Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question Augmented Reality & Geolocation! How to make it work in Unity?!

Discussion in 'AR' started by DonovanDynamics, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonovanDynamics

DonovanDynamics

I am building a game based on high-resolution 3D drone maps. The maps are to scale, geolocated 3D models of real places. For the purpose of this, let's say it's a coin-based platformer. My goal is to allow people to play in the virtual map, which I have set up and working great, as well as at the place itself in real life through AR.

My challenge is that while Unity has great AR support, it's lacking a lot of the features like GPS Geotags to place objects. The hope would be that if there are objects placed on the virtual sidewalk that when you go to that place in real life, it's reasonably placed in the same spot.

I have looked into a few different things

Build from scratch in iOS and lose all the Unity work
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/content_anchors/tracking_geographic_locations_in_ar

Use another unity GPS plugin like Unity AR+GPS Location that seems to have lower precision. Not sure I could align an entire game level based on what I'm seeing in these demos.
    https://docs.unity-ar-gps-location.com/

Or honestly just wait for the update to AR Foundations to enable ARGeoTags?

Has anyone else solved this? All the parts seem to be there, but missing solid integration...

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

3. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

4. holo-comics

holo-comics

Will geo tags /anchors work in a browser webGL app?

5. AliceMUnity

AliceMUnity

Unity Technologies

From the FAQ:

6. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'm going to lock this thread due to it being very old. If you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.