Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Attempted XR Plugin Management upgrade, possibly need to revert back to legacy VR?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Regulus343, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Regulus343

Regulus343

I guess I'm just basically looking for some advice from anyone else who has found themselves in a similar situation with the new XR Plugin Management stuff. I eventually did get it all working, but unfortunately here's my current situation:

1) I've spent some time upgrading to XR Plugin Management, and migrating code to handle the XR Rig setup.

2) Existing project setup was using Single Pass stereo rendering. With the new XR system, "Single Pass" is gone in favor of "Single Pass Instanced" or "Multi Pass". I'm using an incompatible shader, the Calm Water asset shader, which reportedly can't work with "Single Pass Instanced" due to an ongoing bug in Unity (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...plash-screen-when-running-in-single-pass-mode).

3) Multi Pass can work, but will mean that more optimization work will have to be done to get the game to hit good frame rates. Though this might be a problem still in that the Windows XR plugin can only do Single Pass Instanced, so my water levels will still appear broken.

So... is my best option just to spend some more time reverting everything back to Unity's old VR stuff and hope that someday this stuff does work better with shaders my project depends on, or a rendering method ("Single Pass")? I was hoping I'd be able to make all the new stuff work though, because going back means I'll still probably want to cross this bridge later. Any advice from anyone who is in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated!