aren't using Authentication.

Authentication is a dependency in recent packages. What this does is it makes sure you will always get the same a/b test and audience for the same player. In the older packages it is not a dependency, there we will use a different ID for A/B test persistency which means you might get a slightly disjointed experience if, for example, you play on multiple devices.

MiTschMR likes this.
  3. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

So it’s only necessary for certain features that don’t need to be used? Let’s say I don’t use Game Overrides, then I don’t need to set authentication up?

4. Julian-Unity3D

Julian-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

In your use case, yes, however I would recommend you have Authentication as it is seen as a dependency.

MiTschMR likes this.