Search Unity

ats color map ULTRA shader [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Oct 17, 2012.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

that's a surface shader... so unity is responsible from handling this.
    nevertheless: when it comes to light mapping all the shader does is to provide a valid meta pass.
    you can see the output of the meta pass by switching to "albedo" in the lighmapping preview (scene view).
    this should somehow fit a low res color preview of the terrain.
    it might be broken in 2019 versions of unity as the lightmapper provide corrupted uvs...
    nothing we can fix on the parallax shader – as it is a surfce shader.

anyway: if the terrain is seen by directional lights then it should be see by point lights as well.

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

I've checked the actual lightmap texture, nothing from point lights written there or visible in scene view preview.
    It's either Bakery, or CMU. Other meshes rendered just fine, and the terrain isn't. So I guess its CMU.

In any case, I've excluded terrain from lightmapping right now.
    (It doesn't have that much of a shadow pass overhead anyways, so I'll just use realtime lights for it).

If you manage to find out what's wrong, let me know.

3. xVergilx

xVergilx

@larsbertram1 Actually I was wrong, sorry.

Its caused by the "Terrain optimization" feature of the Bakery.
    With it disabled point lights render to the lightmap just fine.

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

:)

5. apan-bin

apan-bin

Can this shader support SRP?

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

it does not at the moment. what are you looking for? hdrp or urp?

7. apan-bin

apan-bin

urp

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

there is a way simpler but terrain shader in my Lux LWRP Essentials package (which also works using URP).
    it does not work with texture arrays, does not cover dyanmic snow and wetness or tessellation but at least supports proper normal mapping and advanced parallax mapping.
    the package also contains a terrain/mesh blending shader. and tons of other stuff.

9. apan-bin

apan-bin

Are you planning to upgrade this shader to URP?

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i will look into this, yes.

magique likes this.
  11. magique

magique

@larsbertram1 I'm getting the same issue as reported in the following post:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ats-color-map-ultra-shader-released.155185/page-27#post-5060996

I also tried instancing and Enable Height Normal, but neither work. It seems to flip flop back and forth between looking fine and doing the weird black shadowy look. Sometimes just clicking on the terrain object in the project hierarchy fixes it temporarily. Unfortunately, when in run-time mode it is always broken.

I am using Unity 2019.2.17f1 and have the latest CMU.

12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

just to keep me up to date: what is the issue?

13. magique

magique

14. magique

magique

@larsbertram1 However, if I run the demo scene and even have rain effects on with puddles, it runs fine. So, it is only happening with a terrain that I converted following the steps given in the documentation.

[EDIT]
    The biggest difference I see is that the converted terrain has only 4 textures and the demo has 8. And I don't have ColorMap turned on. Checking for other possible differences that might matter.

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the issues you are referring to back in oct 2019 were caused by terrain materials converted from earlier unity versions using other terrain shader solutions.
    so just create a new terrain material :)

16. magique

magique

Well, doesn't it create a new terrain material when I click the Create Terrain Material button? But you are right. I was comparing several terrain shader solutions and this scene was taken from MicroSplat and converted to CMU. I will try with a clean new Unity terrain and see if things go better.

17. magique

magique

@larsbertram1 OK, so I tried making a completely new terrain in an empty scene and assigned and painted 4 textures on the terrain. I used sample textures from CMU install. Then I followed the steps to create material, update layers, assign material, etc. And all looks fine until I press play and then I get this black shadow-like thing on the terrain.

Here it is in edit mode:

upload_2020-1-10_15-30-10.png

And now playmode:

upload_2020-1-10_15-30-31.png

And when I exit playmode:

upload_2020-1-10_15-31-0.png

18. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

losing anything on entering playmode usually is caused by the fact that the texture arrays are not stored to disc.
    make sure the arrays are not only updated but also saved.

19. xVergilx

xVergilx

Hi, @larsbertram1

Got a question, any plans on porting this to HDRP?

Should I wait for the port, or just make it myself?

20. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

if you want it quickly, do it yourself :)

xVergilx likes this.
  21. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello guys! We want to invite you our new teaser of The End of the Sun game announcing Kickstarter campaign where we use Colormap Ultra Terrain Shader :)
    If you are interested in, add your email here. https://www.endofsun.com/crowdfunding/

Fibonaccov and Baldinoboy like this.
  22. hemiechinuss

hemiechinuss

I've run into a problem where the texture arrays are not functioning. I've looked everywhere for a solution so far but no luck. When I click "Update Array" it simply produces a texture array with blank white or black textures and the terrain is just a smooth white/grey color. It has been working just fine since I bought this asset but in the last day it has broken entirely and the asset ceases to function with the texture arrays broken like this. I've tried many different packages for generating texture arrays and they all have the same problem even in a new, clean project. I don't know if I've done something or what I'm using the same version of unity, no changes to project settings, no errors, nothing to indicate that something might be wrong other than the textures not writing to an array properly.

23. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i have never heard of this before and it sounds really strange. even more strange: no asset creating texture arrays works for you.
    as creating texture arrays uses graphics i wonder if this might be a problem with your graphics api or driver. did you update it recently?

24. hemiechinuss

hemiechinuss

Thanks for the reply. I've since tried swapping to Windows 10, DX11 (I was on Ubuntu, OpenGL) and that didn't help. I also updated the unity editor to the latest version and that didn't help either. Creating a new project still gives me this issue. The ubuntu version hasn't updated at all since it's still using Nvidia proprietary version 470 drivers. Windows has updated to the latest Nvidia drivers since yesterday.

25. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i use texture arrays on a daily base under windows 10 and dx11 - no matter if it is HDRP, URP or BIRP they just work fine here. versions of unity i use range from 2019.x to 2021.2.
    well, then you should consider filing a bug report.
    i will send you a small editor script which creates texture arrays from selection.

26. creat327

creat327

question, removing tiling thanks to UV Mixing, the tiling is reducing but the texture details compared to the regular terrain shader are almost gone. Is there a better way to remove tiling or am I doing something wrong?

27. stigmamax

stigmamax

In "Texture Arrays" I have this error:
    the assigned snow and detail normal map does not fit in size

28. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

then most likely their size does not fit the size of the other textures in the array.

29. stigmamax

stigmamax

30. stigmamax

stigmamax

Help !
    I can no longer open "Detail Settings"
    I have this error:

31. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

switch the inspector to debug mode and fix the issue.

32. stigmamax

stigmamax

"Detail Settings" is ok, thanks

I have a problem with "Texture Arrays".

Are these files?

Edit :
    All textures and normal maps are ok

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  33. stigmamax

stigmamax

I have this error and the textures turn black when I approach the camera and i have this error

34. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you can simply "update" the arrays to get a quick preview. but you have to click "save array" before you can enter play mode.

35. stigmamax

stigmamax

thanks it works.

When I can paint on my terrain, I don't know how to modify the resolution of the texture. I added ColormapPaintingTool_4 but I don't see the option.
    If I change the resolution with the base terrain tool, it has no effect.

English is not my native language and this is my first time using a terrain shader. But the tool looks very powerful.

36. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the colormap has the resolution of
    a) the custom texture you created and assigned or
    b) the original basemap using he resultion defined by the terrain at the time of creation

the painting tool does not rescale the map at any point. if you want to rescale the colormap ake sure you save it then open it in photoshop or gimp and rescale it there.

37. stigmamax

stigmamax

I was talking about this size:

38. stigmamax

stigmamax

Now I have this new error:

39. stigmamax

stigmamax

Does the asset work well with Unity 2022.2.18f1? If not, which version of Unity do you recommend?
    I am ready to change version if necessary.

40. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the color map terrain shader does not support different tiling values for different layers. they all share the same tiling specified in the color map inspector.

41. stigmamax

stigmamax

no help? I'm quite disappointed. The doc is not explicit. It lacks a doc like "how to start"
    I still can't modify the tile of a texture.

42. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

43. stigmamax

stigmamax

I read the doc (FR translation) but I can't change the texture tile.

44. stigmamax

stigmamax

How do I modify the textures individually?

45. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

like written in the docs: you can't.

46. stigmamax

stigmamax

but then how to proceed to modify a single texture? I tried with the normal Unity terrain method but it doesn't work on the texture!
    I managed to configure this Asset without error and this last thing blocks me in my project.
    Please show me how to do it.

47. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Individual tiling is simply not supported. For performance reasons. But it does not make much sense anyway as the shader uses texture arrays. Combined with individual tiling factors this would result in inconsistent texel densities.

48. stigmamax

stigmamax

49. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

if you have created the arrays you do not need any script at all but can just use the regular material inspector to adjust the terrain material. anyway, if the script is still attached changing the tiling there should be sent to the material.

50. stigmamax

stigmamax

Can you explain to me where I have to act to modify the tile of this part and is too big here. I am a little lost. THANKS