Search Unity

Audio Now Toggles Off & Greys Out When Enter Play Mode, Regardless of Project/Scene/Unity Version?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by westingtyler, Aug 25, 2018.

1. westingtyler

westingtyler

Whenever I hit the play mode button to start playing in the editor, the Scene View Audio toggle button toggles off and becomes unclickable. If I exit play mode, I can now toggle it back on, but starting play mode again will toggle it off like a gremlin is screwing with me.

This started happening in my main game project around May 2018. In unity 2018.1.2f1 ish. I've used Unity for four years on this system, dating back to abou 5.1, and have never had this problem before.

I cannot hear audio in play mode no matter what.

It also happens in brand new installations of all succeeding Unity versions.

This happens regardless of what project I have open. Even in brand new empty projects, even in the default scene.

The sound works FINE in builds, just auto-disables in Editor play mode.

This happens regardless of whether there is an Audio listener existing or enabled in the scene.

This happens regardless of whether VR Oculus settings are enabled.

This happens regardless of whether the Oculus Dash is on or off.

Sound works totally fine in all other cases on my computer. Totally normal youtube, games, etc.

I just re-installed Unity 5.0.0f4 to see if this retroactively happens in old versions of Unity as well. It DOES. Now the Scene View Audio toggle auto-toggles off when entering play mode even in Unity 5, even in a new empty project. WTF. What is going on?

This is driving me nuts because it means I can't work on the sound for my game for the past several months. Does anyone have any hints why this would start happening or where to begin looking?

Why would this happen ONLY in the Editor Play mode, and ALWAYS in any Unity version or project, but not in any builds? Again, actual Windows builds of games sound FINE.

Unity 2018.1.2f1 personal. Windows 10 64 bit. 32 gb ram, geforce gtx 970, amd-fx 4130 quad core processor 3.8 ghz

Arder01 likes this.
  2. westingtyler

westingtyler

SOLVED: I can't believe it. In the Game View window, there's a button I couldn't see that says Mute Audio because the window was too small. Apparently it's been toggled on for the last two months. Untoggling it, solved the whole problem. I found the answer in another thread after all this time. Nuts. I'm am surprised this setting was 'saved' across all versions of Unity, but that was apparently it.

3. sbanbury

sbanbury

This was driving me nuts too! Thanks so much for posting the solution! :)

4. Routaz

Routaz

Oh....my....god. This was happening to me too. Was driving me soooo crazy.

5. ghubert_twin

ghubert_twin

i swear this already happened to me in 2017 but here we go again in 2020 :D thanks again !

6. Georg-Axelsson

Georg-Axelsson

Updated an old project to new Unity version and had the same issue. Thanks :)

7. FernandoVeloso

FernandoVeloso

Thanks man, It was very usefull, you dont have Idea

8. Predulus

Predulus

Happening for me in 2020.3. Not fixed by toggling Mute Audio.

Pnvanol likes this.
  9. chaudharidarshan5556

chaudharidarshan5556

mine too,

10. Rudra16

Rudra16

mine too
    mine too

11. Christopher-Anderson-GISP

Christopher-Anderson-GISP

Has anyone reported this issues as a bug yet? I'm using 2020.3.f16 and the issue still exists for me. i can't find any help in making sure the scene's audio toggle won't get disabled every time i enter playmode.

12. rogiedodgie38

rogiedodgie38

I also just faced this problem, surprisingly stumped me, a long time user! Note, both SCENE and PLAY views have mute buttons, which complicates things probably more than necessary...

13. sdebussc

sdebussc

I'm getting this in 2021.2.11f1. The "Mute Audio" button in the game window is not on. Every time I click the "Play" button, the scene's "Toggle audio on or off" button is automatically disabled. This is frustrating. Any idea what is wrong?

14. Breakpoints123

Breakpoints123

Same here

15. winziger

winziger

Thank you so much @westingtyler . Its 11:30pm and I FINALLY can hear sounds

16. davidnibi

davidnibi

2020.3.30f.1 - This does it with mine as well, there's no reason I can see why it's doing it.

17. pur3bl00d

pur3bl00d

Note*: In simulator mode there is no "Mute Audio" so do select "Game" mode in Game window.

18. hive9

hive9

Put simply
    - There is a mute button in the game window.
    -There is a mute button in the Scene window.

If your button is greyed out one or both are muted.

To fix unmute Both.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  19. Vequalsabyt

Vequalsabyt

I had a similar problem with the audio not playing, and was fixed by adding the audio listener component to the main camera.

20. Yahyayldrm

Yahyayldrm

same thing was happening to me, thank you for the solution

21. SirDoggoTheBoyo

SirDoggoTheBoyo

its not working, i tried clicking the mute/unmute in the game tab, did nothing as it was already not turned on, the audio was already set to unmuted yet the in scene audio toggle turns grey after i hit play anyways

DavidZobrist and jar_conquers like this.
  22. McThulhu

McThulhu

2020.3.38f1 Audio toggle in Scene turns off and becomes greyed out on Play. The audio toggle in Play works (I can click/ toggle it on and off) but there is still no sound

23. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

I've been working in the Simulator view the grand majority of the time, and it does not have the mute/unmute button.

After switching back to the Game view, I found that it was set to muted. Thanks for the tip.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Dude..... I was on the cliff.... thanks for saving my life

25. redders2312

redders2312

This was driving me mad too till i saw the Mute/Toggle button in scene view and got to this page. Didn't spot the Game view icon one either!

26. deanthomas634

deanthomas634

For anyone still tryna solve the issue, go into your sound settings on windows, then check if audio output for unity is set to default. If it is, try switching it to another output. I chose headphones realtek and it works fine. Also make sure the audio is toggled on in the game view

27. donotprikel

donotprikel

Mine was out of view because my game view is in a diferent window but now this helped me

28. Jerral23

Jerral23

my audio immediately turns off when I hit play.

DavidZobrist and jar_conquers like this.
  29. donotprikel

donotprikel

Theres an audio toggle in the game windows and the scene window AND makeshure you have an audio listener on objects you want to listen for audio with

30. Apollych

Apollych

Unity 2022.3.16f1 Mac
    audio toggle still grays out on play in Editor window. Audio toggle in Game view turned on

jar_conquers likes this.
  31. mindjive92

mindjive92

you just saved another live in 2024 :) thanks

32. jar_conquers

jar_conquers

unity 2023.1.17f1
    I have unmuted both the game view and in the editor.
    The editor mute toggles to off and is greyed out the moment I hit play, before the game even starts playing.
    Once I stop the game, I can unmute it again, but it just mutes itself when I try again.

RambosRide likes this.
  33. RambosRide

RambosRide

2022.3.7 - suddenly sound stopped working. Both Scene/Game tabs not muted. hit Play - scene tab automagically switches to disabled. and sound has stopped being played although the script is called and you can see on the mixer it is playing.

Someone must have a good fix?

34. TurtleSp3

TurtleSp3

Wheres the button?

35. TurtleSp3

TurtleSp3

they are but it wont work