Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Audio in Unity 2022.3.14f1 LTS linux not working

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by eliteCompiler, Nov 29, 2023.

1. eliteCompiler

eliteCompiler

Hi guys,

It is my best hope that all are well, I recently installed unity latest lts version on my ubuntu 20.04 machine and everything seems to be working well except the audio of the whole engine, the audio file is playing on the editor but no sound can be heard, i've tried everything on previous same issues found on the forum and online in general but it seems a straight answer cannot be found, this might be a bug in the engine in respect to linux builds

If any of you great people knows a workaround on this issue, i'll be grateful for your assistance

Thanks

2. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

Hello sir!

A few questions :
    • Have you tried other versions of Unity on your computer where audio was working?
    • Have you ever changed your ALSA and/or PulseAudio configuration? Tweaking that *might* affect Unity's audio output.
    • Have you noticed any error in the Editor log on that matter?
    • Is audio enabled in Edit > Project Settings > Audio?

3. eliteCompiler

eliteCompiler

Hi SeventhString,

Well, after doing some system updates, I fired up the engine again and everything was fine,

Thank you for the response

Best Regards

SeventhString likes this.
  4. JulianNeil

JulianNeil

5. JulianNeil

JulianNeil

I installed pavucontrol to see where unity was sending the audio. I'm not sure why the unity sink input is sending its output to HDMI (see picture). that makes no sense. I have nothing plugged in. Should be sending it to the default sink. When I map it manually using the dropdown to sof-soundwire speaker , i get sound back. I haven't adjusted my alsa or pulseaudio config from default ubuntu.
    This fix doesn't stick.. if you stop playing audio in the editor eventually you will need to reset it.
    Also - i sometimes seem to lose system sounds when I do this.. so its not really a great workaround
    Screenshot from 2023-12-09 19-45-35.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    kuro_08, bananafreek and lieqb2 like this.
  6. love_wessman

love_wessman

Would also like to know what you did to get it working again. What system updates specifically?

7. lieqb2

lieqb2

Thank you this worked for me!

8. spajus

spajus

It would be great if in addition to fixing this bug, there would also be a way to list and select active audio output device.

9. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

This would be a great addition in fact, we're looking into it and it's a bigger challenge than expected, as anything we do must work on ALL platforms. I don't want to give you false hopes, but keep faith! One day, we'll have the best audio authoring experience out there :)

andersemil likes this.