Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Audio Fixes in 5.3.5p6 -> 5.4 - No Sound [SOLVED]

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by MrEsquire, Jul 14, 2016.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi,

There been alot of audio fixes in 5.3.5p6 and this has caused some issues for myself with Audio, but does not seem there is a dev who looks after this for Unity? before you say its not related to 5.4 -> will these changes be pushed into the next 5.4 release or they specific to 5.3x? Some information would be good..

2. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

A lot (all?) of these changes are actually FROM 5.4
    Check out the the 5.4 release notes...

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Tried RC1 build and think issue with sound present, anyone else have problems.. do not get this at all?

4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Bug # ? or at least more description of issue please?

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

The issue started with changes made to 5.3.5p6 a long list of Audio fixes.
    There is no red error messages or any visibility what the issue is, no code was changed in my game, all works 5.3.5p5.
    Now I tried same game on RC1 and exact same issue as post 5.3.5p6.

Game loads but no sound in editor, playing the individual audio clip in Editor works fine.

When loading game the issue is created, I tried ReImport all without any luck.

On MacOSX machine.

Technically I dont see anything in release notes apart from fixes.. I need someone else to confirm if they have issues or not before submitting bug report.

6. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Hi MrEsquire, a repro project would be nice. Also, have you looked at the audio pane of the Profiler window to see if the sounds you expect to hear are paused or have a very low volume? Try to select the "Channels" or "Channels and groups" buttons to specify the amount of information you want to view. Could you maybe post a screenshot of it here?

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hey Janm, I forgot about this thanks for letting me know about the profiler.

Volume on Channels and Groups for main music is -4.36db, is negative number correct? in editor I dont see this figure?

8. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Yes, dB's are usually in the negative range. 0 dB means full-scale. There's also a meter in the Stats overlay of the game-view, what do you see there?

9. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Yeah, the numbers seem reasonable and the fact that you can preview sounds in the editor also shows us that the sound system is up and running, i.e. no failure initializing the sound card. Could you post a screenshot of that Stats overlay?

10. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Sure here it is..
    Like I mentioned, no code was changed with sound, you dont really change this once you get it all working. It be hard one to figure out..I just not sure if its MacOSX specific, although actually when I did build on Physical Phone -> game had no sound

Edit: In earlier 5.4 Betas also had no issues, beta 20 I thin, not sure when it changed as not used every beta.

Attached Files:

11. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Hm, that's very strange indeed, as the -63 dB reading is above our silence threshold (-80 dB), so there is some sound. Yet in the profiler we don't see any numbers in this range. Do you have any kind of audio filters such as lowpass or OnAudioFilterRead scripts on the AudioListener that modify the overall output in any way? Otherwise it would be really helpful to get a repro project so I can look further into this.

MrEsquire likes this.
  12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I have just found the issue by chance.

Yes I have a "Audio Low Pass Filter" attached to my Music
    Settings cuttof frequency 0 and Lowpass Resonance Q is 1.

So this is where the issue lies..

Disabling this all goes back to normal and can hear sound as before, I be honest I do not even know what this Audio Low Pass Filter is as did not work on project myself fully? Can you explain more please.
    Also did you guys make any changes to this etc?

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

14. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

If you set the lowpass cutoff to 0 Hz it will filter out all frequencies above this. However, that filter process is not working exactly like a brickwall, so it will only gradually fade out the amplitudes of increasing frequencies. So it's in fact not fully muted, just very very low. And yes this was a regression that got fixed which is why it previously had no effect to have the lowpass filter on.

15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Ok thanks for your help today, hope you understand how this mistake could have happened.
    Considering it was not fixed since 5.2 many people probably do not used or took advantage of it.
    Hence reporting this problem all sudden once is confused especially when the project coded done in group of people.
    I will mark this as solved for now and try and understand it more fully in future.

16. janm_unity3d

janm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting it. This is always the tricky part about regression fixes -- on one hand it fixes some behaviour that is clearly incorrect, on the other hand it can uncover setup issues that go by unnoticed until then. What we sometimes to is to make the fix first take effect from certain project versions, but that doesn't lead to the most readable or maintainable code, and also can be confusing. Also it could be that such setup is part of scripts or prefabs that are reused in new projects, in which case such a version check wouldn't be able to catch it. So yeah, I don't see an ideal way to handle such issues 100% automatically unfortunately.

MrEsquire likes this.