Search Unity

attack animation

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by badassgamer, Jun 16, 2015.

1. badassgamer

badassgamer

i want to have a animation like if i hit my enemy he needs to be stunned so when he is stunned i want to add stars circling around him so how to do that? with particle system?

2. Simpso

Simpso

i would personally spawn a model of those stars ( created in another piece of software) and then have them rotate around your players head or where ever you want them.

badassgamer likes this.
  3. badassgamer

badassgamer

ok what software is suitable for that?

4. Simpso

Simpso

Any 3d modelling software . I assume your game is 3d.
    There's a free one. I think it's called blender.

badassgamer likes this.
  5. badassgamer

badassgamer

yes i have blender but how can we do that in blender ? sorry iam new so dont know

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You'd probably be better off asking that in a blender forum. Blender is not easy; you'll need to watch some tutorials and probably print out a reference chart for all the crazy key combos it uses.

I might point out that you're biting off an awful lot learning to use Unity, learning to use Blender, and (I would guess) learning to program all at once. You could save yourself a lot of grief by doing them one at a time. For example:
    • Learn Unity and programming (a pretty easy combo) while making a 2D game, using your own crude hand-drawn art, assets from the Asset Store, or free stuff from OpenGameArt.org
    • Learn Unity and programming while making a 3D game, using assets from the Asset Store
    • Learn 3D modeling by just 3D modeling — don't worry about making a game at all (making 3D assets is rewarding on its own)
    • Learn Unity without learning C# by using something like PlayMaker (with one of the asset sources above).
    Any of these would be easier than trying to get good at Blender, C#, and Unity all at the same time.

badassgamer likes this.
  7. badassgamer

badassgamer

thank you for taking your time and posting this is very useful and yes blender is so hard . i already tried to model several things and failed and that uv mapping and unwrap is alot diffcult its so hard to learn and i can even learn programming easily than doing modelling . so "learning unity and programming while making 3D game using assests from asset store" is suitable for me

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Cool, go with that then. There are a ton of really cool assets in the Asset Store; many of them are free, and many more are reasonably priced. Build up your mad programming skillz with those, and even prototype your games (and post them to the "Friday Feedback" thread in the Design forum!) with those stock assets. Someday when you have an awesome game that is fun to play, and just needs some custom art, you can do what most of us do: hire a professional artist to make it!

badassgamer likes this.
  9. badassgamer

badassgamer

and also is there is any way to create missions after creating game world ? i find lots game tutorial but none of them contains about creating missions . and also do i need to learn animation while creating games ? cause i can download assets from asset stores but animation cannot be downloaded it can only be created.

10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

"Missions" are just data that configures a game scene. Yes, there are lots of ways to do that.

And assets from the asset store can (and often do) include animations as well. Whether or not you need animations while creating games depends on the game you're creating.

It sounds to me like you're very new to all this — which is fine, we were all new at some point. But you need to loosen your focus on some specific goal you have in mind, and instead spend some time getting up to speed on all the different things Unity can do. Actually go through those tutorials; learn to code in C#; learn about UnityEvents (see the tutorial in my sig); maybe get some books on game design; etc. Do lots of little projects, and when you get stuck on one, drop it and do another (you'll come back to it later when you've learned more).

Asking questions is good, but try to get to the point where your questions are less "how do I do X?" and more "I understand that doing X should involve steps A, B, and C, but I'm having trouble on step B, the code for which is below, and it gives me the following error/problem which I don't fully understand."

To do that, you will of course have to learn quite a lot... but fortunately, there are a ton of great learning resources for Unity, so get cracking! :)

badassgamer likes this.
  11. Simpso

Simpso

As others have said, the best best best thing you can do with unity to start, is follow the tutorials in the learn section.
    They will help your mind pop with possibilities.

What I did when I started was follow the tutorial, create that game and then add to it.
    Most games are all created on variations of basic concepts which are covered in those tutorials.

Create an player, place it in a scene, add a script to make it do and react to stuff and bang you have a game.

badassgamer likes this.
  12. badassgamer

badassgamer

@ joe strout yes iam new to unity3d just started 1 month ago . and currently working on survival games which migh be too early for me but the tutor in youtube said that it is mostly for beginner to intermidiate his youtube name is brackeys which iam learning from his survival tutorial . and so if survival is too early then what is suitable ? 2D then? and also i didnt program anything in c# yet but i did with with javascript and so can i learn c# instead of java?:)

13. badassgamer

badassgamer

@Simpso where can i those tutorials? and thank you too for help

14. Simpso

Simpso

15. badassgamer

badassgamer

16. Simpso

Simpso

Do them in the order you have listed.
    They kind of build on each other. So stuff you learn in Roll a ball will be used in space shooter but space shooter will give you more skills to learn and so on.

badassgamer likes this.
  17. badassgamer

badassgamer

thank you and is this tutorials are complete ? i mean they teach everything like quest creating main menu and finishing game fully?

18. badassgamer

badassgamer

and also that roll-A-ball game the tutorjust made 4 or 5 coins but the game should have atleast 3 levels but he just create 4 coins and says this the end of game

19. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Tutorials are not full games; they are intended to teach you the skills you need to make a full game.

If you've gone through all the Unity tutorials you can find, and understood what you were doing, you will have no problem adding levels, quests, main menus, etc.

badassgamer likes this.
  20. badassgamer

badassgamer

so after learning these tutorials and making a game can i make money ( just a small amount) with ads in andoriod or web? if so how? and also my goal is not to make money now iam instersted in making games only but i need just a small reward for creating a game lol

21. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's not too hard to make a small amount of money (a few hundred dollars per year). Making serious amounts of money (enough to live on, say) is much harder.

I think you'll find the greater reward is the satisfaction of completing a project, sharing it with people, and hearing how much they love your game!

badassgamer likes this.
  22. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

One more thing, though... if you intend to sell (directly, or to advertisers) your game someday, you should start now building "spit & polish" skills in everything you do. That means reaching for the shift key at the start of each sentence, as well as on the word "I", and also using periods at the ends of sentences, etc.

I know it may seem unimportant (yoots these days!), but it's not. If you can't give an impression of quality in a forum post, I don't think you'll make a good impression with your game either.

Just my $0.02... and good luck to you, whatever you do!

Cheers,
    - Joe

badassgamer likes this.
  23. badassgamer

badassgamer

yes thats true people opinion is great reward so how to show my finished games to others like uploading it in android? and yes my grammar is bad. i need to learn all these things which you said like spelling and ending sentence properly . thank you :) and good luck to you too for making big games. and iam not planned to sell cause selling involves asking constumer to pay money to download my games but though popular games like angry birds etc is free. i can only make money by adds and giving it free . and what is $0.02? i dont understand that

24. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Most "free" games are either ad-supported or charge users through in-app purchases. I hate both models, but that's the way the market has gone.

And "my $0.02" (usually pronounced "my two cents") is a figure of speech that means something like "this is just my opinion, for whatever it's worth."

badassgamer likes this.
  25. badassgamer

badassgamer

yea and your a game devloper on console and pc? and you said me to read game deign book so it is general game design book? or is about game design in unity3d? cause some books they talk about general game design like buliding a game with c++ withou game design but there are diffrence between buliding ggames in unity3d and other engines and also i going to sleep so i cannot reply immeaditely but i will reply when i wake up lol

26. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I was referring to game design, which isn't about any particular engine (and for that matter, isn't just about computer games). Something like these books.

27. badassgamer

badassgamer

ok after finishing all these 4 tutorials what should i learn next?