Search Unity

ats color map ULTRA shader [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Oct 17, 2012.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

00_key_features.jpg

The Color Map ULTRA Terrain Shader is a versatile, powerful yet fast replacement for Unity's built in terrain shaders and lets you create beautiful vistas and highly detailed terrain surfaces.

Shader Features V. 3.0
    [needs Unity 5.4 and DX11 or OpenGLCore]
    • Color MapAdd a manually authored color map to get much more variety on your terrain texturing.
    • Up to 8 detail splats within a single pass [including normals, smoothness and height maps – specular is defined as solid color per layer]
    • Height based blending – Blend details according to their height maps giving you a much more natural look.
    • Multi UV mixing – Get rid of nasty tiling artifacts on high-frequency textures like rock using Multi UV Mixing which is supported on 2 of the 8 layers.
    • Parallax Mapping or Tessellation – Add more depth to your terrain using parallax mapping or tessellation [beta].
    • Dynamic WeatherAdd dynamically calculated and fixed snow, water and wetness to your terrain – based on Lux 2.01 snow and wetness functions which also support rain ripples and water running down the surface to add some extra touch.
    • Color Painting Tool – Paint to your color map and make adjustments right within unity. Create holes, mask water and snow accumulation or paint puddles and streams.
    CMU V.3.0 on the Asset Store | Documentation

Shader Features V. 2.5

[Needs Unity 5.x and support DX9, DX11, OpenGL and OpenGLCore]
    • Color Map – Add a manually authored color map to get much more variety on your terrain texturing.
    • Up to 6 detail splats within a single pass [including normals and smoothness]
    • 2 terrain decals [reusing 2 of the 6 detail textures] blended in using a height map based approach.
    • Multi UV Mixing – Get rid of nasty tiling artifacts on high-frequency textures like rock using Multi UV Mixing which is supported on 1 of the 6 layers.
    • Mesh blending toolset – which lets you blend any arbitrary mesh seamlessly [texturing and normals] with the terrain.
    • Color Painting Tool Paint to your color map and make adjustments right within unity.
    CMU v.2.5 on the Asset Store

Dynamic Weather including dynamic water and snow accumulation [V. 3.0 only]

07_dynamic_water.jpg

Crispier surfaces [tessellation is only supported in V. 3.0]

04_parallax_tess.jpg

Height based blending
    [V. 2.5 support height based blending only on decals]

03_height_based_blending.jpg

Mesh Blending
    [V. 2.5 only]

$meshblending.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. lazygunn

lazygunn

This is looking like great work! I'll buy it when it becomes available (assuming my bank likes me at the time).. i may try what you suggested in another thread also and try it on a non-terrain mesh, but eitherway i'll be spending a little time in the near future following some of those world machine videos and making something purty to see what it can do

3. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi lazygunn,
    thanks. i will keep you informed when it becomes available.

lars

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great shader, should be built into unity :) will get it once it hits the store, thanks for making this!

AlteredPlanets likes this.
  5. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

your are welcome ;-)
    i hope it will be approved today: let’s see.

lars

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

the only visible thing that I noticed in the web player is that detail pops in when zooming in and out far away.
    I don't know if this is the terrain mesh, or the texture quality that causes this sudden pop but this is quite visible, maybe good if there is some way to blend between this ?

7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i guess, it is the fading (on rock texture?) between the two multi uv texture samples.
    usually the fading it rather smooth and not very noticeable but as the camera in the webplayer is very fast you can definitely see it…

lars

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

9. lazygunn

lazygunn

You have my money, great job! I'll try get something fancy done (between doing other things) with it soon then maybe it can shift a few extra units

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i hope you will enjoy it.

lars

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi - Does this work with Unity (b11)?

12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you mean unity 4 b11?
    i have not tested it, but it should – although it is not optimized for 4.0.
    things should be much easier there…

lars

13. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

i am working on a second demo terrain – and this is the first preview.
    [open in new tab/window to see in full size]

$terrain_2nd.jpg

using the rock texture as decal to redefine edges:

$terrain_2nd_decals.jpg

i hope you like it,

lars

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  14. SevenBits

SevenBits

Cool?, can we see a web player?

