Search Unity

Audio AudioSource with AudioReverbFilter cuts off reverb

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gumboots, Mar 1, 2018.

1. gumboots

gumboots

Hi all,

I have a number of AudioSources with attached AudioReverbFilters. The issue is that once the clip finishes, the reverb cuts off. I assume I could lengthen all of my audio clips to let the reverb play out, but I have quite a large number, and it would be a very time consuming process. (Not to mention add file size etc.)

I can't add reverb to the AudioListener as sound comes from multiple sources for splitscreen, so some sounds need to have reverb while others not.

I'm hoping someone has an alternate solution to this?

Thanks for any help!

2. gumboots

gumboots

A big issue with lengthening all the clips is that it quickly adds to reaching the 32 max voices limit. I assume that with no responses it means this is just the behaviour of reverb filters? Any tips would be really appreciated!

3. r618

r618

You should be able to increase voice limit, at least ( Edit -> Project Settings -> Audio )
    (I've read OP, but have nothing to add to it...)

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I submitted this as a bug report a few months back.

Here's the reply I got :

So, in short, use the Mixer instead.

r618 likes this.
  5. r618

r618

I think I've read this somewhere already
    I would be _very nice_ if replies like these could be somehow included/mentioned in documentation after a case is resolved as 'by design'

AcidArrow likes this.
  6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Agreed.

7. gumboots

gumboots

@AcidArrow I (ridiculously?) had no idea the Mixer and Mixer Groups existed! This solves my issue completely. I can just route to a reverb group instead of applying it per sound effect. That is fantastic, thanks so much for replying!

@r618 I definitely agree. Legacy functionality like audio source filters should get a note in the documentation suggesting changing over to the Mixer. Would have saved me quite a bit of investigation/struggle, hehe.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The mixer is nice and I'm transitioning to stop using filters completely and using the mixer exclusively. But I'm missing the old behaviour a bit too. Sometimes I just want a specific audio source to have a specific effect, that works a specific way. Sure I can make special snapshots and channels, but then I'm cluttering my Mixers for weird one off effects I do somewhere once. So I'm a bit torn.

9. gumboots

gumboots

Though I've only had limited experience thus far, you could use Views to hide rarely-used Groups when viewing things normally? And have a separate View ("Unique Effects") to see your edge-cases. Or even an entirely separate child Mixer that you use just for special effects like that? The system seems really flexible from what I've used so far.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    AcidArrow likes this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Good point, I didn't really look into views yet :)

gumboots likes this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Just an update, the mixer is horrible.

Putting a bunch of effects that are meant for one time use in new audio groups, means you are paying the cost of the effects ALL THE TIME.

And there is no simple (or any at all actually?) way to completely disable them and enable them when needed.

In short it's another horribly designed, undercooked, POS system that Unity made for us, while breaking the previous workflow.

Thanks!

12. SeaSand

SeaSand

Hi AcidArrow,

There might be a way: You can create hierarchies of multiple mixers and let some of them disable themselves (and - hopefully - their effects) when they are not needed - by activating the "Audio Mixer Suspend" checkbox. According to the manual this saves CPU resources (though I haven't tested how much CPU load you can save by doing that).

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AudioMixerInspectors.html
    The manual says:

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Hey, thanks, you are right, I did figure this out some time in the last 6 months and that's how I've been doing it.

I still dislike the mixer a lot and I still think the "new" workflow is worse than the old one for one time use effects and the like.