Search Unity

ats Colormap terrain shader [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

If anybody here want the beta version of TerrainComposer, it's ready now. It works perfectly with Lars his shaders. I just bought the Ultra Shader, great work Lars :D

2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

eagle, what exactly does TC do? Does it generate colormaps and splat distributions, or just apply them with customizeable curves? I'd like to give it a shot.

3. eagle555

eagle555

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

wow, that looks pretty cool!
    nice work.

lars

5. bbedwell

bbedwell

I was playing around with the multi terrain script add on and I have a question:

How do you control the tiling of the three detail textures?

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

tiling is controlled via the regular terrain painting tool.

lars

7. bbedwell

bbedwell

Could you be a little more specific on some other aspects of the multi terrain script?

Why am I adding the colormap and normal map to slots 1 and 2 in the terrain textures?

Are detail maps the tilable textures that the splat map will distribute?

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

please read the whole thread and you will find the explanation.
    short version:
    if using unity 3.x adding colormap and normal map to slots 1 and 2 is the only way to have different maps on different terrains.
    this is not the fact for unity 4.

lars

9. goat

goat

I have to say I used Terrain Toolkit's splat maps and imported satellite data with very fine grained tinted sand textures (had to because I didn't want to swap out textures as I was zooming in) and it was OK but this looks much better. I'm going to try it on my satellite data.

10. janpec

janpec

eagle555 great job!

11. SevenBits

SevenBits

12. Uninity

Uninity

I really need to know how to use the ATS ColorMap v2. I need either step by step or a tutorial! PLEASE

13. joeybubble1

joeybubble1

Hey
    Does anybody know how to add DX11 support to this, because when I set DX11 texture go extremely low resolution.

Thanks
    Tz

14. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

i bought yesterday the Ultra Version(great Terrain shader,finally we got one!!)but still loving the free one 'cause is faster to use in some sits.

Anyway,i'v got questions,looot of questions: :)

1)(free version) I noticed that i have to Vertically Flip the splatmap too,not only the heightMap.
    is that correct,or ther's something wrong with my splatMap?
    2)(Ultra version)I'm not sure i got it right :rolleyes: .If i use the Unity4 shader,the only script i'v to put on the
    terrain is the BaseTerrainDistance one,right?
    But if is so,i have no idea how the set up the bunch of settings that shows up with the Material.

ok,i'll stop here for now :D
    Thanks,
    keep up the good work!!
    Beastie.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  15. SevenBits

SevenBits

There is no magical DX11 support button. You'll have to modify the shaders for it to work. Alternatively, you can force Unity to run in DX9 mode, which will solve this problem (but then you can't use any DX11 features).

16. Jack_M

Jack_M

Your last post, SevenBits, answered one of my questions, however I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the shader DX 11 compatible. Specifics would be the most helpful, but if not just pointing me in the right direction would be a huge help.

thanks for a great shader,
    Jack M.

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi jack,

although this will ruin my sales of the ultra version: just check out the thread of the ultra version of this shader to find out how to add dx11 support.

lars

18. ayina

ayina

Hello,
    I want to know is how you make out Basemap, I went straight from the WM output Basemap colors are very single, thank you.

19. theAfrican

theAfrican

i got this wonderful shader to work but everytime i save and quit. when i restart unity, i just see a plain white terrain. i have attached a screenshot and on the right, i see some shader compiler errors. i really would like to use this shader. im using unity 4. does unity 4 not work correctly with it? also, i always have to flip my splat maps, normals and colormap. $Untitled.png

20. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

the free version of this shader has not been optimized to be used in unity 4.
    so it does not support materials (that is why you have to hit "run" to make the textures appear whenever you restart unity) and it does not support dx11 (that is why you get the compiler warnings).
    and yes, you have to flip your maps due to unity’s way to handle them.

you might want to have a look into the color map Ultra shader: it supports dx11, 6 detail textures, normal map elevation, mesh blending and much more… all packed into a handy gui ;-)

lars

21. waterdog

waterdog

I like how ATS works very much. But, I seem to now have a problem after installing it. I would like to import a new raw format heightmap, but, the terrain tab in the unity interface now only has one selection "Apply Splatmap" and no other options. I suspect that has something to do with the apply splatmap
    editor script in ATS assets, but, It isn't clear to me how to get back to being able to import a new heightmap for a terrain. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

22. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi waterdog,

it sounds as if you use unity 4, right?
    so all commands which where located in the menu bar -> "terrain" (unity 3.x) are now located in the inspector.
    select your terrain in the hierarchy, switch to settings in the inspector (gear wheel) and find "Import Raw…".

lars

btw. if you are using unity 4 i highly recommend to upgrade to the color map ultra shader as it makes use of the new material system for terrains.
    it is just 10$…

23. kilik128

kilik128

color map ultra shader where you found him

what's your's trick for mobile ?

and raw my try get no luck i finish by buy

24. Stephan-Tanguay

Stephan-Tanguay

Love the shader, exactly what I was looking for. The detail normal maps dont seem to add much detail. Is there any way to get specular shading on the detail textures?

