Search Unity

Audio popping on newer Samsung devices

Discussion in 'Android' started by PanicEnsues, Jan 26, 2020.

1. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

I'm having a problem with sound playback on recent Samsung Galaxy devices (S8 and later): Audio clips have a lot of very noticeable pops during playback.

I've created a simple test project that just plays a test tone audio clip, and have determined that:
    • It only happens on Galaxy S8 or higher devices.
    • On the same device, the same audio file sounds fine when played outside of Unity.
    • Bitrate, sample depth, and format of the clip don't appear to matter (I've tried a variety).
    • Sample volume level and playback volume don't appear to matter (I've tried a variety).
    • Mono/stereo, 2D/3D don't have any effect.
    • The pops are unrelated to the clip stopping/starting/looping; you can hear them throughout the clip.
    It's possible that it only happens on SOME devices, e.g. not all S8s, and my test device happens to be one of those devices. Has anyone else run into this?

I've attached the test tone plus a recording of the scene playing on an S8, as well as the test project if anyone is feeling ambitious and wants to try it on their S8, S8+, S9, or S10 device. :)

Thanks,

-Scott

Attached Files:

2. iexistband

iexistband

I'm getting the same popping sounds on my s8. Did you find a fix?

3. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Nope, I've never found a fix or any other info on this. Your reply is the actually the first confirmation that it exists outside my own head. :)

What version of Unity are you on? I'm getting the popping in 2018.3.