Search Unity

Audio Audio Tools for Unity Playground

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ctronhjem, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ctronhjem

ctronhjem

Hey peeps!
    Not much of a poster here but get to read a lot from you awesome guys.

If you teach kids or newcomers to unity, or just in general is interested in Unity's new Playground project, I've developed some free tools, and assets to go with it!
    It works with the condition triggers + plus some automatic triggering scripts. It does some basic randomisation of audio, trigger mixer snapshots and a small music container that can change music in musically correct way.
    The idea was to have these features incorporated with the no-coding approach Unity Playground has, and give the possibility for those not strong in coding to also play with audio implementation in Unity : )

I wrote a little article about it here

And feel free to go a find the project on the asset store. If nothing else, for the free audio assets ;)

Cheers! :)

2. st-louis

st-louis

Gotta say, "Thank you" for creating the audio add-on for Unity Playground ... I can't believe it wasn't part of the original asset.

Works very well and made it possible to complete some simple games using nothing but Unity Playground. As an educator, this was a must add-on for teaching entry level game design to Junior High and High School students transitioning from basic game design and storytelling with Scratch visual scripting.

Inspiring linked article. If you don't mind me asking, was it difficult to add your own audio code blocks to Playground? Any chance you could share how you did it so that others like myself can attempt to add to Playground's code library? I can do a bit of coding with C# and am familiar enough with Unity to create simple scripted games, so I'd like to see if I could do something with adding simple animations and such, if it's not too involved. I know that Custom Actions can be scripted and used with Playground, but how do you add your custom scripts (like your audio code blocks) to the list of Playground components for students to quickly and easily click on to use in the Unity Editor (i.e. Add Component > Playground > Audio > Trigger) for visual scripting?

NikH likes this.
  3. ctronhjem

ctronhjem

Sorry just seeing this answer now. Glad it was helpfull!
    It's not super hard to extend unity playground, its all c# scripts and I just derived from some of the bass classes already in the Playground library. Of course one need to understand a bit how classes and stuff works. I'll say though, I'm by no means an experienced developer, mainly an audio person but managed to figure it out.

You can set the triggers to trigger custom methods from any script, so you can basically trigger any method from a script you make. If I remember correctly theres a checkbox you have to check on the trigger component where you can add your own custom script actions. I would have to look at this again to be sure though.
    I just made scripts derived from the base classes because they then show up in the list of objects to be triggered which is more useful for users.
    Feel free to shoot me a message or an email if you need some help :)