Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlantis

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AaronC, Jul 18, 2006.

1. AaronC

AaronC

Heres where Im up to with this one. I'll update this once I've got a bit more to it. If you can think of ways to have an enemy sub on the same "plane"(so its actually shootable) let me know. Maybe theres a way thru scripting that I can keep the enemy at the same position on the Y axis as the launcher...
    AC
    Updated July28

Attached Files:

2. Garen

Garen

3. Morgan

Morgan

Neat. I like the bubble trails. Ctrl shoots, I discovered. (Does anyone else have the problem where ctrl-clicking to go Fullscreen makes Ctrl and the button "stick down" in every Unity webplayer? So you're "auto-firing" until you hit it again? I reported the bug, but I've never heard anyone else mention it and makes the mouse buttons nearly useless in webplayers.)

I'm not sure what you plan for the enemies, but what about using a homing script that only homes on the vertical axis (lerp, or base it on the homing missile tutorial), leaving the player to deal with the aiming left-right? Then your enemies could be on different planes for variety but still get shot just like in a 2D game.

(Also, the mouse seems way too fast--it spins crazily--but I realize that's just a camera anyway.)

Also, some blue fog might look nice :) Looks like a great start!

4. AaronC

AaronC

LMB should fire torpedoes, and ctrl. when I play it on my pc, firing crashes the game.(Task manager reveals overloaded cpu) Maybe because the instantiated torpedoes have a spinning propeller animation. I'll remove this because you cant even see it. Might slightly reduce draw distance for better perfomance...

Thanks for feedback
    AC

5. Morgan

Morgan

FYI, LMB didn't do anything for me.

(And I did get a "crash"--the kind I sometimes get with Unity: it SAYS Safari--or my Unity app--has unexpectedly quit... but it hasn't. This is on Mac.)

6. AaronC

AaronC

Ive removed the propeller and its animation so hopefully the torpedos instantiate properly now
    Morgan could you let me know if it works if you have time?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

7. freyr

freyr

This is a case where Apple's crash reporter thinks it's smarter than Unity. When accessing an undefined variable in Unity, a null pointer reference exception is generated, which is handled by Unity. But Crash Reporter sees it also and begins creating stack traces and reports that the application has crashed. (Which may hang unity for a while.) There is no official way to disable this behaviour according to apple (apparently it has something to do how Mac OS X simulates Unix signals vs. mach's native ports...)

I have also added a note about it on the Common Scripting Pitfalls page in the unify wiki.

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

When you run it inside of Unity it will give you a Null reference exception somewhere. In Unity it gives you some more information of why that is happening. You can double click on the error and that brings you to the line in the script it is happening.

Most likely something like a reference to an object that was forgotten or accessing a componenent that you havent added to a game object. The error message in Unity should tell you more.

Those error messages shouldnt be ignored, you should either fix your script or add some component/assign some reference depending on what it says.

9. Morgan

Morgan

It seems about the same to me, but the problem is intermittent: sometimes the button won't fire, then a few seconds later it's working again. So it's hard for me to say if the new version is better or not, or whether the key has the same problem as the button.

(There is a beachball of several seconds after the player loads but before the game image appears, FWIW.)

10. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Heya, just downloaded it. im using a very up2date windows pc, first time i tried it it crashed my browser (firefox)
    second time i got into it, the mouse control is absolutely [word that would probably get me banned for life] ;) and i tried pressing left mouse button and the browser froze
    not gonna bother with it again, unless an update is launched fixing the probs ^^

havnt had problems with any other web games
    (except for lighting being much to dark on most of the older games)

11. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks shallow! Must say I've enjoyed your efforts. The mouse has been slowed, and as per other requests, the sub has been sped up. I have found inconsistencies with its performance as far as instantiating torpedoes, Its not updated yet but dont expect it to be the answer to all your expectations...

Not updated yet
    AC :p

12. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

ok, ill give it a try when its been updated

13. AaronC

AaronC

Updated-Id be keen to hear if you have torpedoes or not!
    AC
    PS Thanks to the guys hoo help with scripting

14. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

i just tried the updated version, the thingy moved forwards, i could turn the camera around it, but the second i pressed left mouse button the browser froze

15. AaronC

AaronC

Yeah funny that.The G5 at school handles it, instantiates topedoes and they appear and onCollision are replaced w explosions...The keys are wasd-Did the surface have a wide moving shadow across it?My Gforce4 doesnt render any of that, but it does do blob shadow, which is cool...
    So no Instantiating is not working yet so hold off from downloading-Ill fix it on monday 8)
    AC

16. Garen

Garen

My sub crashed, but not my browser :D Couldn't wait. I had to download. Looking even better Targos. I like the moving shadow across the surface. It realy adds to that underwater feel. I remember seeing an underwater shot from a goo ball level. Oh, here it is http://unity3d.com/gallery/main/underwater1.jpg.html Does anyone know how they simulated the caustics and is it animated. This would look cool in your game.

Help! There is a blob shadow stuck to the side of my sub. I've only played with blob shadows once and I had the same problem. Is there a way to make the object that the projector is parented to not effected by the blob shadow or is there a certain way to set up a blob shadow for an object so that you don't get the blob shadow appearing on the object thats supposed to be casting the shadow?

Can't wait to see more.

17. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

oh btw, its defenetly not my pc unable to handle it:

2X2,8ghz
    nvidia geforce 7800gt
    52mbram
    windows xp home sp2
    firefox 1.5.0.5

18. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You can use the culling mask in the projector to not render the shadow on the caster.

Just put the player in a special layer, then include that layer in the projectors exclude mask.

19. AaronC

AaronC

Ohh I dont know how youre gonna get on with 52mb ram-looks like you might need to upgrade :wink:

Har har just kidding typorama
    AC
    But seriously, you have 2x8ghtz chips? Did it fall off a NASA truck?