Search Unity

Audio Not playing in Unity at all. [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tmanallen, Jul 3, 2016.

1. tmanallen

tmanallen

Hello all,
    Question, I am trying to get audio to play and nothing seems to work anymore. I can't get it to play in the editor or even after I do a build for windows, haven't tried a mobile build because the game is intended for standalone, any help is appreciated, I have audio downloaded from the unity store and it plays in windows player with no problem and I have sound coming out of my speakers, but not for unity, I have windows 10 of course, any suggestions?

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Which version of Unity are you using?

3. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Minecraftian14 and tmanallen like this.
  4. tmanallen

tmanallen

CloudyVR likes this.
  5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yeh I asked you which version of Unity you use? so sorry but you not understanding that its to do with Unity versions here.

6. tmanallen

tmanallen

Sorry, I didn't see your reply, it didn't show up when I first replied, 5.3.5f1.

7. tmanallen

tmanallen

So your saying I need to get an updated version of unity, it's not that I didn't understand, I just never saw you questions, my apologies.

Yasuc and MrEsquire like this.
  8. rorywalsh

rorywalsh

I'm using 5.3.5f and I'm not having any issues. What OS are you using? Can you try creating a new project and seeing if audio works in it. This will at least rule out a problem with your project.

9. tmanallen

tmanallen

I have tried that also, still not know what I am doing wrong, I have downloaded the audio from the asset store also to make sure the format was correct. I have windows 10 OS also.

10. rorywalsh

rorywalsh

Same OS as I have. Are sounds playing Ok in other applications?

11. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Do you see any mention of FMOD initialization errors in the Unity Editor.log file? (c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log) If so, does it help changing the sample rate of your sound card?

12. tmanallen

tmanallen

Yes they are, I can run the same sounds on anything else.

13. tmanallen

tmanallen

This is what I have in my editor.log Audio: FMOD Profiler initialized on port 54900

14. tmanallen

tmanallen

Don't know what happened, but for some reason, Unity started out as muted on my desktop. I went to check my mixer and for some reason under unity it said mute, thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

edemszki and BrainSlugs83 like this.
  15. eskivor

eskivor

Edit -> Projects Settings -> Audio -> Check that "Global Volume" is not equal to 0.

Nicolas_Granese likes this.
  16. CNR-EpiTel

CNR-EpiTel

Is there any reason why audio is not streaming at all?
    I am trying to solve it.

It began when I was working with demo scenes, like Weather Manager.
    My games are all daydream.
    I have re-downloaded fresh versions of Unity 2017 LTS and 2018 8,7 and 4.
    All of them have no unity audio.

I am only using standard assets and standard scenes .
    Still nothing.

My drivers are fine.
    This does not make sense.
    Where is the problem source from? How can I fix it?

Attached Files:

17. ninjanosui

ninjanosui

I have the same issue. The audio toggle is getting greyed out as soon as I press play. When I make a build it works as it should.

Avisan, shasaur_unity and joi711 like this.
  18. rolisun

rolisun

I test audio without scripts, just the basic method dragging and dropping audio file, and the audio file (.mp3 or .wav) only in the scene, last unity version, but in play mode, audio cannot be listened, laptop audio is fine, but not at unity. This despite doing the same thing or procedure in several videos or references. I make the same questions: Where is the problem source from? How can I fix it?

steveo98501 and zoystudios like this.
  19. ST_Team

ST_Team

I have the same problem. BUT when I export everything as an *.exe file everything works fine. So for me it seems to be an bug?!?

20. CNR-EpiTel

CNR-EpiTel

Yes, the
    Yes, the export will workfine. It is independent of the historic platform.

21. ArchbaldCortez

ArchbaldCortez

Check you don't have "Mute Audio" enabled:
    upload_2018-10-10_16-40-40.png

22. sgower

sgower

I was scratching my head today wondering why all audio had stopped for me. Turned out,I had clicked on that "Mute Audio" button by mistake. :) Thanks ArchbaldCortez.

23. P_Jong

P_Jong

@ArchbaldCortez thank you! I must have accidently checked "Mute Audio" on the Game window. I don't know when or how I did that today. I must have spent 3 hrs trying to find out what happened. I even pulled my project from backup and it was still muted. But now I realize it was the editor and I must had accidently clicked it while testing my game today. I think a "Mute" editor setting should not be saved when exiting the editor. Really do our TVs stay muted when we restart them? Well now I know and this will be the first thing I check before going to backup and re-installing Oculus Rift and pulling and putting back in HDMI cables. Really 3 hrs was lost today and all I had to do was click "Mute Audio". I feel like I was looking for my glasses and they were on my head the whole time. lol

24. mafole4x

mafole4x

Alternative way,
    1. If tried the options discussed and have not yet got the sound system back,then

2.Another way
    Edit -> Project Settings -> Audio -> System Sample Rate (change it from "0" to "1").
    That's all :)

25. xucian

xucian

This was my issue too.

Why is Mute Audio ticked by default in a new project? Can someone form unity answer?
    Thanks

mhussar and winterkewl like this.
  26. rajvray

rajvray

MrRIU5, P_Jong and winterkewl like this.
  27. fizzd

fizzd

This worked for me, thanks! Setting it back to 0 again afterwards kept it working. Looks like changing the value forced FMOD to refresh something.

