Search Unity

Authentication for private NPM registry support

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by giacomohomunculus, Feb 7, 2020.

1. giacomohomunculus

giacomohomunculus

Hello,

Some posts mention support for authentication for private NPM registries in Unity 2020.1.

I read the release notes and didn't see anything regarding this.

Any official word?

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @giacomohomunculus,

The first iteration of the feature landed in 2020.1.0a17. We did not add the feature to the release notes or advertise it in any way because a major flaw was discovered. A fix was implemented and is now in the queue to be merged. Expect the final feature to land (and listed in the release notes) in one of the next 20.1 beta releases (and proper documentation to land later).

Regards,

Pascal

Favo-Yang likes this.
  3. giacomohomunculus

giacomohomunculus

Pascal,

Thanks for the reply.
    Since the docs don't cover it, where would auth credentials be specified? I would like to use the package manager with a TFS auth token.

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

There will be a new, user-level, Package Manager configuration file (typically located at ~/.upmconfig.toml). In there, you'll configure the auth token for every registry URLs that you are using.

What is a TFS auth token?

5. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

TFS = Team Foundation Server?

6. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Oh, and this will (sadly) be all manual in this first proposal. But, we want to expose a UI to login/logout to these registries without you having to go through fetching the auth token manually...via npm cli for example). This UI will come later this year. We did not want to wait and prevent user from using this feature while we work on the the UI. The feature is one of the topmost requested feature . We hope it will unblock people even if this is a bit a bare bone implementation!

7. giacomohomunculus

giacomohomunculus

TFS is the old version of Azure DevOps Server.. That's what my organization has for deploying NPM packages.

I just installed the latest version of 2020.1 and it doesn't appear to have created a ~/.upmconfig.toml (Windows 10 machine). Would this file be anywhere else and do you have any literature on the contents of this file (I realize this feature isn't officially released).

Thanks

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

As I said:

The change is in the queue now. Give it a couple of weeks before it is available. What I explained to you is the new and improved implementation. The first attempt did not expect the configuration at that location (that was part of the bug ;)).

Also, the file won't be created automatically for you. You'll have to create it yourself. This is what I was trying to say here:

I'll try to remember to come back here and let you know when the feature has landed. If not, reply here :)

Pascal

9. capyvara

capyvara

There are plans to backport it to Unity 2018?

10. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Let me verify...

11. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

No. There is no plan to backport to 18.4 at the moment. May I suggest contacting your account manager, if you have one, to request this feature to be backported.

Sorry!

Pascal

samuelb_unity likes this.
  12. capyvara

capyvara

Sure, I'll check with him, thanks

unityunity