Search Unity

Augmented reality with Unity3d

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cray, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cray

cray

Hi,

I am interested in learning more about augmented reality.
    I have found some threads about that topic on the forums, but it was more about the technical aspect than I expected.

So if you have 2 minutes to help, here are my questions :

1. Is the video below possible to achieve in Unity3D?

or

2. Is Unity3d best suited for that kind of use or what other application should I look at?

3. How would I learn about augmented reality and graduate from nothing to "above the average augmented reality developer"?
    Which is the common path, which are the best practices and steps to follow?

Any pointers, directions, would greatly help me.

Thank you :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. runner

runner

3. cray

cray

Thank you for the answer.
    I would have other questions :

1. How can I compare the solution UnityAR that is provided on the forum (thread started in 2009 so I don't know if it's still the way to go? and I didn't find the link to download) and the plugins available in the asset store (I found Qualcomm AR only)?
    Except reviews in the store, can some users give me some testimonials about real use?

Metaio Glue? Metaio Unifeye? Qualcomm Vuforia?

2. Where can I learn more about the the support in Unity 3.5 and are the features limited?

3. Is Unity3d the way to go if someone wants to learn about augmented reality?
    a) What would be the alternative?
    b) What's the advantage of using Unity3d?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  4. runner

runner

It was early of last year i attempted the project also printed out the marker and placed it on the desk, As for RenderTexture this might be a pro only feature. (can't recall )

http://www.weltenbauer-se.com/pages/de/portfolio/unityar << Thanks Guys!

As for other questions it's perhaps better answered by others in the know but you might want to look at other implementations http://opencv.willowgarage.com/documentation/motion_analysis_and_object_tracking.html

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012