Search Unity

Attempting to Open Scenes or Prefabs Launches VS Code (Unity 2019.2.2f1)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by StrawberryJellyfish, Aug 24, 2019.

1. StrawberryJellyfish

StrawberryJellyfish

Hello Everyone!
    So I've just downloaded Unity 2019.2.2f1 and I opened a new project on my Mac.
    For some reason I can't seem to open prefabs or scenes by double-clicking. Whenever I double click a scene or preview, it just opens Visual Studio Code.

Does anyone have a fix or some info on this strange behavior?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Shane-Pangea

Shane-Pangea

I'm having the same issue on my Mac! What is up with that?!

3. Shane-Pangea

Shane-Pangea

Just is time for my game jam too! :(

4. Shane-Pangea

Shane-Pangea

@StrawberryJellyfish It seems to just be an issue with VS Code. Within Preferences > External Tools, if I set "External Script Editor" to "Visual Studio" and not "Visual Studio Code", it works fine.

5. apoderechin

apoderechin

I have the same issue. I also use VS Code. Is there a fix for this?

6. StrawberryJellyfish

StrawberryJellyfish

Thanks man, I'll try that out (VS Code is my only IDE though, so I suppose it's time to get another :p)

7. dnscotty

dnscotty

Same issue here, but I don't see an issue with VS Code but instead with Unity. Could be wrong here but I think it's Unity Editor's responsibility to choose what happens when a scene (or whatever file) is double klicked in the assets view.

I'd say what should be fixed is "what happens when files are double klicked / opened when VS Code is set as editor"?

8. eladleb4

eladleb4

Using Unity's package manager I updated to vscode plugin version 1.1.0 and it's working correctly.
    HOWEVER...
    Opening a script using double click will no longer open the correct spot in the IDE :(
    Updating to 2019.2 turns out to be quite a terrible experience....

Shane-Pangea likes this.
  9. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

I had the same issue. I changed the "External Tools -> External Script Editor" to "Open By File Extension". If you have VSCode set as default program for .cs files you'll be fine from there.

By doing this you lose the ability to open the entire project in VSCode by default when you dbl click any cs file. But at least it works for now.

Also - this reveals that the issue lies somewhere with Unity. When windows basic file extensions determines how to load it, it loads fine. When Unity decides how to load scene files (When not using the default Visual Studio) It opens as a script file. Something within Unitys code is indicating when that is triggered in that manner, scene files are script files.

Fingers crossed for a speedy fix as I do not see myself using anything other than VSCode.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    gear64Studios likes this.
  10. Smolty

Smolty

Seems to be in Issue specifically with 2019.2.2f1 , don't have this problem with 2019.2.1f.

11. Shane-Pangea

Shane-Pangea

12. anisabboud

anisabboud

Thanks Shane-Pangea! Seems fixed now.

Window -> Package Manager -> Visual Studio Code Editor -> Update to 1.1.0.

13. sk8tyger

sk8tyger

I can confirm changing the editor to Visual Studio also works in 2019.3.0 beta

14. illinar

illinar

Changing the editor to Visual Studio is not a fix thought.

Updating VSCode package to 1.1.2 worked. Thanks.

15. AkselSky

AkselSky

Updating VSCode package to 1.1.2 - 100% Fix
    Thanks all

16. fesi

fesi

I fix this by going in preferences then setting external script editor to open by file extension

17. Whatever560

Whatever560

This is not a good solution in my case, as it prevents unity to use VS as a build target and projects are not generated when I add new modules.

So how to stop unity from opening .unity scene files with VS ?