Search Unity

audio fall off (does forum search work?)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by escondar, Dec 28, 2005.

1. escondar

escondar

hi again...

first wondering if the forum search works... seems to only come up blank for searches like "texture" and "audio" and every otherone i've tried. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Anyway: I have set up an audio source and an audio listener as per the manual, and have tweeked the settings in the source inspector. The only quality which seemes to change is the overall volume. I cannot make it falloff with distance when actually moving around the first person controller. The manual seems to say that only mono files can be used for 3d sound effexts so I tried both mono and stereo aiffs. I have the listener as a child of the FPC.

any idea what obvious thing I am doing wrong?

2. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

the forum search is broke. I too asked about it and was told they would try to fix it over the holidays, which are pretty much over now.... anyway i hope they fix it soon.

3. NCarter

NCarter

Check that your audio settings fit in with the values I described in this thread.

You're right about only mono sound effects being usable for 3D localisation. Stereo sounds are always played as if they're directly at the location of the listener.

Another thing which tripped me up the other day is that you're only supposed to have one audio listener. If you have two or more, only one of them is used, and it might not be the one you expected. In my case, the other listener was attached to a camera which was miles away from the player at the start, so only muted sounds were audible. If you have multiple cameras, check them all and turn off unused listeners.

4. escondar

escondar

Hello Ncarter,

I'll fool with my settings to see what I've done wrong... thanks for the reply.

I checked out your Rescue game. Well done. Feels quite successfully spacelike and for the simple game that it is it succeeds quite well. When the clock is ticking down and the music goes from etherial moody to disco it gets the adrenilin flowing a bit. Did you do it in Unity?

Another question. Because the 'down' curser key on my keyboard is busted (Coffee spill) I wanted to remap it. I tried opening the prefs file but it opened my final cut pro suite. All those miners indanger deserve a fully controlable rescue ship and I have to roll my freakin spaceship 180 degrees just to point her nose down. lol

5. socksy

socksy

The Rescue linked on his website wasn't made with Unity, but he's made RescUnity in Unity, and it rocks. I have a few screenies of big exploding things on the mac now, due to the amount of fun I had with the bombing system and the particle engine ;)

6. NCarter

NCarter

Yikes, if I don't respond quickly enough, other people respond for me! :p

As Ben says above, that version of Rescue wasn't made in Unity, it was written in C++ with the aid of the SDL framework. I'm making a new version of it in Unity, partly as a learning exercise and partly because I think it's a better route to getting a good result.

I'm keeping the Unity version of Rescue slightly under wraps at the moment to keep my website's bandwidth usage down, but if you want to see it, drop me a line or (preferably) drop into the IRC channel and ask me. :)

It's not that exciting right now, and there's no actual gameplay but you can fly the ship around, stick magnetic mines to things and so on....

It's all on hold for the moment because I'm working on another Unity game, this time a space shooter. Rescue has some reasonably complex issues that need to be tackled, so I'm trying something a bit more immediate first.

Sorry, the keyboard controls can't be redefined in this version. I suppose you could just rotate 90° and use the yaw left/right controls instead. ;)

Thanks for the comments!

7. escondar

escondar

Been a while since i posted the query but i found my problem. I indeed had accidentally created a second AUDIO LISTENER and it was sitting there listening. The FPS controller (with my intended Listener) was moving away from the AUDIO SOURCE with no fall off because the sound was defaulting to an immobile listener that was right next to the source.

Moral of the story. make sure each scene has only one AUDIO LISTENER.