Search Unity

Atlas Encoder - Opinions

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by nekroadmin, Jan 6, 2012.

1. nekroadmin

nekroadmin

Hello guys, I need your opinion about something I have created.
    (I'm Greek and my English are bad, so bear with me) :p
    Ok, let's start. I call this tool Atlas Encoder, which is an Atlas Texture generator
    written in C#. It auto-organizes all the Textures located in a given directory and packs them
    into an Atlas. It has a Texture Importer copier so you can apply your given
    Texture settings to these textures at once. It has a script which is used as
    a Component on a GameObject, and then you drop your exported Atlas on the Texture field.
    It also exports a text file which has your Textures Rects. Then you just refer from any script
    your preferable Texture by its name and you're done! (Like a database or something)

Ofcourse you can reverse the functionality of the tool, and regenerate from your Atlas
    all the Textures and save them as png files.

So, should I upload it on Asset Store, and if I do, you much money I should put?

Screenshots:

2. nekroadmin

nekroadmin

Do you find it interesting? Would you buy it? :)

3. Krobill

Krobill

What does your tool bring to the already existing PackTextures method ?
    There's only one feature seriously lacking in the PackTextures method which is the ability to choose the background color for your atlas.
    If you want potential buyers, I think you need at least :
    - the ability to choose a background color for each texture...
    - or even better, the fact that your tool is performing an automatic padding around each transparent object with the border color propagated on a selectable number of pixels in the RGB channels.
    - you should also be able to generate your atlas from the editor or at runtime

4. nekroadmin

nekroadmin

Well, since it generates an atlas with transparent background, i don't find the reason why use color on background...
    It can be generated from the editor only, and yes, it's using the PackTextures method.

5. Krobill

Krobill

When the mipmaps are created for your atlas, pixels of the outline of each sprite is blended with its neighbors. If you don't define a coherent and continous RGB value for these transparent pixels, you end up with dirty sprites when you scale them down. It's an operation one can easily do with a photoshop script (by duplicating and offsetting layers) but if you want to have a real value for your tool other than just adding a visual interface to PackTexture, I think that's something you should think about.

6. nekroadmin

nekroadmin

From the Texture manual about mipmaps: «You should always use mipmaps for in-game textures; the only exceptions are textures that will never be minified (e.g. GUI textures).»
    Well this Atlas generator is about GUI Textures. So, it doesn't use mipmaps anyway... As it is... there is no bug, glitch, fault or something that i have forgotten to put in the tool...
    Well... thats all!