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi sevenbits,

not convinced?
    i have only worked one 0.001% of the terrain but of course you can have a web player:
    http://bit.ly/R7g2EE

lars

16. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Beautiful !

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks.
    and i have to admit: i like it too ;-)

lars

18. imtrobin

imtrobin

How does this differ/work with from the Terrain Decals you released recently?

19. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the color map Ultra shader is more complex (and more expensive to render) than the decal shader.
    if you just paint the terrain using unity’s built in terrain tools then probably the decal shader is the right one for you.
    if you want to use a color map and use decals mainly just to add more variation to the edges between the textures – in this case the color map ultra shader is the right one for you.

color map Ultra shader supports:
    * 1 overall colormap
    * 1 overal normal map for the whole terrain
    * 6 detail tetxtures (bump mapped)
    * 2 detail textures (bump mapped) reused and blended as decals

decal shader supports:
    * 4 detail textures
    * 2 independent decals (bump mapped)
    * 2 detail textures (bump mapped) reused and blended as decals

lars

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  20. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

you're a wizard.

Purchased!

21. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Just FYI everything works perfectly in Unity 4 I can confirm, only difference is you don't need to override the inbuilt shader you can call it whatever you want, create a blank material with your shader selected and set that as the terrain material and everything works perfectly. (It may even be possible to expose the other values to the material that you are setting in script and make the script a lot lot simpler)

22. lazygunn

lazygunn

ive spent the day messing around with world machine and this shader and i can honestly say it looks better than id even hoped when everythings set up nicely, looks phenomenal, great work lars

i might have to point out to readers of this thread that if you're working on terrains at all you'd have to be crazy not to get this, its really quite something, at less than 10 euros that instantly puts unity's terrain into a fair shout with 'bigger' engines? crazy, unity should be paying this guy

i'll get some screenshots of my work up when i'm happy with them

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  23. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Lars, I was looking to extend your shader ever so slightly and I just need one free color channel to do it. Obviously you've maxed out the texture samplers so on looking at the shader I noticed the color map does not do anything with the alpha channel. However on looking at your demo files the color map for the example scene has a very intricate alpha map, looks like a flowmap. Just wanted to double check this is not being used anywhere?

Many thanks, having a lot of fun with this so far

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

That's great! This would make it possible to combine the shader exports, no? So then you could use multiple of Lars's shaders per project. Fantastic!

25. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

SevenBits, it allows you to convert the 'hacked' monobehaviour approach to changing shader values into a totally legitimate shader with all properties exposed to a material. No need for forcing shader globals any more, now you can have as many materials as you like with lars' shader. All with different settings for all the textures and colors etc can use em all in the same scene on different terrains if that's what you want.
    It's a pretty simple process to convert, just expose all the variables that are being set in the cs file in shaderlab then your good to attach it to a blank material and start setting it up. Then set your terrain to use that material and everything works like magic.

I've sent my shader converted to Lars so he may include it in an update if he wishes :)

26. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks!

27. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi quickfingers,

the alpha channel of the color map is not used in the shader (it only samples rgb) so you can use this channel for whatever you want: overall specularity, dynamic destruction or to cut holes into the terrain… if i ever add snow to this shader this might be the slot where the "snow shadows" would be stored.

what would you store in the channel? i am really interested as i had no really useful idea so far.

lars

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  28. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks! i will have a look into it and probably publish an update soon.

lars

29. SevenBits

SevenBits

Ah, I see. Okay.

30. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Purchased and actually i think i'm gonna switch back to unity terrain in the end now that i have this, or use both at the same time depending on target.
    Are the assets free to use in our games too? I like those detail textures.

31. janpec

janpec

Lars have you been thinking on adding tree and grass masks like Frostbite engine has? Or maybe adding realtime destruction or deformation?

Just laying out some future ideas how you could improve terrain....

32. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi janpec,

i have not been thinking about tree or grass masks yet as you can already import those using toms terrain tools.
    same with real time destruction which has already been implemented by some guy, even several times if i remember it right. …leaving aside the fact that destruction does not only affect the shader.

but there are lot of things like snow or rain and puddles that could come to the color map shader in future versions.

right now it is a multi purpose solution supporting forward and deferred lighting, lightmaps and projectors. dropping some of this features (e.g. only supporting real time lighting) might push the boundaries a little bit further.
    and of course you already can adjust it to fit your needs (like Quickfingers has done to support holes in the terrain).

as far as the terrain system as a whole is concerned: i think unity should and probably will really come up with something completely new.

lars

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  33. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

You skiped my question :(
    Can i use the detail textures that are part of the package commercially?

34. SevenBits

SevenBits

It's probably best to use a private message for this.

35. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'd disagree, this is a question on the asset and it's not specific to me, since the textures are really nice i think others may want to make sure before including it in their projects.

36. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i guess ronan is right, and i really apologize for being so late answering this question.

and as i am very short of time at the moment i do not even have a satisfying answer yet:
    working on the ultra shader i just took the best fitting textures from my personal archive which should be mostly free of any copyrights – mostly, i have to admit, because it is a heavy mix of own photography, free and public domain texture sources and some crysis and skyrim mods.
    so i spent quite a while already looking through different hard drives to find the original source of each texture in the package.
    it still will take some time to get everything cleared and i might even have to replace some textures in case i can not reproduce the original source.
    so until then i just would ask you to take the package as a plain shader.

even if this means some extra work for me i thank ronan for pointing this out.

lars

37. SevenBits

SevenBits

Although I have not purchased the package than you for pointing this out. That should make everything clear.

38. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Thanks for the info, i'll wait for an update.
    If you find out they're not royalty free could you try and track where the rock and the flower detail textures came from? I'd love to licence them.
    (And if they're royalty free and you're allowed to re licence them in this way, omg up the price it's already cheap for the shader alone . . .)

39. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi ronan,

you can definitely use the rock detail texture, but what do you mean with "flower detail" texture?
    there isn’t any in the package…

lars

40. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Sorry you're right, i only looked for afar and some of the white dots i had guessed to be flowers.
    The textures i like are 02 forest, 03 rock if you can check for those 2 (well you actually already answered for one).
    I'm still interested in all of them but i can very much live with only having an answer on those 2.

41. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

forest: go for it. no issues with that.

lars

42. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Great thanks! Was already a steal for the shader, now i'm just feeling guilty :)

43. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

great! i hope you enjoy it.
    and share your experience and some pics of what you have done with it – please.
    that might help me selling the shader ;-) but also will encourage people jump into the discussion i hope.

lars

44. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Will be a while before i can share anything :( just started on a very large WM project that will like span a couple hundred of nodes and am thinking of renting a very large server to render it, i'll be lucky if i have anything non low-res to show in the coming monthes :(

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm hoping to have something to show quite soon, i've aleady made a terrain with some very pretty elements thanks to the colourmap but due to my own inexperience some of the terrain itself was quite ugly and not how i'd like to represent the shader. I'm trying a new approach to creating a colourmap today, i hope, that should be quite fun, using dreamscape/max/vray/substances that with any luck will give a very nice high fidelity look, and if not, i'll try something else, but i'll certainly have something to show eventually.

46. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Just a quick bump in case you have private message notifications disabled, sent you a private message yesterday.

47. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

i have just sent an updated version of the shader to the asset store.
    it now supports unity 4.x natively (and unity 3.x of course) which gives you the possibility to easliy setup multiple terrains within one scene – just read the readme file. Many thanks to quickfingers!
    some detail textures have changed also, so everything should be cleared now.

lars

48. imtrobin

imtrobin

So this ultra shader is a super set of the decal shader? Dang, I bought the decal shader when it was released, and it's obselete already.

49. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi imtrobin,

the decal shader is not obsolete at all and there are quite some reasons to use it:
    1. it is faster to render and uses less texture memory
    2. it gives you "real" decals supporting a user defined height map hence better blending
    3. in case you do not use external tools to create color and splat maps it fits better with unity’s built in terrain painting system and is much more intuitiv to use

lars

50. Killstar

Killstar

Hi Lars, Is it possible to add the normalmaps to detail objects?
    For example, - I would like to do a stony plain and add a million little stone, like grass, but with normalmap?