Search Unity

Audio noise (crackling)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Michele, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Michele

Michele

Hey,

I have read lot of topic about this problem, but I don't know if there is a real solution :cry:...I really hope so...

I'm having trouble with the background sound of my application.

I have different audio source, but I turned off all of them...and now I have only my background audio source and of course only one audio listner...

When I play the application the sound is disturbed and crackling a lot... I tried different formats and files but the problem persists.

I tried to turn off different object of my scena, and I have discover that if I turn off the terrain the audio quality is perfect.
    The draw call are no so high...

Any idea?
    Thanx a lot,
    Michele

Attached Files:

CloudyVR likes this.
  2. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Hi Michele, do you have your audio source attached to the terrain?

if that is the case, maybe that is the problem.. other than that I'm unsure what the problem could be, your draw calls certainly don't seem way out of the ordinary in those screen shots

3. Michele

Michele

Hi Joe,

the audio source is attached to a dedicated Game Object, that contains only the audio source and a script to control the values of the track (volume, Pitch...)

I really don't know where put my hands (This is a typical Italian expression :D)

I have noticed the values of VBO are very different but I don't know what they mean?

However thanx for the suggestion, if you have any other idea is welcome!

4. Jessy

Jessy

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way to do anything about this.

(except using Unity for the iPhone - no crackling there so far that I've observed)

5. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

6. Jessy

Jessy

It seems to be true that the less CPU-intensive your game is, the less it seems to crackle, but it's a pipe dream and not worth your effort to try to lessen the effect. It's going to be there no matter what.

It's not going to happen on everyone's machine. I guarantee that one. But it's always going to happen reliably on some machines, including yours.

7. Michele

Michele

This sounds not good... :cry:
    I have not hope to have a background sound...
    I'm really unhappy...sigh...

Thanx for the help,
    Mic

8. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

maybe worth upgrading your sound card drivers? I wasnt aware of this issue, I've never encountered it myself...

9. Jessy

Jessy

It doesn't happen on everyone's hardware.

But no, there is no driver that is going to fix this. And UT doesn't provide a list of hardware that does or does not exhibit problems. I've never used a computer that didn't exhibit the issue - I love Unity, but this is an extremely serious problem, and I really hope 3.0 brings a complete audio overhaul, because it is sorely needed.

It's one of the reasons I hardly use "regular Unity" anymore, and just use Unity iPhone. There is still crackling in the Editor, but it goes away on the device itself.

10. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

it may be worth trying out this

As suggested by NCarter in the past... it may already be off by default but its certainly worth a shot

11. Jessy

Jessy

That never made any difference whatsoever for me (in terms of the crackle), but you might as well throw it down to zero if you don't need it.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

Agree on that, hope that 3.0 will finally get rid of OpenCrap and instead use a real audio library, for example the rumored(?) FMod which would be stellar ahead of OpenGL, performance, option and especially quality and hardware support wise.

OpenAL is a pretty ugly trip to hell on Windows, until recently for example I've been unable to play Race Driver Grid on my Core i7 on X58 board in Vista64, because OpenAL just was incapable to work with the device on it.
    And its not the only application thats bugging me (I completely removed any OpenAL trace from TGEA and T3D too for example because I otherwise have to copy around various dlls each time I update OpenAL because it deadlocks the app on startup without the handfixing of the vista64 openal installation)

13. magwo

magwo

Agreed, audio definitely needs a huge fix in Unity - it just randomly breaks for me in a myriad of ways (crackles, crashes, error messages).

In my opinion it's THE biggest problem with the quality of Unity at the moment. Nobody wants to release/develop an ambitious game whose audio will sound like poo on a fair amount of consumer computers.

For serious studios considering engine alternatives, I'd bet that this particular issue alone makes Unity a no-go at the moment.

14. Michele

Michele

I feel relief to know that I'm not alone :-D

I feel less relief to know that there's no solution right now :cry:

Hopefully in the 3.0 version...

Thanx to all

15. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

We encountered audio stuttering when we first started using the terrain engine. I believe it went away when we turned down the terrain quality, although I'm not sure exactly.

It has definitely gone away, though, and we have plenty of audio sources.

16. Michele

Michele

what do you mean
    ?

Do you mean Pixel Error and Base Map Dist.?

17. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Probably pixel error, but we've turned down everything from the defaults, so it could be any of them.

18. danilocjr

danilocjr

Dear all,

I having the same issue on Win10 with all updates and using Vuforia capturing 16:9 in fullHD. No terrain whatsoever.

I MacBook Pro no distortion.

Do you guys have any clue on this matter?

Tks

19. casey945

casey945

I have the same issue on win10. unity2018.3.0f2
    anyone can help me?

20. UnskilledBuild

UnskilledBuild

Don't know if it matters, but the Issue still exists for me; however, I'm using Linux. I just figured Android or Linux cause the issue.

Unity 2019.2.0f1 on Linux Mint, deployed to Samsung Galaxy S8+ (android 9.0).

I tried changing the AudioClip settings, streaming, and loading from a resource instead of attaching a bunch of them.
    Eh.
    Customers will just have to live with popping.

I'd wait for something open source to come up, but IBM or Microsoft would just buy it...

21. dezzell

dezzell

It seems to be with WiFi enabled on Android Galaxy devices. I disabled WiFi and the crackling goes away. Any sound from Unity on Android Pie version 9 has crackling. Videos, Recordings within the app, MP3, OGG, Wav, doesn't mater, with or without compression, even YouTube videos playing within the Unity App has crackling. No crackling on Apple or Windows or Mac devices, only Android. Disable WiFi, and it sounds so much better. I have no terrain in two different apps, just UI forms.

I messed with Audio in Project Settings, System Sample Rate 44100, 0, DSP Best, Good, Virtual Voices, Real Voices, and nothing seems to fix the problem.

I updated to Unity 2019.3.12f yesterday, and still not working. I did a simple test project, with a single Game Object, a WAV audio file, and it still crackles and pops.

My apps are for Pain and Stress relief using Hypnosis, and to have crackling and popping while trying to relax is not great.

Strange that disabling WiFi on the Android device fixes the problem. This appears to have been problem for a very long time, why hasn't Unity / Android fixed this yet.

Maybe in the 2020 version of Unity or newer version of Android this will be fixed. I will continue to try everything to get this working. For now, just put a message at the top of your Unity Project, if you hear crackling, disable your WiFi.

Till then, please someone at Unity come up with a fix for the Audio. It has something to do with WiFi on Android version 9.

22. dezzell

dezzell

Found the fix to audio crackling on Android 9 Pie Galaxy S8 devices within Unity 3D!!!!!
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/dsp...es-why-isnt-it-a-setting-per-platform.447925/

void Start()
    {

AudioConfiguration config = AudioSettings.GetConfiguration();
    config.dspBufferSize = 64;
    AudioSettings.Reset(config);
    }

I found you can set this in C#. DSP on Audio Project Settings doesn't go down to 32 or 64. At 128 it starts crackling all the way up to 80192.

The popping and crackling has gone away. Now just need to get audio working in the background when screen is off, or in another app.

I've spent weeks looking for a fix, and would give up, and finally was determined today to figure it out, kept searching Google, lol, making tweaks and so on. All good now.

deus0 likes this.
  23. deus0

deus0

24. Rispat-Momit

Rispat-Momit

I had some issues with the audio cracking up and they got fixed after changing the compression format in Unity

25. AurraSing

AurraSing

I fixed it by changing Project Settings, Audio, DSP buffer size to Best Performance :)

mjamie likes this.