Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Spatializer in 2020.2

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by jjejj87, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

Before I go any further, I must admit that I have very limited experience in audio and even less experience in open world audio.

Basically, my current project has the player walking around in an open environment in First person view. Now, I noticed that the standard audiosource/audioclip combination can depict left/right direction very well but have hard time representing front/back direction.

I have tried resonance by installing it in the package manager, but it seems to make very little to no difference.
    What is the standard approach to this audio issue? Any advise is appreciated and welcomed as I am a total noob when it comes to audio spatialization. Thanks!

2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

For me resonance makes a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference.
    So check that you're using i right. It requires tons of setup like resonance components on source and listener, the right spacialization toggle here and there and perhaps in recent package there is an option to chose the transfer function, maybe you head doesn't fall into the average head sample.

3. jjejj87

jjejj87

I get the feeling my setup was not correct. I will give it a try again :)

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

It looks like the package is deprecated and is no longer functional in 2020.2

I can't find further information so I am confused whether it is me who can't figure this out or the actual package not working with 2020.2

Can the devs chime in and provide some guidance?

5. jjejj87

jjejj87

Can someone advise please.

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

they're busy preparing slides for the IPO

jjejj87 likes this.
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is ridiculous though...
    It is 2020 and the 3d engine doesn't have audio spatialization...

Please someone from the dev team, advise. I am looking for any information that can make it work. Thank you.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  8. r618

r618

UT package is deprecated ( I don't know reason for this would like to find out some day, maybe)
    but unity package from google's resonance github should be working without problems - have you tried it ?
    and refer to https://resonance-audio.github.io/resonance-audio/ primarily, not unity documentation

laurentlavigne likes this.
  9. jjejj87

jjejj87

Thanks! It worked! Thank you so much!

r618 likes this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

11. r618

r618

main resonance repo : https://github.com/resonance-audio/resonance-audio : was updated 9 days ago today so no, resonance is hardly abandoned by google
    unity package was not updated for a long time - does that mean that it's abandoned if it works ?
    do you have any practical issues with it ?

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

My issue is if it will still work in 1-2 years on iOS and Android and whatever Unity version we'll be using then.

I understand that even if it was fully supported right now, there still wouldn't be any guarantees, but it being semi abandoned doesn't fill me with confidence either.

For example, here : https://github.com/resonance-audio/resonance-audio-unity-sdk/issues/67 they mention not being able to build for Android 64bit, which we need to do, and they solved it by installing the deprecated resonance unity package, which will be removed from Unity's repository soon, which makes me feel like jumping on board with resonance audio right now might be a bad idea?

13. r618

r618

I personally would be using it without any doubts on standalones right now, but from the looks of it it seems that Google doesn't spend too much effort on their proper Unity support any more - so resonance Unity package supporting desktops (and iOS) only /consoles were out of luck from the get go/ is limiting, no doubt -
    - for those cases probably something like FMOD Studio might make more sense since they're using it directly

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you saying if I use FMOD Studio and use Resonance Audio for FMOD, then it will probably work better (and possibly also for consoles etc / wherever FMOD works normally?)

15. r618

r618

android will definitely work better, you'd have to ask them about consoles - though I suspect that might require supporting them by resonance in the first place

AcidArrow likes this.
  16. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

@AcidArrow So, is Resonance Audio supported by FMOD for Unity on any platform then? Did you get any additional info?
    I'm searching for a spatializer that will work cross-platform and was using Resonance Audio up until now, but I'm worried about compatibility in the future.
    Did you find anything about the subject?
    (DearVR doesn't seem to be compatible with consoles any time soon)

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The FMOD Studio people have taken it upon themselves to port and rebuild Resonance Audio for a variety of platforms, as people request them.

See the thread here : https://qa.fmod.com/t/fmod-studio-resonance-console-support/16185
    They are also very responsive on the forums and they seem to care about their product, so if you want to ask a more specific question, I invite you to join their forums and ask it.

In our case, we ended up not using the resonance plugin (yet? I did find it a bit cumbersome to use), but we did transfer all our audio things to FMOD Studio, which I highly recommend.

Unity's Audio is a badly implemented thin wrapper of an old FMOD version. If you're doing anything slightly more complex than just straight playing audio, then FMOD Studio is a much nicer environment to work with, performance seems better too, a ton more features etc etc. The only thing missing is that Doppler is kinda weirdly implemented in the Unity integration (it requires a rigidbody), but I wrote a script to handle it (plus in Unity everything having doppler all the time by default, is kinda annoying frankly), it's fine.

atomicjoe likes this.