EDIT: It happened again, and this fix didn't work anymore. But I finally figured out that it was because my platform was set to Android. Don't know why, but changing back to windows fixed it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  28. isaacgomes0896

isaacgomes0896

Try add the audio listener component. It worked for me

29. hedidev

hedidev

see if "mute audio" in the game window is checked or not , or maybe you didn't set your audio to play in awake in the inspector ,

30. zoystudios

zoystudios

Thanks I Got It

31. ibnerahim1

ibnerahim1

Thanks a lot ArchbaldCortez, I'm really laughing at myself as i was struggling a lot from this for a complete day as i disabled it by mistake and was searching everywhere for the solution but finally got it

32. olonge

olonge

33. ArtemVy

ArtemVy

A half hour was spend on that :confused:
    Thank you! Mute Audio is a devil button, that hides sometimes behind other panels.

34. Zandra808

Zandra808

Hahaa... I had to delete all my unity versions... And I still couldn't see that button was turned on!

wanrclhnyd likes this.
  35. m0m0ney

m0m0ney

LoL, I experienced the same problem, I had to scroll down to see the Volume on button.

Volume_On.png

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  36. steveh2112

steveh2112

i've been debugging a dead audio problem for almost a day and i complete missed that i set mute audio on a different project and when i created my current project, i guess unity somehow remembered it.

37. wanderbox

wanderbox

Thank you! I had added an XR Rig from Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit. It turns out the main camera didn't come with an audio listener.

38. Kagedmonkey40

Kagedmonkey40

OMG! I just had the same problem. Somehow in middle of playing my game (testing) my wrist must have bumped mousepad and clicked that mute. I spent an hour checking my code, another few testing my audio through other applications. Last resort I rebooted machine and restarted Unity...still no audio. Thanks ArchbaldCortez. for posting the "mute button" I was getting serious ticked off!

39. dajohnso

dajohnso

You are brilliant!!!! I did the same thing!

40. Navoan

Navoan

I swear to god, after well over an hour trying to fix this issue... it was a simple mute toggle I had no idea even existed until now. Thank you...

41. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I am fighting with this right now. Mute audio is not checked. I also tried toggling sampling mode in project settings. The bizarre thing is that I have an audio source and audio listener set up the same in one scene and it works. Then in the scene I am currently working on it doesn't work. I am upgrading to 2019.3.13f1 now to see if maybe it is a bug. I was using 2019.3.11f1.

joi711 likes this.
  42. joi711

joi711

I have this issue as well. Mute audio is not checked. I tried toggling sampling mode in project settings but this did not work. Disable unity audio is not checked. There is an audio listener on my camera. But, the toggle audio button still keeps greying out when I click Play. I am using 2019.3.14f1.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  43. kstefanowska

kstefanowska

Same, my AudioManager script from here:
    worked well in Unity 2018.4.10f, but in Unity 2019.3.0f5 it doesn't. Creating manualy some Audio Sources on objects does work properly, but the AudioManager script (even though it creates it's own Audio Source and it seems to work just fine) doesn't give a single sound out, neither in the engine, nor in the build.

44. froilan_dE_dios

froilan_dE_dios

The sound needs to be played in coroutine. Something like this

void Update()
    {
    if (playerCharacter.isSwimming)
    {
    if(canPlaySound)
    {
    canPlaySound = false;
    StartCoroutine(Play_Sound());
    }

}
    else
    {
    audio.Stop();
    }
    }

IEnumerator Play_Sound()
    {
    audio.Play();
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(audio.clip.length);
    canPlaySound = true;
    }

45. dontknowname

dontknowname

Mute audio is not checked. And I can hear other sounds, like hooves for deer. But I can't hear the background music. In addition, after the game starts about 4 mins later, the BGM will suddenly turn on.
    I don't know what's going on. The BGM works well yesterday.
    Where is the problem source from? How can I fix it?
    截屏2020-06-03下午9.48.13.jpg 截屏2020-06-03下午9.51.38.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  46. FLIPAPANCAKE

FLIPAPANCAKE

the reason why your audio is not working is because its muted i had the same issue i checked my Audio source and even if the check box is not set to be muted there is a mute Audio next to your game scene view that will mute it you can simply click the mute audio button to unmute it hope this helps

47. CaptainAk2310

CaptainAk2310

yes, even i tried it right now by creating array and putting it as source to listener and had same problem , did all the solutions mentioned as above & still didnt worked , so tried on single object by putting as source, and it worked. So i guess , script needs a modification of some kind (m new to programming so dnt know, what kind of, till now ) but one thing is sure, unity's audio is working as it worked for diff audio source and same listener.

48. Skitcher86

Skitcher86

I just reset the audio component in the project settings menu and it played all audio. So Edit>ProjectSettings>audio, click the cog wheel on the right side across from audio, and then click reset. it may change any audio presets you have made (not really sure) but, it fixed my problem. Unity - 2019.4.0f1

cre8ivepark and DIEGENDO like this.
  49. dandatron

dandatron

I have a problem of my own, I have recently had sound problems for no reason at all, this is a complaint I have always had with unity(the fact that the software creates its own problems out of the blue) my sound always worked fine, for the 2 years so far that I have been developping my game. But now for some reason not only does it glitch and sound buggy, if it even plays at all. Two different sounds wont play at the same time. I have a boss fight with music and roars froms the boss. Everytime he roars the music cuts off and I hate how that happens. It ruins the effect of the battle. Inside unity there appears to be no visible problem, everything gets ticked on at just the right time but for some reason it s does not work. I have spent years on this game, I wont have it ruined by unity problems please help

50. NeverTrustShadows

NeverTrustShadows

Thanks mate, I really appreciate this obvious solution.

jasonrbrock and Rachan like this.