Stephan Tanguay

25. Stephan-Tanguay

Stephan-Tanguay

Just downloaded the Ultra Version!!! WOW

26. Montreseur

Montreseur

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to apply my splat map, anyone willing to help?

27. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

28. Montreseur

Montreseur

I clicked the terrain tab at the top and did "Add Splatmap", the splat was saved as an RGBA 32 bit bitmap, bu I still had trouble bringing it in. After messing around for a while I got it.

Now my next question, is there a way to make the colormaps colors, not get replaced with the textures colors. Much how CryEngine works, and the tutorials from Wenda, the color map is on the height map, and the detail textures are a separate layer that do not effect the color of the colormap?

My textures replaced the color of my colormap within a certain proximity of the character.

29. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the detail textures do NOT replace the color values from the color map: they both are combined based on the average color of the given detail texture.
    this is the most advanced blending i have found so far and i am quite happy with it ;-)
    (i would call it even more advanced than the cryengine blending as it allows you to have very colorful detail maps and not just more or less grayscaled textures).

even if you have a a very colorful detail texture the color of the colormap will dominate the final output – but only if you have setup the average colors for each detail texture correctly.

lars

30. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

$Bildschirmfoto 2014-01-29 um 19.41.58.png

that is how a mostly green grass detail texture should look on a red color map.
    important: set up the average color value correctly.

lars

31. Montreseur

Montreseur

Okay, I will mess around with it more. When I was trying to add the splat map, i got an error that said I needed 4 textures, so I added them to the texture panel in the terrain inspector. I was then able to add the splat map, and that is when the colors got replaced. I was trying a snowy mountain terrain, with its colormap, but using the textures that came with the ATS pack.

32. Montreseur

Montreseur

Also, I am having a problem using this shader with the Medieval Environment Package, are they compatible?

33. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

maybe the Medieval Environment Package comes with its own terrain replacement shader?
    look for that, remove the shader from the Medieval Environment Package and restart unity.

lars

34. fairchild670

fairchild670

Fantastic shader! I've been using the Ultra version and love it - however I've run into an issue with one terrain setup where "dark areas" show up on the terrain in Scene view when moving the camera at certain angles. These "dark areas" also impact nearby dynamic lights at runtime, as well as in the editor. Here's an example: http://gfycat.com/WildConventionalJohndory (Notice the left side of the light does not illuminate the darker area of the terrain).

All of the normals seem to be fine (at least when testing with a standard bump shader) and I'm only using 4 textures with 1 SplatMap. Also when using the Debug version of the shader I don't see any anomalies. Anyone have any ideas what what might be causing this?

Thanks!

35. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

as the dark areas seem to be view dependent i would guess that those have to to with specular reflections.
    please check the gloss and specular values of all textures.

lars

36. fairchild670

fairchild670

Thanks! Looked at the textures and after some troubleshooting, it turns out it was just an invalid Splatmap.

37. versionepatche

versionepatche

Does this work with your snow suite?

38. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

nope, these are just 2 different terrain shaders...

39. versionepatche

versionepatche

Anyway to add the void that adds snow into this one , thanks? :)

40. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

well, you could try... but you will probably not be able to use a special snow texture (but only pure white) and no snow mask.

lars

41. AnnaBarnhart

AnnaBarnhart

Hello! I'm trying to use your shader but of course, I'm not doing something right. I followed the ReadMe, there are bump maps on my textures, and nothing happens. If I try to set my base terrain material to a material I made with texture, bump map, and your shader, the terrain doesn't even render in either view. What am I doing wrong? I'm not much of a coder yet, so I could be missing something very simple. Sorry. I am using Unity 4.6.11, what do I need to change in the script, if anything?

42. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

that is not much info, sorry.

43. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Hi
    Looks like a cool shader but the demo doesn't work out of the box.
    I'm getting a shader compile error:
    Too many texture interpolators would be used for ForwardBase pass (11 out of max 10)

44. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the shader has not been updated for unity 5. you will have to use the color map ULTRA shader…

45. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Ok thanks. I'm trying it now. I will let you know if there is any issues.

46. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

47. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi rod,
    flat shading is not supported.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  48. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Oh, thanks.

Is flat shading on a unity terrain feasible/doable? Is it hard to do?

49. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i never looked into that… sorry

50. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I would really like to see a simple color map script implemented in the terrain shader, that would help so many artists and terrainers! Just wondering why Unity hasn't done it already from v5?