Search Unity

Attribute Map Sample Node

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by JohnAustinPontoco, Apr 4, 2020.

1. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

Attribute maps are fantastic with the point cache tool for Houdini, but we desparately need a node to actually sample from an attribute map in the same way that the default blocks do. You can read them like a texture, but it's nowhere near as convenient, and I'm really not sure I'm doing it properly (ie. UV layout, etc).

Am I just missing it?

2. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

For folks who stumble on this, I recently found that you can modify any "Set X from Map" node to change the attribute. So I was able to create a "Add Position From Map" block, even though I couldn't find it in the node dropdown.

Exposing this in the settings of the block itself somehow would be *really* nice. I would have never seen them in the inspector.

3. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yes we are aware that settings in inspector suffer from discoverability issues. This is something that is going to be adressed in the future.

Having a operator node to sample point cache in addition to the block would be useful indeed, I'm adding that to our backlog.

4. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

Thanks. As it turned out, I'm still somewhat blocked, although I've managed to reverse engineer the UV mapping (I think).

Just for clarity on the use case, I have a custom property per point (an integer mask) that I've baked out from Houdini that I would like to read in the update context. There's one more big blocker:

Point Cache doesn't support integers! This is a big issue, and I can't figure a workaround (there's no easy way to unpack an int from a float). This has basically stopped my work on the intended effect. :(

Thanks for the hard work on this so far! VFX Graph is a huge step forward! :)

PS: I'm also affected by the mobile bugs, just to throw my hat in for those as well. We're hoping by release it will be fixed, but it's a bit of a gamble.