Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Attach image plane to camera?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by aerende, Dec 28, 2010.

1. aerende

aerende

Is it possible to attach an image plane to a camera so that as the camera moves away from the image plane, the image plane scales larger. In this way the boundaries of the image plane are always outside the field of view of the camera?

I know it is possible to do this in Maya, but I'm curious if it is possible to do this in Unity?

2. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

This sounds like something you'd probably want to use a separate camera for.

Can you tell us what problem you're trying to solve exactly? What is the image for? Is it a background image of some sort?

3. aerende

aerende

@Jesse Anders -

Right it is a background image, and right now the camera is very close to the background image plane. There is some distortion on the sides, so I'd like to be able to move the camera back until the distortion on the sides goes away. It would be nice if the background image scaled automatically as the camera moved away, instead of my having to scale the background image.

4. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

Is the background image always supposed to remain fixed as far as the viewer is concerned? Or does it scroll or otherwise move in some way?

5. aerende

aerende

@Jesse Anders -

The background image is always fixed as far as the viewer is concerned.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Use a GUITexture with the pixel inset values set to 0 and the scale set to (1, 1). Use two cameras so objects can appear in front of the GUITexture camera.

--Eric